ADVERTISEMENT

Harvard researcher says Iowa, Alabama, two other states should 'lock down immediately'

Why? The death rate is less than 1% for people under 60. Then if you factor in that there are A LOT who have had it that don’t show up in the numbers. The reality is everyone is going to get this and it could be a year or more before the vaccine is in the system.

Reactions: pmtdc
In my circle (personal and professional) every single person agrees with me. I think the overwhelming majority of the population agrees with me. This is why it so hard for the "SHUT IT DOWN" crowd to effectively win with their message. It's not working and they know it.

Pretty much people are out there living since about May and KNOW that covid is no riskier than any other daily event you could encounter. FACT

If the majority of the people agreed with you then you'd see a different outcome from leaders, especially republican leaders.

And keep in mind that even if you had 51% of the people to agree with you, that's probably still not enough for everything to be back to normal. You'd probably need about 70% (just my guess) of the people to get back to normal. In order for you to get that extra 20%, you would need a valid plan coming from the president so people feel they're being protected. But that's not happening from this president. So as a country we screwed ourselves by who we voted for. Honestly, we maybe got off easy, trump could have easily started a world war.

If the majority of the people agreed with you then you'd see a different outcome from leaders, especially republican leaders.

And keep in mind that even if you had 51% of the people to agree with you, that's probably still not enough for everything to be back to normal. You'd probably need about 70% (just my guess) of the people to get back to normal. In order for you to get that extra 20%, you would need a valid plan coming from the president so people feel they're being protected. But that's not happening from this president. So as a country we screwed ourselves by who we voted for. Honestly, we maybe got off easy, trump could have easily started a world war.
A statistic I read above: The death rate is less than 1% for people under age 60.

I would like to know how you feel about that...when you read those words and numbers are you thinking "whoa, yeah, makes sense we're not playing football and the Big Ten made the right call."

I mean....LESS THAN 1% !!

Reactions: pmtdc
Iowa is No. 1 -- as the new COVID-19 hotspot in the entire country. Way to go, Gov. Reynolds. Keep those kids in school. And, hell yes, play football, boys.

Or, you can read this and try to understand why 61 conferences are NOT playing college football and only SIX are. It's not exactly like the Big Ten is alone in this.

Here's the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...esearchers-say/ss-BB18yRcr?li=BBnbcA0#image=5

Outspoken political hacks like yourself on the left are going to be the reason Trump likely wins (again). Zero self awareness.

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
Why would we let facts get in the way of the narrative?

To be 100% fair, both Dems and Reps are doing their best to spin the numbers to fit the narrative. It sucks because the public is forced to make real impactful decisions based on biased data. It takes more time, but I try to catch up on both CNN and Fox News then determine what I actually believe.

A statistic I read above: The death rate is less than 1% for people under age 60.

I would like to know how you feel about that...when you read those words and numbers are you thinking "whoa, yeah, makes sense we're not playing football and the Big Ten made the right call."

I mean....LESS THAN 1% !!

You can keep repeating your same old lines but it's obviously that's not how everyone else feels. You come off like the religious nuts on campus. You have one message and most people don't relate to it, but you're going to keep screaming it and calling people names. You can see how well that's worked for you. You might want to try plan B.

So you are saying we got this thing under total control now. Good deal. Let's go.

It is a lot more under control in the last two months, than it was in March, April & May...when 90% of the people that went on a ventilator died... Now only about 10-15% die.... Had everything blown up at the same time, there would be no less than 5 times the amount of dead.

Not everyone agrees with you about covid being like the flu. You're fighting a losing battle on this one. You're just banging your head against the wall, over and over. The majority of the population feels differently than you and so you have zero control over it. There's nothing you can do at this point but bitch and moan. If you don't want out, you might end up with high blood pressure and be included in the high risk group.
I think the majority depends on where you live. South, Midwest, not so much. California, they have those people so worked up they don't even want to leave their houses. The people I work with say the news is all Covid and Wildfires all the time. Other big cities, yes, they have the masses very worried. Iowa is supposed to be one of the "hottest spots in the country" right now. How full are the hospitals? How many people under the age of 75 are getting sick and dying? I agree, it's different than the flu, but the people it affects is not. If you are unhealthy, any virus is going to get you sick and some viruses are more life threatening than the other. I get why, day 1 we were very careful, but we have so much information now, this should've been over awhile ago. Now it's just political fear mongering. It's a bunch of BS, and I don't know how anyone who spends any time breaking down the data can feel any differently.

I think the majority depends on where you live. South, Midwest, not so much. California, they have those people so worked up they don't even want to leave their houses. The people I work with say the news is all Covid and Wildfires all the time. Other big cities, yes, they have the masses very worried. Iowa is supposed to be one of the "hottest spots in the country" right now. How full are the hospitals? How many people under the age of 75 are getting sick and dying? I agree, it's different than the flu, but the people it affects is not. If you are unhealthy, any virus is going to get you sick and some viruses are more life threatening than the other. I get why, day 1 we were very careful, but we have so much information now, this should've been over awhile ago. Now it's just political fear mongering. It's a bunch of BS, and I don't know how anyone who spends any time breaking down the data can feel any differently.

And what was the revered Fauci saying back in January and February. He is the man, right. Go back and look at his public statements. Said to worry more about regular flu than COVID. but, but Trump!

Reactions: Legs94
And what was the revered Fauci saying back in January and February. He is the man, right. Go back and look at his public statements. Said to worry more about regular flu than COVID. but, but Trump!
He has also said there is no reason can't go out and vote in public. But Trump is trying to rig the election? People need to get back out in the world, everyone is losing their damn minds apparently.

You can keep repeating your same old lines but it's obviously that's not how everyone else feels. You come off like the religious nuts on campus. You have one message and most people don't relate to it, but you're going to keep screaming it and calling people names. You can see how well that's worked for you. You might want to try plan B.
I don't know why you can't just tell me how you feel about what I asked you.....

Genuinely curious what you think when you read that statistic?

It is because t that time, January February, Covid was not here yet, and the Flu was pretty bad during those months..... It is not hard to use your brain cell man

Reactions: SB_SB

Just keep bitching and moaning, it's working for you. At some point you have to come to the realization that people are concerned. It's not just me, hell, I go out, I have a kid on campus. I'm just telling you that you're not getting what you want because people don't feel safe and don't trust trump's plan. You have a trump loving republican governor closing things down. If that happens, then people are going to be concerned. People are always going to be scared when there's a lack of leadership and a plan. Things will probably get better if Biden is elected, and that's because people will probably trust Biden and he's do things to make people feel safe.

I don't know why you can't just tell me how you feel about what I asked you.....

Genuinely curious what you think when you read that statistic?

The statistic is flawed to fit the narrative. Everyone has pick stats to fit what they want. That is the problem. No one sees it except from their own set of flawed eyes.

It is because t that time, January February, Covid was not here yet, and the Flu was pretty bad during those months..... It is not hard to use your brain cell man

Funny cause Trump put the first travel ban in at the end of January and was called a racist for it. But, but Trump!!!

The statistic is flawed to fit the narrative. Everyone has pick stats to fit what they want. That is the problem. No one sees it except from their own set of flawed eyes.

So you are admitting you are biased. Good for you. That's the first step.

Just keep bitching and moaning, it's working for you. At some point you have to come to the realization that people are concerned. It's not just me, hell, I go out, I have a kid on campus. I'm just telling you that you're not getting what you want because people don't feel safe and don't trust trump's plan. You have a trump loving republican governor closing things down. If that happens, then people are going to be concerned. People are always going to be scared when there's a lack of leadership and a plan. Things will probably get better if Biden is elected, and that's because people will probably trust Biden and he's do things to make people feel safe.

Oh you all wanted her to shut down everything everywhere back in April.

If masks work where is Biden? He should be out there every day in public and taking questions. Instead he hides out taking his dementia meds.

I don't believe your stats, nor does many other people.
Ok. For shits and giggles:

328 Million in this country
Total Covid-related deaths - 170,000
Covid-related deaths from all ages through 64 - 34,198

So, how worried should people under the age of 65 be? Or any age for that matter? Do the math. This, according to the CDC website, is Factual Information. It is not debatable at this point.

Oh you all wanted her to shut down everything everywhere back in April.

If masks work where is Biden? He should be out there every day in public and taking questions. Instead he hides out taking his dementia meds.

Keep up the name calling, it's working so well for you.

Reactions: hawkfeever
So you are admitting you are biased. Good for you. That's the first step.
But you are not? I am not getting it. So it is ok for you to be biased but not other people? and no I am not biased. I am in the middle ground with this thing. I trust no one.

So, how worried should people under the age of 65 be? Or any age for that matter? Do the math. This, according to the CDC website, is Factual Information. It is not debatable at this point.

If we didn't have people protecting themselves, we'd see those numbers much higher.

NOT ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE HAVE HAD COVID. sorry but that is why the stat is flawed. not everyone has had this disease.

But you are not? I am not getting it. So it is ok for you to be biased but not other people? and no I am not biased. I am in the middle ground with this thing. I trust no one.

100% of the people on this planet have bias, yes. Always have and always will. There will be no fixing it. And when 85% of journalists vote for the candidate of one party and claim they are unbiased I call bullshit there also.

Funny cause Trump put the first travel ban in at the end of January and was called a racist for it. But, but Trump!!!

I didnt call him a racist.......It was going to be impossible for any president, Dem or Rep, to lead this country during an election year. Especially with this pandemic going on.

100% of the people on this planet have bias, yes. Always have and always will. There will be no fixing it. And when 85% of journalists vote for the candidate of one party and claim they are unbiased I call bullshit there also.

I am just guessing, but you do not trust any other news outlet but conservative right?

If you are under 60 and no preexisting conditions, you should be worried about 100 other things before you worry about COVID. Influenza is more deadly to under 18 year old kids. The S for brains on here don't give a damn when people die of regular flu. They for some reason only jumped on this covid thing in year 2020. They can't say why a covid death means more than a flu death in any prior year.

Always the imaginary boogey man out there. Everybody is afraid of what is lurking.

Again, keep up with the same plan, you're really getting what you want. You do what you want to do and I'll do what I want to.

If you are under 60 and no preexisting conditions, you should be worried about 100 other things before you worry about COVID. Influenza is more deadly to under 18 year old kids.

Just circling back around. You could probably find that 50% of the people have preexisting conditions. Keep pissing into the wind, it's working for you.

Reactions: David1979
Just circling back around. You could probably find that 50% of the people have preexisting conditions. Keep pissing into the wind, it's working for you.
You do realize you are a hypocrite? Right? you are attacking people here posing your bias just like everyone is. Your holier than thou act is running a little thin.

You do realize you are a hypocrite? Right? you are attacking people here posing your bias just like everyone is. Your holier than thou act is running a little thin.

Please explain. I'm not attacking anyone. They're free to do what they want. They're the ones who want everyone to go back to normal so their lives get back to normal. Everyone can protect themselves to whatever level they want. I'm just letting them know they're wasting their time trying to force people to act in their way. it's just not going to happen. But they're free to keep trying.

Iowa is No. 1 -- as the new COVID-19 hotspot in the entire country. Way to go, Gov. Reynolds. Keep those kids in school. And, hell yes, play football, boys.

Or, you can read this and try to understand why 61 conferences are NOT playing college football and only SIX are. It's not exactly like the Big Ten is alone in this.

Here's the article: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...esearchers-say/ss-BB18yRcr?li=BBnbcA0#image=5
Yes, please let's take direction from a Harvard prof.

I wish this thread would get shut down. I’m sick of the political BS.

Are you saying most Americans are lazy asses who sit around eating chicken nuggets and pie and not taking care of themselves?

OP, I live with a COVID nurse and am good friends with a doctor. You need to seriously get on some psychiatric meds.

The purpose of experts is to PROVIDE INFORMATION BASED ON THEIR EXPERTISE. It is not to advise actual, specific policy that affects more than their specific discipline. You do not go to the dentist and ask him or her how much you should floss, because he or she will tell you a frequency that is way more than you’re going to put up with. You go to the dentist so you can educate yourself on the EFFECTS of not flossing and make up your mind, with that information, about how often you will floss ... your determination will likely be somewhere between some outrageous number like ten times per day and not ever.

Similarly, as Dr. Fauci has REPEATEDLY stated, public health experts’ jobs should not be to dictate actual policy but rather provide educated and data-based estimates for what the public health effects of various COVID responses will be. They are not considering the economic effects or mental health effects because THAT’S NOT THEIR JOB. Similarly, an economist who’s advising leaders on this pandemic will not advise them on public health, even though that’s relevant ... that’s not their job.

It’s obvious to anyone who’s not either so in denial about this virus being a big deal OR as hysterical as you that this far in, you need a balanced approach (i.e., not listening strictly to one discipline).

You can’t shut down. Period. Period. So, effort should be thrown behind making staying open as safe as possible, with things like reduced capacities, social distancing, mask regulations, etc.

Seriously, bro, seek some help or at least stop obsessing about this daily ... being genuine. :(

ADVERTISEMENT