ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to find a solution then reduce the problem - find a few plays that work

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
What have you seen that has somewhat worked for Iowa on offense this year? Are there two running plays which have a type of blocking that seems to get positive yards most of the time?

Could three tight end sets with the tight ends in tight to block start as a play that can get some yards?

If it can then can you run some pass plays off of that formation.

A reductionist technique is used many times to solve complex problems. We all know what the offensive problems are but what can be the simplest fix at this point?

The right side of the OLine is poor but might be good enough in straight ahead blocking with the help of a tight end and fullback to at least get 3-4 yards per run. Then add to that run to either side the simple fullback slips out of the backfield to catch a pass, run the same running play behind the left side, play action and roll out with a faster qb who could run or pass.

Get a few plays and practice them over and over like Lombardi's Green Bay Packer sweep plays and a trap play, which is about all the running plays they used.

I know it sounds like 1950's and 60's football but it might be the only way this offense can gain 300 yards a game, move the chains, and maybe score 17 points which is what the defense needs.

What have you seen that has somewhat worked for Iowa on offense this year? Are there two running plays which have a type of blocking that seems to get positive yards most of the time?

Could three tight end sets with the tight ends in tight to block start as a play that can get some yards?

A reductionist technique is used many times to solve complex problems. We all know what the offensive problems are but what can be the simplest fix at this point?

The right side of the OLine is poor but might be good enough in straight ahead blocking with the help of a tight end and fullback to at least get 3-4 yards per run. Then add to that run to either side the simple fullback slips out of the backfield to catch a pass, run the same running play behind the left side, play action and roll out with a faster qb who could run or pass.

Get a few plays and practice them over and over like Lombardi's Green Bay Packer sweep plays and a trap play, which is about all the running plays they used.

I know it sounds like 1950's and 60's football but it might be the only way this offense can gain 300 yards a game, move the chains, and maybe score 17 points which is what the defense needs.
You are 100% correct. As others have stated in other posts, at this point that ship has probably sailed, but man, can we please stop putting Petras in shotgun w/an empty backfield? It doesn't work. Our line can't block it and he can't make a decision quick enough. I don't know what we're good at this year ( clearly not much) but there has to be something on film that says what few plays actually work. I couldn't agree more w/your take. Simplify it even more if need be.

To me the best running play we have been able to execute by far is the outside zone stretch. It has produced all of our big runs and we have ran it effectively to both sides. I don't think we have ran it enough though. You could certainly boot off of it and there are a lot of possibilities there. I think this oline is at its best when they are on the move. They are so weak inside that nothing between the tackles works at all. I like the options that 3 TE sets provide, but he problem is that it naturally brings everyone in the box and we can't run against that many defenders nor can we pass protect.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
You are 100% correct. As others have stated in other posts, at this point that ship has probably sailed, but man, can we please stop putting Petras in shotgun w/an empty backfield? It doesn't work. Our line can't block it and he can't make a decision quick enough. I don't know what we're good at this year ( clearly not much) but there has to be something on film that says what few plays actually work. I couldn't agree more w/your take. Simplify it even more if need be.

You make a good point about the QB in shotgun with an empty backfield and it wouldnt matter much if it was Padilla back there although he might make a first rusher miss.

And I just do not see Brian's first call at OSU at all. A rollout to the left on play action when we haven't even established a running game yet. And Petras and many qbs have more trouble passing when moving to the left so the play design has to be single receiver to the left and he has to be pretty damn open to pass it.

What I haven't seen very much of is screens to RBs in the flat, middle screens, etc. With as bad as our OL has been at pass blocking why not use that to our advantage.

Reactions: Hawk Writer
To me the best running play we have been able to execute by far is the outside zone stretch. It has produced all of our big runs and we have ran it effectively to both sides. I don't think we have ran it enough though. You could certainly boot off of it and there are a lot of possibilities there. I think this oline is at its best when they are on the move. They are so weak inside that nothing between the tackles works at all. I like the options that 3 TE sets provide, but he problem is that it naturally brings everyone in the box and we can't run against that many defenders nor can we pass protect.

Good points. As great as most NFL defenses are when teams block down one direction and pull a couple of linemen the other direction they can usually have some good success. Most of the linemen just push one way and pinch the pursuit in. And this sets up some good throwing lanes.

You say the Oline looks better on the move so I wonder if outside zone runs and some runs like I described with some counter play action could be just the two running plays they concentrate on.

The o-line has shown limited ability to maintain a pocket with the time necessary to develop plays with an immobile qb. So dump that and get a qb on the move. And give him the green light to run or pass based on his reads and feel as the play develops. I'd prefer to have a better runner than passer taking the snaps. That DeJean hasn't been tried at least in wildcat if not more is a big missed opportunity. Otherwise, give Labas a very limited playbook and get him on the move.

How long does it take a D Coordinator to adjust to "a few good plays"? The level of competition is going down and dang if we won't look improved.

Reactions: Dude McHawks
How long does it take a D Coordinator to adjust to "a few good plays"? The level of competition is going down and dang if we won't look improved.
Was listening to everyone's favorite guy on here Colin Cowherd today and he had Schwartz on (old offensive linemen) and they were discussing the NY Giants. Schwartz basically said they don't want even want Daniel Jones dropping back! Also said they basically ran the same play 7 times in a row against Jacksonville as it kept working. Find a weakness and go. Giants are basically Iowa of the NFL. Terrible QB, not great o line and basically no receivers. But they are finding ways to grind out wins. As good as our defense is we just need a way to get to 17-20 pts against most teams.

Reactions: uihawk82
Why run a screen to an RB when we can run a screen to a TE?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ SARCASM.
Good sarcasm and once again the screen pass works when a defensive rush really wants to get to the qb usually on 3rd and longish. But since most teams can get to our qb fairly easily and fairly quickly it is hard to suck in the rush and have the qb drift back to really make it work.

When one thing doesnt work well like the OLine it affects so many other parts of the offense

Our offense cant hardly get first downs and everyone seems to say our offense is too complicated. With zone blocking it is block and then reach block and then go find another player to block.

Maybe just blocking one guy would be better and easier.

Something is very wrong because I see the right side of our Oline just whiff and let guys run right by them like they are invisible.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Was listening to everyone's favorite guy on here Colin Cowherd today and he had Schwartz on (old offensive linemen) and they were discussing the NY Giants. Schwartz basically said they don't want even want Daniel Jones dropping back! Also said they basically ran the same play 7 times in a row against Jacksonville as it kept working. Find a weakness and go. Giants are basically Iowa of the NFL. Terrible QB, not great o line and basically no receivers. But they are finding ways to grind out wins. As good as our defense is we just need a way to get to 17-20 pts against most teams.
It's freaking Jacksonville. One of the worst NFL teams.

Our offense cant hardly get first downs and everyone seems to say our offense is too complicated. With zone blocking it is block and then reach block and then go find another player to block.

Maybe just blocking one guy would be better and easier.

Something is very wrong because I see the right side of our Oline just whiff and let guys run right by them like they are invisible.
I have watched the same exact thing. At the home games about every other play I just watch the O line. Not like I will miss much.

It's freaking Jacksonville. One of the worst NFL teams.
Since you obviously didn't understand let me say it again. They are 6-1. They are doing whatever it takes to win. They have a poor o line, a poor Qb and not very good receivers. So they don't line Jones up in no win situations like empty backfield and shotgun and let him get killed very often. If running the same play 7 times in a row works you do it. Scratch where it itches. There are things you can do.

What I haven't seen very much of is screens to RBs in the flat, middle screens, etc. With as bad as our OL has been at pass blocking why not use that to our advantage.
Because Dumb and Dumber are leading this offense.

Yeah, you all don’t get it….we’re too sophisticated for those simple backyard football schemes you’re discussing.

Play calling is defiantly suspect but most importantly the OL and QB are horrible. You can’t call a good play when execution is poor. Too many missed assignments by the linemen and the QB isn’t mobile enough to elude and had a problem hitting the open receiver. Teams are dialing in on the run and short “high percentage” passes that we can’t complete anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: uihawk82
I mean honestly the Bears are a pretty good example of this…they had a bye week, and came out of it and looked like a totally different offense. Fields running ability was featured, there were roll-outs…pin and pulls…zone reads…RPO’s….he was barely touched Monday night with an awful Bears oline. That is the kind of coaching I would love to see, at least try to mix it up…this looks like the same exact offense that couldn’t move the ball vs SDSU two months ago…

Well first thing is to use our backs to chip or keep a TE in to help with blocking if we want to pass. Run slants in our passing game lol. Our long route combinations with a non mobile QB and crappy line is sooooo bad. But it doesn’t help if we make no adjustments to try and fix the problem which is on Brian and Kirk.

lol. Spencer is at his worst rolling left and throwing. So that is what they did first play of OSU game.

quit trying to figure out crazy.

Reactions: obfuscating
Run the ball 90% of the time. These guys are OK run blockers and the backs are decent. Maybe hit a big one over the top. Let that clock tick, shrink the game and have the defense win it and dont allow the offense to lose it.

How did Max Duggan and Cam Miller escape Iowa? 2 mobile QB's, 1 with a NC as a Sophmore.

Cam Miller (rushing 382 combined)
StatsCmpAttCmp%YdsAvgTDIntLngRtg

Max Duggan (rushing 626 combined for years below)

lol. Spencer is at his worst rolling left and throwing. So that is what they did first play of OSU game.

quit trying to figure out crazy.
And throwing a 5 yard out to LaPorta. And whenever we do a rollout like that it is all we do. No wonder the defense was shading LaPorta and had a guy sitting there. Such a bad playcall and scheme #firebrian

Run the ball 90% of the time. These guys are OK run blockers and the backs are decent. Maybe hit a big one over the top. Let that clock tick, shrink the game and have the defense win it and dont allow the offense to lose it.
Agree, bring in multiple TE sets (like UM) and put more guys at the POA, grind it out 3-4yds per play, don't let the opponent have much time on the field against our defense.

Honestly, the NDSU offense would be an upgrade for Iowa. Still run heavy but different and more current schemes.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
The o-line has shown limited ability to maintain a pocket with the time necessary to develop plays with an immobile qb. So dump that and get a qb on the move. And give him the green light to run or pass based on his reads and feel as the play develops. I'd prefer to have a better runner than passer taking the snaps. That DeJean hasn't been tried at least in wildcat if not more is a big missed opportunity. Otherwise, give Labas a very limited playbook and get him on the move.
Why would you ever run DeJean in the wildcat with this offensive line??? Look at the defenses of Ohio State, Michigan, and even Brett's Illinois defense. Wildcat? DeJean is going to make his money in the pro ranks on the defensive side of the ball. Give up on being an o coordinator...

Reactions: LampoonYou
I've seen plenty of screens tried. They almost without fail don't work. Ones they have run get blown up because OL take bad angles or flat out miss blocks. And even when we run screens the blocking is so bad it often can't even be thrown. OL has to at least slow down the rush a bit so the QB can get the pass off.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Agree, bring in multiple TE sets (like UM) and put more guys at the POA, grind it out 3-4yds per play, don't let the opponent have much time on the field against our defense.
For this to work, you actually have to get a first down. Our run blocking is just as terrible as the pass blocking. All it takes is for one run to be thrown for a loss or held to 1 yard and you are behind schedule in getting a first down.

At the end of the first half against Michigan, Iowa trailed 20-0, was 0-3 on third-down conversions and had the ball for 9:21 while Michigan had it for 20:39. Iowa ran 18 plays for 76 yards. Terrible.

Second half was better, either due to some improved play or Michigan not caring, or both.

The offense is just beyond broken. There will probably be some improvement in the coming weeks as most of the defenses will be worse that Michigan, Illinois and OSU. But the Iowa offense is so terrible that every game is lose-able. There is no real fixing of the offense this year. If Vines is actually able to play and good, and if Keeg. Johnson were to be able to play that would help marginally. But offense is all about pieces fitting with scheme and working together. Iowa's offense is DOA due to the bad OL. Layer in bad QB play and they have zero chance to move the ball against good defenses.

I've seen plenty of screens tried. They almost without fail don't work. Ones they have run get blown up because OL take bad angles or flat out miss blocks. And even when we run screens the blocking is so bad it often can't even be thrown. OL has to at least slow down the rush a bit so the QB can get the pass off.
Agree. The OL is not just bad in pass pro, but they are bad at blocking in space. When we do run a screen, there are always at least 1 or 2 unblocked LBs or DBs on it for a TFL.

Play calling is defiantly suspect but most importantly the OL and QB are horrible. You can’t call a good play when execution is poor. Too many missed assignments by the linemen and the QB isn’t mobile enough to elude and had a problem hitting the open receiver. Teams are dialing in on the run and short “high percentage” passes that we can’t complete anyway.
I understand what you are saying but when you practice over and over blocking only two types of run plays then maybe you can start getting another yard or two average per play. And for this offense a yard or two more is big. And perhaps there could be a couple of big runs

It would be boring but maybe the only way to offensive success.

ADVERTISEMENT