ADVERTISEMENT

"Hard to Find a Better Right Tackle in Football than Tristan Wirfs"

The only team that made a huge mistake drafting an OL in the top 15 was the giants. Wills and Becton have really good futures they have just dealt with injury issues.
Wills is not even in the same universe as Wirfs. He had never played left tackle before being selected to the browns. The PFF rankings show Wills with a 65 overall grade and Wirs with an 85. With the browns offense, having Conklin and Wirfs...my god one can dream.

Wills is not even in the same universe as Wirfs. He had never played left tackle before being selected to the browns. The PFF rankings show Wills with a 65 overall grade and Wirs with an 85. With the browns offense, having Conklin and Wirfs...my god one can dream.
I don’t think you would see much difference. PFF is irrelevant to me there are far more reliable sources on Twitter. You likely wouldn’t see much of a difference between Wirfs and Wills health has been the main difference between the two.

• Haha
Reactions: LaTavianGreenshaw24
I don’t think you would see much difference. PFF is irrelevant to me there are far more reliable sources on Twitter. You likely wouldn’t see much of a difference between Wirfs and Wills health has been the main difference between the two.
I guess we can give it a couple of more year, but as of right now, there is not a GM in the league that would take Wills over Wirfs.

I guess we can give it a couple of more year, but as of right now, there is not a GM in the league that would take Wills over Wirfs.
I’m just saying looking back Wills was better than Wirfs. Wills can do things that Wirfs can’t. You don’t know how well Wirfs would transition to the left side either. Wirfs also has a much easier job blocking for Tom Brady compared to Baker.

I’m just saying looking back Wills was better than Wirfs. Wills can do things that Wirfs can’t. You don’t know how well Wirfs would transition to the left side either. Wirfs also has a much easier job blocking for Tom Brady compared to Baker.
Wirfs does not get beat inside like Wills does, yes you are right that it the LT position, but I also don't follow how it is easier to block for a 40 year old non-mobile QB in comparison to Baker.

Wirfs does not get beat inside like Wills does, yes you are right that it the LT position, but I also don't follow how it is easier to block for a 40 year old non-mobile QB in comparison to Baker.
Shorter QBs have to take deeper drop backs in order to see over the OL the deeper the QB is the harder it is to block. Baker holds the ball for too long, misses open receivers, and scrambles for no reason which causes a lot of problems with the OL and pisses them off. With Brady he gets the ball out quickly, has good pocket mobility, and he is very consistent with his drop backs. So when Brady does a 3 or 5 step drop as an OL you know what your landmarks are relative to where the QB is. With a guy like Baker those landmarks are very inconsistent making your job harder. Guys have been figuring out Wirfs recently as his timing and hands have been off the past couple of games. Would love to see Wirfs in Cleveland’s run game as Tampa Bays is boring and basic as hell.

Shorter QBs have to take deeper drop backs in order to see over the OL the deeper the QB is the harder it is to block. Baker holds the ball for too long, misses open receivers, and scrambles for no reason which causes a lot of problems with the OL and pisses them off. With Brady he gets the ball out quickly, has good pocket mobility, and he is very consistent with his drop backs. So when Brady does a 3 or 5 step drop as an OL you know what your landmarks are relative to where the QB is. With a guy like Baker those landmarks are very inconsistent making your job harder. Guys have been figuring out Wirfs recently as his timing and hands have been off the past couple of games. Would love to see Wirfs in Cleveland’s run game as Tampa Bays is boring and basic as hell.
You’re way way overthinking this

You’re way way overthinking this
Not really look at what happened to Nate Solder when he left Tom Brady to block for Daniel Jones. Joe Thomas talked about the issues when he blocked for Derick Anderson (6’6) how he could stay in the pocket even when the pocket collapsing while Johnny would take much deeper drop backs and bail whenever he could.

This.

Wasn't one of the critiques that his arms weren't an ideal length or something? I swear NFL scouts/GMs way overthink draft stuff and make some real bizarre choices when on the clock.
One of the critiques was that he wasn't "athletic" enough I remember reading. Cited some struggles in a game his freshman year against OSU or something. My goodness, a true freshman having some bad plays against future NFL players? Way overthinking. If you looked at him play as a junior, you could see the high level of play and opportunity for even more. He's getting the type of exposure early in career that make him a potential HOF player. Still way early, but if he stays healthy he is on that trajectory.

Reactions: Pete in LA

FJQCRD3UUAIq1Ch

Bruce Arians: Likely to come down to wire whether Tampa Bay Buccaneers RT Tristan Wirfs can play Sunday

• i

Jenna Laine
  • ESPN Staff Writer
  • January 17, 2022 (12:34 PM CT)

TAMPA, Fla. -- Buccaneers All-Pro right tackle Tristan Wirfs, who suffered a right ankle sprain in Sunday's wild-card game against the Philadelphia Eagles, is in a walking boot this week, coach Bruce Arians said Monday.

Arians added that "there's a chance" he can play this week in the divisional round, but it will likely come down to the wire.

Wirfs suffered the injury on the opening series when he got rolled up on blocking for running back Ke'Shawn Vaughn. Wirfs played one more snap, and as he dropped back to pass block, his foot shot up in pain.

The 2020 13th-overall pick had not missed a single snap in the regular or postseason over the past two years. He attempted to return late in the second quarter, playing three snaps before it was determined that he could not finish.

"As tough as he is, I think there's a chance," Arians said. "He and
Ryan [Jensen] will probably go all the way till Friday before we know anything true, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Jensen suffered a left ankle sprain with 28 seconds to go in the first quarter when he got bent backward on Vaughn's goal-line touchdown. After limping off the field, he was able to return to finish the game, not missing a snap.

"His mental toughness is off the charts," Arians said. "He's as tough a dude as there is playing this game. That thing was gonna be broken for him not to go back in."

Arians said backup offensive tackle Josh Wells, who replaced Wirfs, played with a "pretty good" quad injury and that they're going to have to wait and see if he's healthy enough to play Sunday. Quarterback Tom Brady was sacked an uncharacteristic four times after the Buccaneers' offensive line surrendered a league-fewest 23 sacks during the regular season.

When asked about his level of concern with depth at tackle, Arians said, "Very today. Hopefully not as much Wednesday and Thursday. But very, very concerned about it today because we were gonna have to put [right guard Alex] Cappa at tackle and Aaron Stinnie at guard early in the first quarter of that game. But thank God Josh just gutted it out."

The Bucs played without running backs Leonard Fournette, who led the Bucs in scrimmage yards last postseason, and Ronald Jones on Sunday. Arians said Jones still hasn't been able to cut since suffering his injury in Week 17, and they're waiting to see if Fournette can reach full speed when he runs, which he wasn't able to do last week.

"We'll know more Thursday with both those guys," Arians said.

Outside linebackers Shaq Barrett and Jason Pierre-Paul and inside linebacker Lavonte David all returned Sunday from injuries. Pierre-Paul and David last played in Week 15, and Barrett in Week 16. Barrett, who was dealing with a sprained ACL and MCL, had an interception off Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts in the third quarter.

All three were on a pitch count, with David, who had a sprained foot, playing 55 of the snaps (88.7%), and Barrett and Pierre-Paul, who had a torn rotator cuff that he played with through most of the season, playing 28 (45.2%) and 33 (53.2%) snaps, respectively.

Said Arians: "They all played good. Shaq didn't look hurt when he was running with that ball. Lavonte is not as sore as he thought he'd be today. JPP's fine. They all had a good rotation going."

The multi sport angle really makes some of these great OLs. Wrestling + Football + Basketball = beast mode

ADVERTISEMENT