ADVERTISEMENT

Hartlieb to Marv Cook “Jim Zabel calling the play”

I kind of watched the video time and it seems like Hartlieb was untouched for 5 seconds. I think Stanley could do this if a receiver could get open.

So went back and looked at it frame by frame. The ball wasn't across the line when he was down by the one and only angle. A couple of inches short it looks like.

So went back and looked at it frame by frame. The ball wasn't across the line when he was down by the one and only angle. A couple of inches short it looks like.

And that's one of the problems with replay. It never was intended--or shouldn't have been--to overturn plays like that. The same sort of BS is happening in baseball. Plays that no one ever would have questioned with the naked eye are now being reversed because of super slo-mo frame-by-frame judgments.

Replay should only overturn an OBVIOUS mistake. And, theoretically, that's the objective. But we all know of many plays that were absolutely not "indisputable" that were overturned anyway.

BTW: I never heard any complaining from Ohio State about that Iowa TD at the time.

Frankly, I would rather live with the human error of the past than with the Pandora's box that has been opened by the replay era.

And that's one of the problems with replay. It never was intended--or shouldn't have been--to overturn plays like that. The same sort of BS is happening in baseball. Plays that no one ever would have questioned with the naked eye are now being reversed because of super slo-mo frame-by-frame judgments.

Replay should only overturn an OBVIOUS mistake. And, theoretically, that's the objective. But we all know of many plays that were absolutely not "indisputable" that were overturned anyway.

BTW: I never heard any complaining from Ohio State about that Iowa TD at the time.

Frankly, I would rather live with the human error of the past than with the Pandora's box that has been opened by the replay era.
Well said. I wouldn't bother me a bit if they did away with replay all together. Slows up the game, and too often they still don't get the call correct. :mad:

Boy, good thing instant replay was not used back then. That was VERY close. Would be interested to see the many different angles and the goal line shot to see what that would be ruled.
Weren't there a few seconds left in the game, and Iowa kicked off? Or am I thinking of another game?

in that case it would have been 1st and goal with time for at least one play, maybe two if 1st down was a pass. When Bo was on the Iowa staff, he contended Marv was short. A still photo in the offices showed Marv breaking the plane. Bo didn't want to admit it even with the evidence. It was a touchdown, but the press box angle isn't definitive.The team highlight film had the play from back of the endzone...not down the line, but he was in.

It was standard procedure back then to call it a touchdown when a player fell across the goal line even if the ball wasn’t across when his knees hit. Everyone got that call back then

Reactions: iamia
That game wasn’t on TV in Iowa. Had to listen to Z on 1040.

In regards to whether it was a TD, it makes up for Long’s 2 point conversion against MSU in 1984 and the TD that wasn’t awarded in the first half against Michigan in 1985.

That game wasn’t on TV in Iowa. Had to listen to Z on 1040.

In regards to whether it was a TD, it makes up for Long’s 2 point conversion against MSU in 1984 and the TD that wasn’t awarded in the first half against Michigan in 1985.
It was, but at10:30. Iowa non-network games were replayed then. Announcer for that game was Gene Klausen

It was, but at10:30. Iowa non-network games were replayed then. Announcer for that game was Gene Klausen
Gene Clausen was as good and at the same time as under rated as it gets. If he had worked for a station that had a strong signal he would have had a much bigger listenership and been a much bigger name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT