ADVERTISEMENT

Harvard researcher says Iowa, Alabama, two other states should 'lock down immediately'

Honestly it’s apparent that I can look up at the sky and say it’s green and some of y’all would be adamant it’s purple.

we are never going to agree....because frankly we can’t even agree on any common facts...I for one will not be supporting the Hawks if they resume before spring.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Honestly it’s apparent that I can look up at the sky and say it’s green and some of y’all would be adamant it’s purple.

we are never going to agree....because frankly we can’t even agree on any common facts...I for one will not be supporting the Hawks if they resume before spring.

Then don't bro. Your choice just like it should be the choice of the adults that want to play.

You don’t know squat.

He got the answer his post deserved.

We can get back to some semblance of normal now. Just take reasonable precautions....masks if around other people, wash hands frequently, stay home if not feeling well, keep elderly and those most susceptible isolated.....and folks can go about their business as usual. Including sports.

I tell the hate filled partisan hacks like Aristotle that seem to want everything shut down to hide in their basement. Those are the people I “complain about.”

Most people agree with you. There are not that many people that think everything needs to be shut down. I am okay with going back to normal with the modifications you mentioned. The problem is, many people are not willing to take those precautions, and they are ruining it for everyone else.

Most people agree with you. There are not that many people that think everything needs to be shut down. I am okay with going back to normal with the modifications you mentioned. The problem is, many people are not willing to take those precautions, and they are ruining it for everyone else.
This exactly. I had high hopes back in early June we would be able to put all this behind us and get back to almost normal....then everyone said “take a hike I have the freedom not to wear a mask”

and I realized most people just don’t care about anyone but themselves...

Missing from this discussion is the financial incentive to list Covid on the death certificate.

Well, we will soon find out. ISU, U of I, the whole state is kind of exploding with cases right now. We will find out if we are all ok or if we are screwed. Looks like most of you got what you wanted.

Missing from this discussion is the financial incentive to list Covid on the death certificate.
This isn't how it works. Medicare is paying 20% more for patients that are COVID positive but this comes from the DRG that is produced at discharge. The death certificate doesn't really come into play.
Further Doctors aren't going to put COVID DX in patients charts that don't test positive. The hospital system may have incentive but the Drs don't. Additionally these records get audited if you are billing for COVID patients that do not have positive tests you can be penalized.

The practice of locking down has been completely discredited.
Agreed, my wife's family in the Philippines has been locked down tighter then a ticks ass since March or April, and they have one of the highest infection rates in world. They get to leave the house one day a week to get groceries ect., Each barangay (district) is allowed out of the house with a pass one day a week.

Reactions: unclesammy
Agreed, my wife's family in the Philippines has been locked down tighter then a ticks ass since March or April, and they have one of the highest infection rates in world. They get to leave the house one day a week to get groceries ect., Each barangay (district) is allowed out of the house with a pass one day a week.

What a life.

Because the virus peaked in New York and New Jersey first, when we knew nothing about the virus. Texas and Florida weren’t hit until months later, allowing them to gain valuable information and data about how to treat the virus and how best to limit its spread.

Totally mishandled the senior citizens. Had 4,000 beds in ship and government built hospital but ignored them and sent sick Covid patients back to Nursing homes. All the fault of governors.

Totally mishandled the senior citizens. Had 4,000 beds in ship and government built hospital but ignored them and sent sick Covid patients back to Nursing homes. All the fault of governors.

Yes, they messed up, and it killed a lot of people that didn’t have to die. However, if you are going to crucify the governors of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, etc. for their poor handling of the outbreak with incomplete information, I hope you apply those same standards to the response of the White House. If not, you’re nothing but a partisan hypocrite.

Yeah....maybe...but that Russian thing before this WAS real. Just ask Mueller, well maybe not him, but its STILL true! Media tells me so! Rinse and repeat for the sheeple.

Dude, there was a bipartisan report that says the Russians did interfere. Get out of here with that "media bad, only Trump knows best" kind of BS.

This isn't how it works. Medicare is paying 20% more for patients that are COVID positive but this comes from the DRG that is produced at discharge. The death certificate doesn't really come into play.
Further Doctors aren't going to put COVID DX in patients charts that don't test positive. The hospital system may have incentive but the Drs don't. Additionally these records get audited if you are billing for COVID patients that do not have positive tests you can be penalized.

How hard is to get a positive result on the test? Seems like they are getting a lot of false positives and it happens fairly regularly. ie. I saw the 75 NFL players that had positive test results now might have all been false positives. Seems like the variables in testing procedures is spitting out some unreliable data points.

Anyway, I bring up financial incentive because it is an actual thing. I have no idea how this may or may not be skewing the numbers but you are talking about billions of dollars in mitigation attempts by the feds. This money is pouring into a health system that is being decimated because nobody is going to any doctor or hospital unless you absolutely have to right now.

Reactions: unclesammy
So you found one doctor who made a claim about some deaths months ago and you also admit you don't know how frequently it's happening, and yet you tell me my statement was BS. Some of you people have just gone nuts with trying to justify the deaths, rather than just accepting the real fact, people died from the virus. It must be hell to live with your thought process. You must think everyone is out to get you and ruining your life.

And that doctor was found to be a political hack and Fox News person.

For you right-wingers, you can see the fact check here. Hospitals are not overinflating their numbers.

Reactions: SB_SB
Lol more fear mongering when it’s completely unwarranted. But you do you.
article-0-1A2B262D00000578-818_636x382.jpg

you are not addressing the data at all. the best evidence throughout the pandemic that the number of covid death were not over counted is that the increase in the death rate has been greater than the number of covid deaths. this is solid data. again, our death rate has gone up more than the reported covid deaths and this argues that covid deaths are being under counted and not over counted. sorry, but dont understand your argument or how it would have any bearing on this.

Actually, that's not at all evidence that COVID deaths are undercounted. Instead, it's evidence that the deaths caused by the lockdowns are accumulating just as many experts predicted they would way back in March when the totalitarians began exploiting the intelectually defenseless. Delayed medical treatment that the lockdowns banned as "non-essential", coupled with increased deaths due to social ills such as suicide, drug overdose, doestic violence, etc. This is why many researchers are now estimating that the life-years lost to the lockdowns far exceed those lost to COVID.

Look - we all have relatively the same information to work with on this, and we ALL know that people ARE dying.
But to those of us on the opposite side of the canyon as you and those like you, the statistics / different risk levels to certain demographics don't justify a) everyone needing to take the same precautions and b) shutting down college football / society in general.

The statistics simply do not justify what we have done and are still doing after several months of learning about the coronavirus.

Not all age groups need to carry the same level of fear and anxiety around. Just like so many other sicknesses floating around every single day in every corner of the country - people are affected differently and therefore need to take different approaches to protect themselves. Younger people are at a much lower risk and can safely take fewer precautions.

Knowing what we know, why do you not see it this way?

I'm not asking for a total shutdown. I have a kid on campus. I get there is a higher levels of concern based on criteria. What seems to be the typical answer (and you even mentioned it) is that each group only needs to protect themselves. There's your flaw, right there. That's exactly why we can't get back to normal. Because you want an environment of, every man for himself. So as someone who is in a higher risk, how do I go back to normal knowing there are people who are not taking precautions that protect me (and I'm healthy, it's my ages that makes me at risk). So what am I supposed to do. I tell you what I do, I stay away from anywhere that I feel isn't right. Now, apply my situation to 50% (just guessing on the % since I'm middle age) of the people (who are my age or have preexisting conditions, or both), and guess what you end up with, a country that can't go back to normal because over 50% are unable to. What someone should be doing is figuring out the percentage of people needed in order to get back to somewhat normal, then make decisions that will allow that percentage to feel ok with going back. Until that happens you're going to have what we currently have. Stop thinking that you can assign precautions to groups like the groups don't interact.

Reactions: IAHawk2011
These kinds of cases happen every year with regular influenza. They count those as influenza deaths or cancer deaths?

Can everyone just stop with the comparison to the flu. You totally make a fool out of yourself.

And to be honest, I don't know how they count it and I don't really care.

People died from influenza and will continue to and have since humans evolved. but, but ,but this is way worse and I am scared to go outside.

You get an annual flu shot there cupcake?

Yes I do get a flu shot. You and 83 need to get together because you love to tell people to hide. You can try to insult people all you want but that's not going to open everything back up. Just keep banging you head against the wall, it's worked so well for you.

Well, we will soon find out. ISU, U of I, the whole state is kind of exploding with cases right now. We will find out if we are all ok or if we are screwed. Looks like most of you got what you wanted.
We're only all screwed if the majority of us is over 70, or we or have other pre existing health conditions.
What a life.
We're retiring there in about 6 years, so hopefully this shit is long gone by then. :eek:

Actually, that's not at all evidence that COVID deaths are undercounted. Instead, it's evidence that the deaths caused by the lockdowns are accumulating just as many experts predicted they would way back in March when the totalitarians began exploiting the intelectually defenseless. Delayed medical treatment that the lockdowns banned as "non-essential", coupled with increased deaths due to social ills such as suicide, drug overdose, doestic violence, etc. This is why many researchers are now estimating that the life-years lost to the lockdowns far exceed those lost to COVID.

Lol. Dude - if you are arguing that the 235,000 deaths we have seen are not due to COVID, but rather are attributed to the lockdowns, you are suffering from some brutally bad confirmation bias. There has no doubt been a rise in deaths due to these other factors, but it is minuscule in comparison to the deaths caused by COVID.

If all that's true then what the deal with republican states. You have a republican president, republican governors, why aren't those states back to normal and with no issues? Why is the Iowa shutting down businesses?

Lol. Dude - if you are arguing that the 235,000 deaths we have seen are not due to COVID, but rather are attributed to the lockdowns, you are suffering from some brutally bad confirmation bias. There has no doubt been a rise in deaths due to these other factors, but it is minuscule in comparison to the deaths caused by COVID.

I'm arguing that you're too dumb to figure out there are lockdown deaths, and there are COVID deaths.

You're providing evidence my argument is correct.

If all that's true then what the deal with republican states. You have a republican president, republican governors, why aren't those states back to normal and with no issues? Why is the Iowa shutting down businesses?

What you think that just because you're not smart enough to know there are both lockdown deaths and COVID deaths means everybody in republican states is necessarily smarter than you?

What you think that just because you're not smart enough to know there are both lockdown deaths and COVID deaths means everybody in republican states is necessarily smarter than you?

Enough with the "you're dumb", "not smart" sh!t. You've completely lost it and it's probably time for you to step away.

I'm arguing that you're too dumb to figure out there are lockdown deaths, and there are COVID deaths.

You're providing evidence my argument is correct.

I literally acknowledged in my post that there were “lockdown deaths.” If there is anyone here that is “too dumb,” it’s the person that doesn’t know how to read (that’s you, in case you couldn’t figure that one out on your own).

How hard is to get a positive result on the test? Seems like they are getting a lot of false positives and it happens fairly regularly. ie. I saw the 75 NFL players that had positive test results now might have all been false positives. Seems like the variables in testing procedures is spitting out some unreliable data points.

Anyway, I bring up financial incentive because it is an actual thing. I have no idea how this may or may not be skewing the numbers but you are talking about billions of dollars in mitigation attempts by the feds. This money is pouring into a health system that is being decimated because nobody is going to any doctor or hospital unless you absolutely have to right now.
The testing question is a really difficult one. When designing a test there's a lot of consideration put into where to draw the threshold for a positive result. One of the biggest considerations is what are the consequences of misdiagnosing someone with a disease and the consequences of failing to DX somebody with a disease they have. The statistics folks will also point out that disease prevalence within a community can effect how these thresholds should be drawn.

There has been an argument that the current PCR testing may be too sensitive. And that a less sensitive test may be more useful.

Enough with the "you're dumb", "not smart" sh!t. You've completely lost it and it's probably time for you to step away.

I'd think you'd be more used to others recognizing yoru cognitive dissonance by now. Maybe you're just slow.

I literally acknowledged in my post that there were “lockdown deaths.” If there is anyone here that is “too dumb,” it’s the person that doesn’t know how to read (that’s you, in case you couldn’t figure that one out on your own).

Says the guy who thinks he read in my post that "235,000 deaths we have seen are....attributed to the lockdowns".

Maybe your local community college offers an ENglish as a second language course?

Says the guy who thinks he read in my post that "235,000 deaths we have seen are....attributed to the lockdowns".

Maybe your local community college offers an ENglish as a second language course?

Another post calling someone stupid and failing to catch a typo in your own post. You’re on a roll! When you go back for your GED, I would recommend spending a little more time on the language arts coursework.

Reactions: SB_SB
Another post calling someone stupid and failing to catch a typo in your own post. You’re on a roll! When you go back for your GED, I would recommend spending a little more time on the language arts coursework.

if the pointy white cap fits..........

If all goes well for you, maybe one day you can become my typist. I wouldn't count on it, but maybe.

I'd think you'd be more used to others recognizing yoru cognitive dissonance by now. Maybe you're just slow.

You can call everyone names, but that doesn't change the fact you seem to hate life at this moment. You might want to step away from all of this because you seem like you're headed to be one of those statistics that you and other posters like to talk about. I know dealing with reality is hard for some people and it seems to be extremely hard on you right now. And don't bother responding because I'm headed back to my basement to hide.

Exactly, but for some reason there are group of people, and maybe it's because they hate Trump so much? that refuse to really look at the data and the circumstances and take it for what it is. They just want to believe this has all been mismanaged and we are going to have a billion deaths if we go back to normal life.

You can call everyone names, but that doesn't change the fact you seem to hate life at this moment. You might want to step away from all of this because you seem like you're headed to be one of those statistics that you and other posters like to talk about. I know dealing with reality is hard for some people and it seems to be extremely hard on you right now. And don't bother responding because I'm headed back to my basement to hide.

Life is great. After all, what could be more enteratining than goading you into endlessly parading around HR in your pointy white cap. Now if we could just get the totalitarians to quit exploiting hte intellectually defenseless, it would damn near be utopia.

and yet I'm guessing you support abortion. Sorry wrong topic.

Reactions: Clownhater
Exactly, but for some reason there are group of people, and maybe it's because they hate Trump so much? that refuse to really look at the data and the circumstances and take it for what it is. They just want to believe this has all been mismanaged and we are going to have a billion deaths if we go back to normal life.

I'm no Trump fan, but indeed the major TDS outbreak running rampant might be worse than the virus.

ADVERTISEMENT