ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone actually seen someone use the chairlift to get into the pool?

UNIowaHawk

HR Legend
Jul 22, 2011
We have a couple pools in our HOA and we have to, by code, provide those handicap chairlifts for the cripples to get into the pool. We also have to pay gobs of money to get them inspected each year. I’ve lived here for nearly 10 years now and not once have I seen them used and I frequent the pools quite often with my kids. Our neighbor kid (18) is paralyzed from the waist down from a fall from a tree when he was 7 and he doesn’t even use it.

Reactions: Pinehawk
We have a couple pools in our HOA and we have to, by code, provide those handicap chairlifts for the cripples to get into the pool. We also have to pay gobs of money to get them inspected each year. I’ve lived here for nearly 10 years now and not once have I seen them used and I frequent the pools quite often with my kids. Our neighbor kid (18) is paralyzed from the waist down from a fall from a tree when he was 7 and he doesn’t even use it.

Interesting that your HOA has them. I’ve lived in two HOA communities, and both of them had their pools and clubhouse side designated as private, so they are not subject to any public accommodation laws.

Last edited:
old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

How much, exactly, does this personally cost you?

Interesting that your HOA has them. I’ve lived in two HOA communities, and both of them had their pools and clubhouse side tidied as private, so they are not subject to any public accommodation laws.
They're still subject to those rules.

But if they were built prior to ADA laws, they are not required to upgrade them. However, IF they do any renovations, they will be required to.

At the gym I used to go to, there was a therapy pool and a lot of old people used the lift to get in and out. I never did see anyone recovering from an injury use it though.

I remember seeing a hotel pool that was closed because the chair needed to be repaired.

If the non-existent disabled guest can't swim, no one can swim.

Reactions: SIXERS24
I remember seeing a hotel pool that was closed because the chair needed to be repaired.

If the non-existent disabled guest can't swim, no one can swim.
I can guarantee you that was not the ONLY reason the pool was closed.

I’ve seen the lift at the Y down for repair, but they didn’t shut down the whole pool. It was only closed during the time of the repair itself because of the access needed.

Try again.

Side issue, if I were King I would make abuse of disabled permits and other accommodations a mandatory year in prison.
I'd sidestep the prison time, and require them to be strapped into a wheelchair for 16 hours a day. Let them use the disabled-spaces, etc for the latter 6 months. No use for the first 6 months.

Reactions: mstp1992
Reminds of when people were bitching about a double amputee sprinter was running against non handicapped runners. "The blades give him an advantage!!!!"

Fine. Just cut your legs off and get some blades as well.

Or, we could run them over with a Russian tank.

#Options

Where do you live?
Those chairs are only absolutely required if the pool is used for events where outside non-members might access the pool to use.
One at each end might cost $50K total plus the maintenance costs.
Don’t allow swim meets, or summer church camp rentals or HOA member guest events and it’s avoidable.

Reactions: win4jj
Yes, at the YMCA. My sister-in-law, several residents from Discovery Living, other people with mobility issues.

The OP seems like a real asshole.

The YMCA is a place OPEN FOR PUBLIC ACCESS. You would expect mobility equipment there.

Where do you live?
Those chairs are only absolutely required if the pool is used for events where outside non-members might access the pool to use.
One at each end might cost $50K total plus the maintenance costs.
Don’t allow swim meets, or summer church camp rentals or HOA member guest events and it’s avoidable.
I think op is messing with us. At least that’s my hope.

They're still subject to those rules.

But if they were built prior to ADA laws, they are not required to upgrade them. However, IF they do any renovations, they will be required to.

How is it you’re also a legal beagle in addition to your duties as a Covid expert and wise sage on any and all matters?

By the way Art Radley is correct.

Reactions: coloradonoles
How is it you’re also a legal beagle in addition to your duties as a Covid expert and wise sage on any and all matters?

By the way Art Radley is correct.
Not if Timmay and his parents move into the HOA and require access for him.

In the TEN YEARS or so since this passed I’ve seen ONE pool at a condo that allowed owners to do weekly rentals.
One of the “unintended consequences” was that the lifeguard spent a
lot of time yelling at kids to stop climbing on it and using it to jump off of...because diving boards are now a thing of the past. Safety issues!
Those installed on oceanfront pools also had a disturbing tendency to have parts rust out quickly because things on the ocean tend to do that.

ADVERTISEMENT