ADVERTISEMENT

Harvard researcher says Iowa, Alabama, two other states should 'lock down immediately'

The twitter ban says it all. They have so exaggerated the risk of COVID, caused a recession for Christ's sake and the CDC gang know they are probably jobless come November 5.

Even if the exaggerations have been just good faith mistakes, the consequences of the mistakes have been so destructive to so many people this Shut Down crowd is going to worry about professional neck burns. How would you like to be the guy that told Trump to shut down the economy or millions might die?

Our ancestors are laughing at us!! When most lost a child at birth, no vaccines, no antibiotics, no doctors, grow can your food, raise livestock, walk 2000 mile into wilderness, wi ter runs to an outhouse, still working when 30 million die fro Spanish flu, smallpox, plague, polio, and on and on. Nearly a million killed v

Let's say PersonX has been dealing with Stage 4 Cancer, CHF, and Diabetes. Then PersonX passes away and it's discovered he/she had Covid-19.

What did PersonX die from? NOT COVID-19.
It's possible this person died of covid, but not enough facts are stated here. We're they stabe before covid? Did they have an acute respiratory failure? Did they other organ failure not associated to the cancer?

It is possible to be sick and still have covid play a significant role in death. The co-morbidities are what make covid deadly.

Yep, the Governor spreads the virons. Tony, you realize that is like .5% right?

I'd be a lot more bothered by that if I didn't know that 90% of those tests are either a symptomatic (not sick/cannot transmit) or false positives.

The New York Times article did not state that 90% of tests are asymptomatic or false positives. JFC dude. Stop reading Gateway Pundit and listening to Fox News. You are sharing straight up lies.

The New York Times article did not state that 90% of tests are asymptomatic or false positives. JFC dude. Stop reading Gateway Pundit and listening to Fox News. You are sharing straight up lies.

"In Massachusetts, from 85 to 90 percent of people who tested positive in July with a cycle threshold of 40 would have been deemed negative if the threshold were 30 cycles, Dr. Mina said. 'I would say that none of those people should be contact-traced, not one,' he said."

"In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

But you fail to recognize that person was going to die regardless of COVID due to cancer or high blood pressure. According to the CDC, less than 10,000 people have died exclusively from the virus out of the 170,000 plus people that have died due to something other than the virus.

Please look at the number of people that die everyday in this country and tell me if that number is any different due to COVID. The answer is no due to all the other issues people die from but you want to focus only on COVID deaths. Get out of here with this political football.
You can put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, but it's not suicide because we're all going to die from something.....

Iowa is No. 1 -- as the new COVID-19 hotspot in the entire country. Way to go, Gov. Reynolds. Keep those kids in school. And, hell yes, play football, boys.

Or, you can read this and try to understand why 61 conferences are NOT playing college football and only SIX are. It's not exactly like the Big Ten is alone in this.

Here's the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...esearchers-say/ss-BB18yRcr?li=BBnbcA0#image=5
Have you taken your temperature lately? It appears you are suffering from some kind of virus......

Let's say PersonX has been dealing with Stage 4 Cancer, CHF, and Diabetes. Then PersonX passes away and it's discovered he/she had Covid-19.

Right, it's difficult to measure for sure. With the new data, some are saying that it's only 6% that died from Covid. There are more that died because they got Covid on top of some pre-existing conditions. I have seen it estimated around 50-60K of people that probably would've lived if they didn't get the virus. That's still a very far cry from the 170K or whatever the number is today. In other words, this is one of the biggest overreactions in history. There have been as many or more deaths due to the lock down. It's just harder to measure.

Because the virus peaked in New York and New Jersey first, when we knew nothing about the virus. Texas and Florida weren’t hit until months later, allowing them to gain valuable information and data about how to treat the virus and how best to limit its spread.

Ok Doctor

Reactions: pmtdc
Take your political crap to the OT board.

Oh......and feel free to hide in your basement until your Party tells you it’s safe to come out.

LOL, LMAO, "hide in your basement". You got him really good with that one. That's the first time I've heard that one. If you don't mind, I'm going to start using it.

Why would you tell people to hide when your goal is to get things back to normal? Do you really want things back to normal or do you just like to complain about others? Based on your response, I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

It depends what their issues were when they died. Just because someone has stage 4 cancer, it doesn't mean they were going to die from cancer.

If a person has stage 4 cancer, CHF, and diabetes and then is in a car accident and dies. Are you saying they didn't die from the car accident. Should an insurance company not have to pay because the person had cancer before the accident.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Again- this is insane! You can’t say, “well they actually died from some Pre-existing condition not COVID”

that’s like telling people who lost someone in a car accident, “well it wasn’t the accident that killed them, it was actually internal bleeding”

if this was the standard AIDS isn’t even a problem. It’s killed absolutely no one...

Reactions: SB_SB
So much stupid in this thread.
Actually there isn't. There are different ways of looking at and understanding new data. Sometimes people let their political affiliation affect the way they consume new information. That goes for both sides. I find the new information interesting. I admit I want football and life back to as normal as we can get. But I also don't discount that this virus has killed plenty of people. But there are a lot of diseases and viruses that kill people every year. If we take an honest look at the data, I think we can say it's safe for the great majority of us to get back to life. Just my opinion.

It depends what their issues were when they died. Just because someone has stage 4 cancer, it doesn't mean they were going to die from cancer.

If a person has stage 4 cancer, CHF, and diabetes and then is in a car accident and dies. Are you saying they didn't die from the car accident. Should an insurance company not have to pay because the person had cancer before the accident.
I should have been more descriptive in my hypothetical post- my PersonX is someone essentially bedridden and basically "on their way out -" they are living their last days. If PersonX, already in this dire health situation, tests positive for the virus before passing, it should absolutely NOT be included in the Covid-19 death category.

Why would you tell people to hide when your goal is to get things back to normal?
Because we could go back to living like normal now. If you're in the elderly category or have serious health issues, don't go back to normal. Continue to keep your distance, wear facial protection etc etc..

At some point a vaccine will be widely available for everyone - until then? Those of us that are healthy can (should be able to) go back to normal.

Influenza is constantly out there - I have skipped the vaccine a number of times in my adult years. I can get it regardless of the shot, but I keep on keepin' on while I know that I MIGHT be unlucky and get sick.. but the Overwhelming odds scream that, if unlucky and I contract the flu, I'll still be just fine.

Again- this is insane! You can’t say, “well they actually died from some Pre-existing condition not COVID”

that’s like telling people who lost someone in a car accident, “well it wasn’t the accident that killed them, it was actually internal bleeding”

if this was the standard AIDS isn’t even a problem. It’s killed absolutely no one...
To take a overly simple look at it. And a total disclaimer, I have seen different people try to slice this data up, but nobody knows for sure, which complicates things. But in the name of simplicity, I'll use easy numbers.

- 70K people died either because they got Covid, or they had some underlying conditions that they would've been able to live with had they not gotten Covid
-100K people were listed as Covid deaths, but most likely would've died regardless but had Covid as one of the causes on their death certificate. So they are automatically counted in the data.

What are the exact numbers? Not sure, but we do know for certain, it's LESS deadly than originally thought. We have known for a long time who is most at risk.

To take a overly simple look at it. And a total disclaimer, I have seen different people try to slice this data up, but nobody knows for sure, which complicates things. But in the name of simplicity, I'll use easy numbers.

- 70K people died either because they got Covid, or they had some underlying conditions that they would've been able to live with had they not gotten Covid
-100K people were listed as Covid deaths, but most likely would've died regardless but had Covid as one of the causes on their death certificate. So they are automatically counted in the data.

What are the exact numbers? Not sure, but we do know for certain, it's LESS deadly than originally thought. We have known for a long time who is most at risk.

No. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are over 200,000 excess deaths in the US this year, meaning that more than 200,000 people have died this year than normal. This thought that most people who have died from COVID were going to die soon anyways is not supported by the data.

I should have been more descriptive in my hypothetical post- my PersonX is someone essentially bedridden and basically "on their way out -" they are living their last days. If PersonX, already in this dire health situation, tests positive for the virus before passing, it should absolutely NOT be included in the Covid-19 death category.

Most people who are within days (even weeks) of death are usually in hospice and don't last long there. I doubt there are many of those people being included in the Covid counts.

Here is something to think about. These people that are sick, getting this disease pushes them over the top. If Covid was not around, they very well could still be alive.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Because we could go back to living like normal now. If you're in the elderly category or have serious health issues, don't go back to normal. Continue to keep your distance, wear facial protection etc etc..

At some point a vaccine will be widely available for everyone - until then? Those of us that are healthy can (should be able to) go back to normal.

Influenza is constantly out there - I have skipped the vaccine a number of times in my adult years. I can get it regardless of the shot, but I keep on keepin' on while I know that I MIGHT be unlucky and get sick.. but the Overwhelming odds scream that, if unlucky and I contract the flu, I'll still be just fine.

I'll ask again. if your goal is to get things back to normal, what's the advantage of telling people to hide out in their basements. That would be like Fran or KF telling the fans not to come to the games if they don't like the environment at the game. If they want fans in the seats then listen to the fans and make adjustments so everyone is happy. Or they can be pissed and tell everyone to stay home and then it never gets back to normal.

No. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are over 200,000 excess deaths in the US this year, meaning that more than 200,000 people have died this year than normal. This thought that most people who have died from COVID were going to die soon anyways is not supported by the data.

I saw the chart but did not see where those numbers came from. Can you (or anybody else) provide a link to the source? TIA!

What is the actual risk of serious illness for an 18-23 year old college athlete from Covid? It is so low as to be almost incalculable.
THIS! THE ODDS OF ANYTHING HAPPENING TO A 18 - 22 YEAR OLD FROM COVID IS ABOUT NIL. The women and her husband that live directly behind us are in their 40's and both got it. He had slight discomfort while breathing, which is why they went in to be tested, she had no symptoms at all.

Also, since there is no vaccine, and may never be one, the best way to get through this is to let it burn its way out.

I am willing to bet that with the plethora of Covid 19 related threads on this site, not one person has changed their mind about most aspects of this disease, the pandemic, and how it has been managed. Yet, many continue to try to do just that. Definition of insanity:)

Reactions: mjtommy and pmtdc
The NY Times article did not state that 90% of positive tests are asymptomatic or false positives.

The CDC data you are referencing showed that only 6% of COVID deaths occurred in individuals with zero comorbidities. Someone can have a comorbidity and still die from COVID. I can’t believe that even has to be said, but here we are.

Basically, everything you said in this post above is complete bull$hit. You quite literally have no idea what you are talking about.
The 6% statistic basically tells you that about 6% of people that died had a lazy person fill out their death certificate. Mostly these are probably old people that died at home or in a nursing home.
If you die in the hospital like most people who died with COVID you are going to have some comorbidities.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
I saw the chart but did not see where those numbers came from. Can you (or anybody else) provide a link to the source? TIA!

Here is the source of the data, but it is cumbersome to navigate:

Numerous articles have been written about it

I like how the deniers/"CDC 6 Percenters" keep skipping over this point that we are over 200k average deaths this year. Furthermore the twitter ban was of a QANON follower that completely twisted the CDC statement and was deserved. Go ahead, defend QANON while you are at it.

I think football should be played, my kids are playing fall sports. However I can also admit that I understand my family is taking a risk and should take precautions such as refraining from visiting my mother-in-law with diabetes.

Telling people to go hide under their beds and push false political drivel is just despicable behavior.

Homicides are up, Suicides are up, people are dying from not going to the doctor out of fear, there are lots of reason that number is higher. Is Coronavirus 1 of them? Yes, but staying locked down, and preventing people who are young, healthy, at virtually no risk from going outside is the wrong approach and has crushed the economy.

Most people who are within days (even weeks) of death are usually in hospice and don't last long there. I doubt there are many of those people being included in the Covid counts.
Bullshit - several months ago I read an article that, after being asked about these types of people landing in the Covid death category, quoted a doctor in saying "i'd be lying if I said these patients weren't sometimes being listed as Covid-19 deaths."

How frequently it has been happening...I don't know. But it's been happening.. for both political and financial reasons.

Reactions: jo12208
Homicides are up, Suicides are up, people are dying from not going to the doctor out of fear, there are lots of reason that number is higher. Is Coronavirus 1 of them? Yes, but staying locked down, and preventing people who are young, healthy, at virtually no risk from going outside is the wrong approach and has crushed the economy.

That number is now over 235,000. Of course the factors you listed have played some role, but you are delusional if you don’t acknowledge that COVID is the cause of the overwhelming majority of those deaths.

I am in agreement with you, for the most part, that “lock downs” are not an effective strategy for dealing with the virus.

Reactions: SB_SB
Bullshit - several months ago I read an article that, after being asked about these types of people landing in the Covid death category, quoted a doctor in saying "i'd be lying if I said these patients weren't sometimes being listed as Covid-19 deaths."

How frequently it has been happening...I don't know. But it's been happening.. for both political and financial reasons.

So you found one doctor who made a claim about some deaths months ago and you also admit you don't know how frequently it's happening, and yet you tell me my statement was BS. Some of you people have just gone nuts with trying to justify the deaths, rather than just accepting the real fact, people died from the virus. It must be hell to live with your thought process. You must think everyone is out to get you and ruining your life.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
So you found one doctor who made a claim about some deaths months ago and you also admit you don't know how frequently it's happening, and yet you tell me my statement was BS. Some of you people have just gone nuts with trying to justify the deaths, rather than just accepting the real fact, people died from the virus. It must be hell to live with your thought process. You must think everyone is out to get you and ruining your life.
Look - we all have relatively the same information to work with on this, and we ALL know that people ARE dying.
But to those of us on the opposite side of the canyon as you and those like you, the statistics / different risk levels to certain demographics don't justify a) everyone needing to take the same precautions and b) shutting down college football / society in general.

The statistics simply do not justify what we have done and are still doing after several months of learning about the coronavirus.

Not all age groups need to carry the same level of fear and anxiety around. Just like so many other sicknesses floating around every single day in every corner of the country - people are affected differently and therefore need to take different approaches to protect themselves. Younger people are at a much lower risk and can safely take fewer precautions.

Knowing what we know, why do you not see it this way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Legs94
LOL, LMAO, "hide in your basement". You got him really good with that one. That's the first time I've heard that one. If you don't mind, I'm going to start using it.

Why would you tell people to hide when your goal is to get things back to normal? Do you really want things back to normal or do you just like to complain about others? Based on your response, I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
You don’t know squat.

He got the answer his post deserved.

We can get back to some semblance of normal now. Just take reasonable precautions....masks if around other people, wash hands frequently, stay home if not feeling well, keep elderly and those most susceptible isolated.....and folks can go about their business as usual. Including sports.

I tell the hate filled partisan hacks like Aristotle that seem to want everything shut down to hide in their basement. Those are the people I “complain about.”

Iowa is No. 1 -- as the new COVID-19 hotspot in the entire country. Way to go, Gov. Reynolds. Keep those kids in school. And, hell yes, play football, boys.

Or, you can read this and try to understand why 61 conferences are NOT playing college football and only SIX are. It's not exactly like the Big Ten is alone in this.

Here's the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...esearchers-say/ss-BB18yRcr?li=BBnbcA0#image=5

First of all - 6%. Stop being a coronabro.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

These kinds of cases happen every year with regular influenza. They count those as influenza deaths or cancer deaths?

People died from influenza and will continue to and have since humans evolved. but, but ,but this is way worse and I am scared to go outside.

You get an annual flu shot there cupcake?

And, good luck with your lockdowns bud, those days are coming to a close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT