ADVERTISEMENT

Hardest hit you've seen in an Iowa football game?

BigOHawk

HR Heisman
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
A few random ones for me since watching Hawk football since 1991. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and Sanders will top the list!
  • Bob Sanders vs. MSU (Sparty kickoff return circa 2000)
  • Bob Sanders vs. K-State Kickoff Classic
  • Bob Sanders vs. MSU a few years later, Charles Rogers wanted no part of him
  • Jeff Tarpinian vs. Mich (UM kickoff return 2009)
  • Erik Jensen vs Michigan 2003
  • Nate Chandler injured a few LBs during QB scrambles
  • Marshall Yanda decleater vs. ISU on a reverse 2006
  • Gallery vs. Illinois -- forget the year here
  • Iowa vs. FL outback 2005, LB George Lewis had some massive hits
  • Jordan Lomax vs. ISU and Purdue, knocked a few people out
  • Shonn Greene vs. Purdue, stoned a Purdue DB
  • LeShun Daniels trucked a few last year

Feel free to add to list!
Shonn Greene, 5:57 mark, ouch!

Last edited:
I have to vote for Yanda, it still gives me chills......LOL You could have also added the hit the Outlaw did on Niemann in the Nebraska game two seasons ago. You could also add years ago when one of the Hawk players knocked down the goal post at Michigan State I believe

Ron Hawley. It would've gotten more coverage but it just happened to take place on the same Saturday as the Cal v. Stanford last minute return... aka 'The Play'.

A few random ones for me since watching Hawk football since 1991. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and Sanders will top the list!

I don't remember the year, but I remember the team. Sanders knocked not one, but two Badger QB's out of the game. It wasn't a fair fight.

Reactions: Harbinger273

dwighthit.gif

Yanda gets my vote.

Greene got popped by a NW SS early in 2008. That hit sticks in my mind for some reason.

What was the name of the special teams guy everybody called the Irish car bomb? Was it Jamie Murphy? I remember him blasting anything that got in his way on kicking plays. Had to quit because of concussions I believe.
Jayme*

You are correct. Dude was a fan favorite for a reason.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I have seen a lot of Iowa football in my 45 years, but the 2 that resonate the most with me was the Yanda decleater against ISU and Josey's "targeting" hit in the season opener last year against Miami (OH). I remember all the hits mentioned, but I think those 2 stand out the most with me.

This is a good list. The thing about Sanders is that one year he was injured and I wasn't sure if he was going to be playing in a game but I saw one hit and knew he was actually playing. All of his hits were just different than normal hits. Sistrunk could also hit like a truck.

I have seen a lot of Iowa football in my 45 years, but the 2 that resonate the most with me was the Yanda decleater against ISU and Josey's "targeting" hit in the season opener last year against Miami (OH). I remember all the hits mentioned, but I think those 2 stand out the most with me.
That Josey hit made me squeamish for the other guy, not sure how he recovered from that. Looked like a bobblehead after he was struck.

Tarp hit from UM game:

The entire MSU game from 2009.. by far the most physical college football game I've ever seen.

individual play: Abdul Hodge on one of the 3 LSU QBs iowa knocked out of the 2004 game, I remember him flying about 3 yards backwards.
Was that JaMarcus Russell or an earlier QB? That was an unbelievable hit, right before halftime.

One of the nastiest hits I've ever seen. Sandeman is a lucky man to walk away unscathed from that one.
That was no doubt the scariest hit on a Hawk that I remember. Unfortunately the worst part of that was when the douche Dantonio was losing his mind on the refs for calling a penalty on that play, while Colin was laying there, first twitching then motionless on the turf. Total BS move by a coach, and showed his lack of integrity as a coach who should be concerned first and foremost for the safety of all combatents.

That was no doubt the scariest hit on a Hawk that I remember. Unfortunately the worst part of that was when the douche Dantonio was losing his mind on the refs for calling a penalty on that play, while Colin was laying there, first twitching then motionless on the turf. Total BS move by a coach, and showed his lack of integrity as a coach who should be concerned first and foremost for the safety of all combatents.
Ever since that, Kirk's blood has boiled and I truly believe he's one coach/person Kirk absolutely doesn't like. There have been a number of cold handshakes after games, Iowa pouring it on during a blowout (2010 first half) and MSU was also spreading negative recruiting against Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT