ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

Why would Campbell want to leave ISU for Michigan? He can win 7 to 10 games in Ames and they will consider him a Cyclone God, but if he goes to Michigan, 10 wins aren't enough if he can't beat tOSU. Take the easy money Matt, stay at ISU. LOL
Would Texas be an ideal job for him?

* He'll make a LOT more money
* The program's revenue is insanely good, unlike ISU's
* Better facilities
* National brand
* Austin is a great city
* Recruiting will be easier (go after the Texas kids)
* If he can finish 1st in the Big 12 at ISU, he should be able to finish 1st at Texas
* Better chance at making the CFP at Texas
* He's already beating Oklahoma on a regular basis. He should be able to beat Oklahoma coaching in Austin, too

That’s a pretty easy spin on Campbell telling them no. I’m sure the NFL teams going after him couldn’t afford the buyout either.

tenor.gif

Wow. How dumb are you?

* Better facilities
* National brand
* Austin is a great city
* If he can finish 1st in the Big 12 at ISU, he should be able to finish 1st at Texas
* He's already beating Oklahoma on a regular basis. He should be able to beat Oklahoma coaching in Austin, too
I agree, he'll make more money but the pressure to win will be much much higher, and season's that ISU fans would be doing backflips over could get him fired at Michigan, Oklahoma or Texas. LOL :)

Reactions: Franisdaman
Iowa fans judge him on one game. ISU fans don't.
He won't be going to Texas. Beyond that, no clue.

So a little similar to how ISU fans used to judge KF on his record against ISU? It happens. Is the hard no to Texas from inside info or based on the coach speak items?

No, I'm not comparing Michigan to Iowa State - Michigan has the far better name. My point is that some are saying that he'd be crazy to turn down Michigan and I'm saying Michigan no longer has the lure that it had a couple of decades ago - and it doesn't for sure. Campbell is eventually leaving Iowa State for a bigtime program as he's turned down a few schools recently including FSU. His name pops up in almost every coaching search.
Big Ten > Sun Belt > Big 12

We’ll never know, will we?

How many non-conference games did the Big 10 play this year???

Iowa has lost a couple head-scratchers. Just like Iowa State.

I am only impressed w MC because ISU has been a horrible program. That said, the B12 is not good this year so it is hard to evaluate if this is the year you are focusing on. Past several years they have certainly been "better" than under prior coaches, but we are not talking about significant wins or championships. Has Campbell ever won a bowl game? Has never beaten Iowa.

Purdy will be gone this year or next. Don't care what he says now. The iron will never be hotter. He has enough money for this lifetime. Now it is about the challenge and the glory.

If Michigan offers and MC stays at ISU he is dumber than a box of rocks and I'd question why he is staying, to milk ISU for all he can? Because ISU is loyal and will offer him stability? Ask Danny Mac how ISU rewards loyalty.

But once you have millions, what does it all matter. If I had say $5 mill or more banked and invested and someone fired me and had to pay out my contract for more millions. I would just flipping laugh on my way out.

We’ll never know, will we?

How many non-conference games did the Big 10 play this year???

Iowa has lost a couple head-scratchers. Just like Iowa State.

The Rajun Cajins was a hhhhhuuuuuuggggeee head scratcher they way they just pummeled them on that last drive. Broke their will.

Schools that played noncon games > big10. That sunbelt team ISU lost to is ranked higher than the hawks and 9 other teams in the big ten. You’re ****ing blind if you’ve watched the big 10 this year and thought “this is good football”.
It is a down year with Penn St and Michigan being down but Indiana would still dominate your powderpuff league

Last edited:
Schools that played noncon games > big10. That sunbelt team ISU lost to is ranked higher than the hawks and 9 other teams in the big ten. You’re ****ing blind if you’ve watched the big 10 this year and thought “this is good football”.

Haven't seen much Big 12 football this year primarily due to the handful of games I have seen, was terrible football.

Penn State
Penn State fans aren’t happy with Franklin. His buyout is $32 million, so they would like to “trade him”!! Since PSU has tanked this year, don’t think USC would take him if they fire their coach( he would need to lose a couple more). The Campbell to Penn State isn’t a bad idea , for Penn State fans. I agree, Campbell would live the Ohio State job. Campbell to PSU is interesting. If PSU could unload Franklin ( with minimal or no buyout), Lions would open up their checkbook for Campbell. Plus, Campbell isn’t going anywhere in the Big12. I agree with others, he does have loyalty to Iowa State. ( don’t think he would take another job in his conference). It is another school for the Campbell rumor mill/ discussion.
Most coaches would love to play in Beaver Stadium with 110,000 fans.

* Better facilities
* National brand
* Austin is a great city
It could happen, but I’m not sure he would want to go to a competing Big 12 team. With that said/ concern, for 8-9 million a year, the moving van could leave tomorrow!

Lolol on the salary pool and revenue/debt situation. You might be confusing this with the 75 million dollar loan Barta had to take to get Iowa through this year.

Campbell has shown he likes the process of building a program from the ground up, which is where we were at when he took over. You underestimate what Pollard has done at ISU. If ISU can come up with 90 mill for a sports performance center, we can keep Campbell happy. He’s turned down countless good P5 and NFL offers. He’s built different.

I do think he could dominate the Big 10 with how much it sucks this year.

He can't dominate Louisiana...

Campbell waiting on Notre Dame is a crazy idea with the difficulty in getting recruits into the school as you are afforded only one recruit a year if he can’t meet their admissions requirements. That’s why Urban Meyer decided against coaching there. Recruiting standards are just too tough.

Campbell is better off sticking around until Purdy is gone then leave or when the right job opens up. He has done a hell of a job at ISU but he wasn’t very good till Purdy started playing and a qb like him makes a coach look a helluva a lot smarter than he really is. Look at the qb’s he rolled through to find the right one in Purdy. And what was everyone doing and thinking after the Louisiana loss? Hasn’t beaten Iowa or won a bowl game. He’s good but not all that and a bag of chips. ISU has caught lightning in a bottle during this crazy year of covid. And even if he wins the B12 which I don’t think they will if they play OU in the championship game, the winner still won’t qualify for a play off spot.

Campbell waiting on Notre Dame is a crazy idea with the difficulty in getting recruits into the school as you are afforded only one recruit a year if he can’t meet their admissions requirements. That’s why Urban Meyer decided against coaching there. Recruiting standards are just too tough.

Campbell is better off sticking around until Purdy is gone then leave or when the right job opens up. He has done a hell of a job at ISU but he wasn’t very good till Purdy started playing and a qb like him makes a coach look a helluva a lot smarter than he really is. Look at the qb’s he rolled through to find the right one in Purdy. And what was everyone doing and thinking after the Louisiana loss? Hasn’t beaten Iowa or won a bowl game. He’s good but not all that and a bag of chips. ISU has caught lightning in a bottle during this crazy year of covid. And even if he wins the B12 which I don’t think they will if they play OU in the championship game, the winner still won’t qualify for a play off spot.
He hasn't beaten Iowa. That's a big deal on this board. It's also a big deal for ISU fans, but I don't know any who would trade one of the conference wins for it. I doubt if it means anything at all to any school that might be looking to hire him.

He has won a bowl game. Beat Memphis in Memphis.

Wasn't very good before Purdy? Before Purdy, Iowa State under Campbell had two wins over top-five teams.

He "rolled through" quarterbacks because they got hurt (Kempt) or went batshit crazy (Park). Purdy has been the starter since early in his true freshman season.

Everybody was very unhappy after the Louisiana loss.

I’m curious what the “countless” Power 5 and NFL offers are that Matt Campbell has already turned down? Calling heavy bullshit on that one. 😅
A lot of the time its nothing more than some writer throwing sh.. at the wall.
With Campbell though I think its legit.

Last edited:
I agree, he'll make more money but the pressure to win will be much much higher, and season's that ISU fans would be doing backflips over could get him fired at Michigan, Oklahoma or Texas. LOL :)
What would you do if you were him?

He can get better players if he went to Texas so it should be easier to win conference championships. And that likely gets them to the CFP.

Does he want to coach in the CFP or stay in Lames where that will never happen?

Reactions: scotthawk1964
The Rajun Cajins was a hhhhhuuuuuuggggeee head scratcher they way they just pummeled them on that last drive. Broke their will.
It's not THAT much of a head scratcher. ISU consistently plays like shit vs any team from any other conference- Notre Dame, Iowa, Louisiana, UNI, Drake. They look good against Big 12 teams because, well, its the Big 12. Brock Purdy is totally lost against Drake but he's Aaron Rodgers against conference opponents.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
What would you do if you were him?

He can get better players if he went to Texas so it should be easier to win conference championships. And that likely gets them to the CFP.

Does he want to coach in the CFP or stay in Lames where that will never happen?
Most coaches I think like the challenge, and like to work their way up the coaching ladder. ISU is certainly not a destination job, so I think it's only a matter of time till Campbell flee's. However, he may choose to stay a few years if he thinks he has something special going on. I seriously doubt he spends 20 plus years at ISU like Kirk, but before Hayden came to Iowa I don't think it was a destination job. Fortunately, their are enough good coaches out their with Iowa ties that when Kirk hangs it up we can get a good coach with Hawk roots.

For Matt Campbell, you can stay at a school like ISU where you might get a shot at a conference title game every once in a blue moon, but in all likelihood you’ll fizzle back to mediocrity in 3-4 years. OR, go to a tradition and history rich blue blood program like Michigan for a shot at turning things around... where your chances of competing for a national title are much better.

Seems like a no brainer, but then again, Ferentz stayed at Iowa in the early to mid 2000s when he had several big name schools and NFL teams after him.

He turned down 7M per year at Tennessee. He has had at least 6 NFL gigs try to get him. There is a big name program he would consider in College football, and it is not Michigan or Ohio State or Nebraska or Texas.

Please list the NFL teams that offered him a contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT