ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh to Bears - Matt Campbell to Michigan

If Purdy is that great he will be gone after this year.

Purdy will never see the NFL. You have to be able to stand and deliver in the face of a pending hit. Purdy curls up into a ball anytime a rush is coming. Never seen a college player who was so averse to contact.

Penn State fans aren’t happy with Franklin. His buyout is $32 million, so they would like to “trade him”!! Since PSU has tanked this year, don’t think USC would take him if they fire their coach( he would need to lose a couple more). The Campbell to Penn State isn’t a bad idea , for Penn State fans. I agree, Campbell would live the Ohio State job. Campbell to PSU is interesting. If PSU could unload Franklin ( with minimal or no buyout), Lions would open up their checkbook for Campbell. Plus, Campbell isn’t going anywhere in the Big12. I agree with others, he does have loyalty to Iowa State. ( don’t think he would take another job in his conference). It is another school for the Campbell rumor mill/ discussion.
Most coaches would love to play in Beaver Stadium with 110,000 fans.

Franklin was 42-11 the four seasons preceeding this one. I highly doubt many schools are going to axe coaches over disappointing results this year. Practice routines are a new experience for everyone this year. Players largely are going though the motions this season. I will give Campbell and his team credit for putting forth more effort than the majority of teams they have played this year. It isn't their fault the majority of players aren't taking things seriously.

Campbell waiting on Notre Dame is a crazy idea with the difficulty in getting recruits into the school as you are afforded only one recruit a year if he can’t meet their admissions requirements. That’s why Urban Meyer decided against coaching there. Recruiting standards are just too tough.

Campbell is better off sticking around until Purdy is gone then leave or when the right job opens up. He has done a hell of a job at ISU but he wasn’t very good till Purdy started playing and a qb like him makes a coach look a helluva a lot smarter than he really is. Look at the qb’s he rolled through to find the right one in Purdy. And what was everyone doing and thinking after the Louisiana loss? Hasn’t beaten Iowa or won a bowl game. He’s good but not all that and a bag of chips. ISU has caught lightning in a bottle during this crazy year of covid. And even if he wins the B12 which I don’t think they will if they play OU in the championship game, the winner still won’t qualify for a play off spot.

Can you list the teams with above-average defenses Purdy has beaten? Did you watch their bowl game with ND last year? He limped off the field cause he was beaten and didn't want to stick around for the end. Contrast that with Beathard getting the hell beaten out of him against Florida yet standing tall the entire game. Purdy will never take a snap in the NFL.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Campbell waiting on Notre Dame is a crazy idea with the difficulty in getting recruits into the school as you are afforded only one recruit a year if he can’t meet their admissions requirements. That’s why Urban Meyer decided against coaching there. Recruiting standards are just too tough.

Seeing how ISU hasn't had an elite recruiting class ever, it's probably safe to say it's a hell of a lot harder to bring blue chip players into Ames than South Bend.

For Matt Campbell, you can stay at a school like ISU where you might get a shot at a conference title game every once in a blue moon, but in all likelihood you’ll fizzle back to mediocrity in 3-4 years. OR, go to a tradition and history rich blue blood program like Michigan for a shot at turning things around... where your chances of competing for a national title are much better.

Seems like a no brainer, but then again, Ferentz stayed at Iowa in the early to mid 2000s when he had several big name schools and NFL teams after him.

The idea that certain former blueblood schools are still attractive, job-wise, is one of the classic misguided tropes of our time.

For instance, there are four schools, off the top of my head--Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska, UCLA (and of course, numerous others, I'm sure)--where the media and talking heads all go, "They'll be lining up in Ann Arbor/Lincoln/Knoxville/Westwood/etc. for a shot at THAT job!"

A Nebraska fan looks in the mirror and mistakes a tired, beat-up, gray, shriveled shell of a program and somehow sees the equivalent of Bama or Clemson. A Michigan fan sees three straight years of 9-3 or 10-2, without a win against O$U, and acts as if Bo beat Woody every time they played. A Tennessee fan base saw Greg Schiano as evil incarnate due to the massive log in their own eye, as the Good Book talks about.

In other words, the Michigan job has outdated, unrealistic expectations based on the state of that program in 1988 or 1997. The expectations no longer match the commitment and reality of the program. ISU and Ames may be a lot closer to the Ohio in which Campbell grew up than Michigan and Ann Arbor will ever be.

The idea that certain former blueblood schools are still attractive, job-wise, is one of the classic misguided tropes of our time.

For instance, there are four schools, off the top of my head--Michigan, Tennessee, Nebraska, UCLA (and of course, numerous others, I'm sure)--where the media and talking heads all go, "They'll be lining up in Ann Arbor/Lincoln/Knoxville/Westwood/etc. for a shot at THAT job!"

A Nebraska fan looks in the mirror and mistakes a tired, beat-up, gray, shriveled shell of a program and somehow sees the equivalent of Bama or Clemson. A Michigan fan sees three straight years of 9-3 or 10-2, without a win against O$U, and acts as if Bo beat Woody every time they played. A Tennessee fan base saw Greg Schiano as evil incarnate due to the massive log in their own eye, as the Good Book talks about.

In other words, the Michigan job has outdated, unrealistic expectations based on the state of that program in 1988 or 1997. The expectations no longer match the commitment and reality of the program. ISU and Ames may be a lot closer to the Ohio in which Campbell grew up than Michigan and Ann Arbor will ever be.

Tennessee (driven by Clay Travis) was "Gruden or nothing". Travis dredged up the Schiano story out of the past to make TN rescind the offer and throw everything they had at Gruden.

ISU is looking more and more likely to face the sad reality of their football program. They're a stepping stone to greater things and probably always will be. Once a coach starts having consistent success there, he'll be hired away to a bigger program. Just like Earle Bruce was.
As long as ISU can keep getting an up and comer that keeps the program a consistent 8-4 program that would seem like a good trade off given where they are as a program. Look at the excitement a new stafff brings..eternal optimism they will go undefeated.

Big Ten > Sun Belt > Big 12

UL > 75% of the teams on Iowa’s schedule. How’s that loss to Purdue holding up? Would you rather lose to UL or Purdue?

One of those two teams in the top 25% just dropped one to MSU. Lol

Last edited:
They don’t make it that far dumbshit. You can google article after article about NFL teams reaching out to him.

Hmmm, dumbshit-I DID a Google search and the only thing that came up was a link to two DMR articles. Randy Peterson (no less authoritative than Moses) quoted Ian Rapaport as saying the Jets were denied an interview with him. No other teams mentioned but somehow Peterson parlayed that into six teams. Sounds a little bit like the freshman guy multiplier for sexual conquests. And why would ISU deny anyone from interviewing him? Coaches with contracts interview all the time. That is why they all have buyout clauses. Also of note was the article was pre-2019. You remember, the year that was going to be the greatest in the history of the program? The year that ended up 7-6 and your guys getting bareass spanked by ND before suffering the same fate at the hands of the Ragin Cajuns to start this season?
Sounds very much like cult worship and propaganda. I rate the "6 NFL teams expressed interest" claim as 95% bullshit. Now provide FACTS to prove me wrong.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
ISU fans in this thread are adamant to prove that Campbell wouldn’t ever leave ISU. They’re not trying the hardest to prove it to Iowa fans though. They’re trying to prove it to themselves.

I never said he wouldn’t leave. He will. There has just been nothing at this point saying he’s even taken an interview with another team.

Do they not teach math at Kirkwood? You have 8 teams on your schedule and 6 of them are dogshit and would get smoked by UL.

Keep clinging to that. Not sure how math would prove that 6 of 8 dogsh*t premise. If it does than math would indicate that the Big 12 is dogsh*t this year with their results. It’s okay to admit that ISU played horrible in that game and UL caught lightening in a bottle.
Pro tip, enjoy your season, it doesn’t happen often. Quit wasting time dealing with what Iowa fans think. Find some people and celebrate the positive.

Lolol on the salary pool and revenue/debt situation. You might be confusing this with the 75 million dollar loan Barta had to take to get Iowa through this year.

Campbell has shown he likes the process of building a program from the ground up, which is where we were at when he took over. You underestimate what Pollard has done at ISU. If ISU can come up with 90 mill for a sports performance center, we can keep Campbell happy. He’s turned down countless good P5 and NFL offers. He’s built different.

I do think he could dominate the Big 10 with how much it sucks this year.

Why did the mighty Texas Ten go 0-3 against the Sun Belt if they are so much better than the Big Ten?

You might want to tell Jeff Sagarin just how wrong he has it when he ranks the quality of the Big Ten as compared to the Texas Ten.

Let us know what he says.

Good luck.

One more year MAX.

This is correct. I can see him and Purdy going out at the same time. They will lose Kolar and Terry Allen's kid. Will be interesting to see what Breece Hall does. Maybe he goes with lower miles on the tires.

I never said he wouldn’t leave. He will. There has just been nothing at this point saying he’s even taken an interview with another team.

He would never interview mid-season. I guarantee you the feelers are out to his agent.

Do they not teach math at Kirkwood? You have 8 teams on your schedule and 6 of them are dogshit and would get smoked by UL.

UL, lol. Give me a break. ISU got curb stomped by them. Go back and watch that last drive by UL against your vaunted defense. They quit.

Reactions: Franisdaman
He would never interview mid-season. I guarantee you the feelers are out to his agent.

He doesn’t have an agent which is probably how Randy Peterson knows what NFL teams reached out. They did so through the AD. There is no indication he’s taken an interview in years prior to now.

Last edited:
Why did the mighty Texas Ten go 0-3 against the Sun Belt if they are so much better than the Big Ten?

You might want to tell Jeff Sagarin just how wrong he has it when he ranks the quality of the Big Ten as compared to the Texas Ten.

Let us know what he says.

Good luck.

Trying to use sagarin conference rankings in a year where the big 10 didn’t play any noncon games... lololol Metrics need data points and the big 10 has zero outside their own conference. Sagarin has Pedo State in the top 20...

Didn’t someone already explain this to you when you fired up yet another username on Cyclone Fanatic? You’ve gotta have 10+ usernames over there by now.

Last edited:
He doesn’t have an agent which is probably how Randy Peterson knows what NFL teams reached out. They did so through the AD. There is no indication he’s taken an interview in years prior to now.

C'mon man he has an agent or an attorney that receives and reviews shit. He may need to get the AD's permission to talk to someone else, but he is not using JP as his agent or his receptionist to take inquiries.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Trying to use sagarin conference rankings in a year where the big 10 didn’t play any noncon games... lololol Metrics need data points and the big 10 has zero outside their own conference. Sagarin has Pedo State in the top 20...

Didn’t someone already explain this to you when you fired up yet another username on Cyclone Fanatic? You’ve gotta have 10+ usernames over there by now.

If you say so CyTwins. Why is it clown fans demand that Sagarin be ignored once it doesn’t say what they want it to?

At least clown fans’ obsession with Big Bro is alive and well.

Reactions: Franisdaman
C'mon man he has an agent or an attorney that receives and reviews shit. He may need to get the AD's permission to talk to someone else, but he is not using JP as his agent or his receptionist to take inquiries.

No agent and deals with football matters himself.

About halfway down the article on this one.

Nope if CyTwins says it clown fans buy it hook line and sinker. The leader of the isu fan base can’t be questioned. If you do he goes all Trump on you and sends out the Proud Boys to show you who the boss is.

This is correct. I can see him and Purdy going out at the same time. They will lose Kolar and Terry Allen's kid. Will be interesting to see what Breece Hall does. Maybe he goes with lower miles on the tires.
Hall isn't eligible for the NFL yet. Only two years past high school graduation. I suppose he could transfer or quit football and enter the priesthood or something. One never knows.

Kolar is a junior, but will graduate this year in mechanical engineering. Could do a grad transfer, could go pro, could come back for another year at ISU.

One other point: Everybody on the team gets an extra year of eligibility, So guys who are listed as seniors this season aren't necessarily going to be gone next year.

If you say so CyTwins. Why is it clown fans demand that Sagarin be ignored once it doesn’t say what they want it to?

At least clown fans’ obsession with Big Bro is alive and well.

Yep. You got me. I’m the infamous CyTwins.

“Clown” fans understand basic statistics. You can’t run a model without a real dataset. You can’t compare conferences without playing schools outside of your own conference. That’s how you get a 1-5 team like Pedo State in the top 25. Computer rankings are garbage this year.

You should go back and try getting that GED. You might learn something.

Yep. You got me. I’m the infamous CyTwins.

“Clown” fans understand basic statistics. You can’t run a model without a real dataset. You can’t compare conferences without playing schools outside of your own conference. That’s how you get a 1-5 team like Pedo State in the top 25. Computer rankings are garbage this year.

You should go back and try getting that GED. You might learn something.

You really believe that one non conference game makes a difference in “data points”? Let me guess you are one of those isu “statistics” grads aren’t you?

No clown fans pick and choose when Sagarin counts and when it doesn’t you are no different. You don’t have to tell us you are an isu grad, your little bro syndrome does it does it for us. I mean it is a requirement for graduation from isu isn’t it?

Last edited:
Hall isn't eligible for the NFL yet. Only two years past high school graduation. I suppose he could transfer or quit football and enter the priesthood or something. One never knows.

Kolar is a junior, but will graduate this year in mechanical engineering. Could do a grad transfer, could go pro, could come back for another year at ISU.

One other point: Everybody on the team gets an extra year of eligibility, So guys who are listed as seniors this season aren't necessarily going to be gone next year.

Kolar will be gone. He would get drafted high enough.

No agent and deals with football matters himself.

About halfway down the article on this one.

Okay so no attorney reviews his contracts??!?!?!?!? YIKES!

Okay so no attorney reviews his contracts??!?!?!?!? YIKES!

What does that have to do with you saying an agent is fielding phone calls for him?

He acts as his own agent but has a financial planner and attorney review them. What aren’t you understanding about this?

What does that have to do with you saying an agent is fielding phone calls for him?

He acts as his own agent but has a financial planner and attorney review them. What aren’t you understanding about this?

Leave it to a clown fan to think not having an attorney/agent is a good thing.

We want more.
We want more.
We want more.

Hey CyTwims, did the clowns really lose a buy game to the Jacks?

Keep Prohmdate forever won’t you. Demand that Pollard give him an extension.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT