ADVERTISEMENT

Harris: 25% tax on unrealized gains

Yep
And for unrealized gains taxes, the system can work exactly the same way.
You pay the unrealized gain, then when you sell, you have a new basis cost and pay LESS tax than you would have.
That’s just bass-ackwards…and you know it.

There are no "unrealized gains" on 401Ks. They are only taxed when they are withdrawn and that is as ordinary income. Because the income that contributes to them was not taxed originally.

You should really sit these things out.
It’s semantics…there is certainly “unrealized appreciation” in 401k’s and Kamala’s administration will be looking to tax that for all their spending plans.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It’s semantics…there is certainly “unrealized appreciation” in 401k’s and Kamala’s administration will be looking to tax that for all their spending plans.
It's not. That's like saying "capital gains" is semantically equivalent to "wages and earnings".

Quit while you're behind.

Uh...the valuations are set from the original cost basis.

You know, the basis that would be used if they were sold, for tax purposes. How things have worked for many many decades.
If you don’t sell it, what are you going to value it at? You have to be drinking or something.

So I buy a lot for a future home this year for say 100K. This time next year who decides what it's worth? County tax assessor? My CPA? If inflation is 7% do I have a 7K gain or have I just kept pace with inflation and have actually gained nothing in terms of real value? We'll need a whole cottage industry of appraisers or government employees to tackle this crazy policy...
Pretty sure they aren't looking at assets that have been held for "just one year".

You could probably read up on what actually qualifies, if you wanted to have a serious discussion on the topic.

Pretty sure they aren't looking at assets that have been held for "just one year".

You could probably read up on what actually qualifies, if you wanted to have a serious discussion on the topic.
I didn't say they were. They have to be valued every year correct? What's my '64 Sting Ray worth that I gave 11K for 25 years ago? A camper/boat that drops in value becomes a tax deduction I assume. Seems like a bad idea on paper and even worse to implement in the real world....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT