ADVERTISEMENT

Has Calling It "The Big Lie" Worked for the Dems or the Nation?

Worked in what way?
You tell me.

The Dems and their sympathetic media settled on this label, I assume, to try to make it easy for Americans to see what some Republicans (initially; most Republicans now) were trying to get away with. The label is accurate. But did it bring Americans to see the pro-Trump and anti-democracy actions of Republican operatives as wrong? Or did it merely harden the polarization?

Would more or fewer Americans believe the Big Lie if they hadn't promoted this label so strongly?

No.

It's just like all the other lefty buzzwords they try to impose on America.

Nobody wants to be LatinX...

Only a moron would have a problem with binary pronouns...

We don't need reporters emphasizing that someone is a " BLACK MAN" when there was interaction with the police.

Although now that Trump is out of power, we no longer hear reporters say "without evidence" all the time, which is nice.

Last edited:
You tell me.

The Dems and their sympathetic media settled on this label, I assume, to try to make it easy for Americans to see what some Republicans (initially; most Republicans now) were trying to get away with. The label is accurate. But did it bring Americans to see the pro-Trump and anti-democracy actions of Republican operatives as wrong? Or did it merely harden the polarization?

Would more or fewer Americans believe the Big Lie if they hadn't promoted this label so strongly?

It would probably be about the same. The people buying into the fringe conspiracy theories aren’t swayed by facts and logic so a label won’t change things.

No.

We don't need reporters emphasizing that someone is a " BLACK MAN" when there was interaction with the police.

Although now that Trump is out of power, we no longer here reports say "without evidence" all the time, which is nice.
I’ve never heard anyone say “latinx “ other than hearing about it from cons. This is an example of a fringe belief that gets projected onto the entire left.

Works like a charm. It helps keep the people divided. Mission accomplished.

So one group aggressively perpetuates a delusional lie, and when another group consistently points out that it’s a delusional lie, you blame the second group for division? It’s not like the Democratic Party is happy with this division - it would be much better for them if there was a national consensus that we can trust our election results.

It’s not like the Democratic Party is happy with this division
I don't think it matters. I don't believe that the "Democratic Party" is that upset. They help perpetuate the division as hard as their "adversary!"

The American political model is broken. You have a ruling class- oligarchy- that benefits heavily from a perpetual division within the electorate. How that is accomplished is just scenery.

Of course. It's calling a lie a lie that is doing the dividing. Not the people who fail to accept the results of a fair election in the first place.
It's not the sole reason, no. Why be so foolish? But, it's part of the entire narrative.

Until you people accept that this country is an OLIGARCHY, your arguments and perspectives will always begin from a skewed, inaccurate origin. I know it sucks to accept it, but it's a lot more practical to accept the reality than to continue to act-out a fantasy.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
It's not the sole reason, no. Why be so foolish? But, it's part of the entire narrative.

Until you people accept that this country is an OLIGARCHY, your arguments and perspectives will always begin from a skewed, inaccurate origin. I know it sucks to accept it, but it's a lot more practical to accept the reality than to continue to act-out a fantasy.
As long as you keep voting for Republicans it is an oligarchy. Democrats actually pass legislation to enact policies they support. At least they make real attempts to do it. The problem is people like you who feel that since you aren't the person in control of making all the decisions then it is obviously just a big conspiracy to keep oligarchs in power that don't care about you because they won't do exactly what you want them to do.

As long as you keep voting for Republicans it is an oligarchy. Democrats actually pass legislation to enact policies they support. At least they make real attempts to do it. The problem is people like you who feel that since you aren't the person in control of making all the decisions then it is obviously just a big conspiracy to keep oligarchs in power that don't care about you because they won't do exactly what you want them to do.
Yeah... it's people like me! Wow! I never knew how powerful I was until you came along.

America being an oligarchy is hardly some conspiracy, dude. It's blatantly obvious! I mean... it screams at you! Now, granted, it is a real bite-in-the-ass for someone who has their identity wrapped-up in either of these two flunkie political parties, like you. It's literally no different from two sports teams! lol

"As long as the ___________ are in control, we're doomed." Talk about passing-the-buck!

Reactions: Nat Algren
As long as you keep voting for Republicans it is an oligarchy.
This one deserved a response by itself. I mean... dude... this is just dripping with a myopic perspective. It never ceases to amaze me how people can bullshit themselves into believing that THEIR political party is altruistic and acting in good faith. It's stunningly naive. Shezzus, dude! Politics absolutely REQUIRES division in order for it to exist! It's literally the blood-in-the-veins of its very existence. It's a self-preservation instinct of the whole fvcking process! I am always amazed at the levels people go to in order to believe that one side is always better than the other. And, I'm someone that typically despises Republicans more than Democrats. But, it's necessary to understand what I just said... "I typically despise Republicans over Democrats." That's like preferring a bullet in the head over gangrene.

This one deserved a response by itself. I mean... dude... this is just dripping with a myopic perspective. It never ceases to amaze me how people can bullshit themselves into believing that THEIR political party is altruistic and acting in good faith. It's stunningly naive. Shezzus, dude! Politics absolutely REQUIRES division in order for it to exist! It's literally the blood-in-the-veins of its very existence. It's a self-preservation instinct of the whole fvcking process! I am always amazed at the levels people go to in order to believe that one side is always better than the other. And, I'm someone that typically despises Republicans more than Democrats. But, it's necessary to understand what I just said... "I typically despise Republicans over Democrats." That's like preferring a bullet in the head over gangrene.
Do you ever actually read posts? Democrats try to do what they campaign on and they actually have ideas for how to move the country forward. Republicans don't. If that's not good enough for you, then you are the problem. Just someone who wants to complain about everything and throw wrenches in the machinery so nothing can get done. I bet you are the same person who complains when Democrats don't accomplish things they want, like national healthcare, and then blame Democrats for not doing it despite full support from Democratic legislatures. Then you go vote for your R representative anyway.

No.

Although now that Trump is out of power, we no longer hear reporters say "without evidence" all the time, which is nice.
So how would you characterize Trump and his sycophants constant cries of a stolen election? Should it just be ignored? Many of those on the right here told us that he would just go away but that hasn't happened.

Tell me Trad, what should the incessant lies be called?

Reactions: Tom Paris
Do you ever actually read posts? Democrats try to do what they campaign on and they actually have ideas for how to move the country forward. Republicans don't. If that's not good enough for you, then you are the problem. Just someone who wants to complain about everything and throw wrenches in the machinery so nothing can get done. I bet you are the same person who complains when Democrats don't accomplish things they want, like national healthcare, and then blame Democrats for not doing it despite full support from Democratic legislatures. Then you go vote for your R representative anyway.
The puss from the dumfukkeri virus is oozing out of you. Take a clot shot for it! Tell me who controls ALL 3 branches of government! If you said Democrats, you would be incorrect. It's the corporations, playing both sides of the fence, hedging their bets, so they have access to protect/advance their interests...NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE THRONE. It's just business, Sonny. Nothing personal. The cognitive dissonance it takes to type what you type is earth-shattering.

Listen to NPR for 15 minutes.
giphy.gif

I can't tell. What do you guys think?
I think shot like that makes more people hate the media. When they decide what’s important and what to ignore and what to label egregious and what to defend based on nothing more than political lean, people see it and hate and mistrust it more and more.

It’s fine to call thst the big lie because it is one. But there have been plenty of other things before and after that people would have easily given that label to.

The puss from the dumfukkeri virus is oozing out of you. Take a clot shot for it! Tell me who controls ALL 3 branches of government! If you said Democrats, you would be incorrect. It's the corporations, playing both sides of the fence, hedging their bets, so they have access to protect/advance their interests...NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE THRONE. It's just business, Sonny. Nothing personal. The cognitive dissonance it takes to type what you type is earth-shattering.

Again, it wasn't Democrats who voted no. Well, except Manchin and Senima. Which, if you'd ever read any other post I've made I've made my position very clear on. It actually isn't too far from whatever this lunatic diatribe that you've posted here is. But of course, looking for places of agreement just isn't what you do. That wouldn't cause the division that you seek to do every time you post.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans? ALL of the Republicans are on the take and actively working to dismantle our democracy. Just enough Democrats are to make it successful.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Here in Iowa four prominent Republican politicians (Miller-Meeks, Ashley Hinson, Chuck Grassley, Kim Reynolds) in deed believe the Big Lie works for them. Why? All four were in attendance actively cheering on Trump at his "stop the steal" rally in Des Moines on October 9th. Incidentally, both Miller-Meeks and Hinson, adhering to Trump's wishes, said "screw you" to their constituents and voted against the bipartisan infrastructure bill recently signed into law.

The difference between Democrats and Republicans? ALL of the Republicans are on the take and actively working to dismantle our democracy. Just enough Democrats are to make it successful.
And, every Republican would switch that entire script around and believe it just as fervently as you believe your version.

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
And, every Republican would switch that entire script around and believe it just as fervently as you believe your version.
The evidence of their voting history wouldn't back up what they were trying to say then. One of your problems is you seem to willing to listen to what they are saying and not paying attention to what they are actually doing.

The evidence of their voting history wouldn't back up what they were trying to say then. One of your problems is you seem to willing to listen to what they are saying and not paying attention to what they are actually doing.
Yes, because you're coming from the most objective perspective possible. You also do a helluva lot of assuming about what I do.

• Haha
Saying the last election was rigged or was fraud is a lie. A big lie

I can't tell. What do you guys think?

Don't think it matters much. Too many people in their own information silos with their own tribal allegiances.

Beyond that, I'm not sure that simply knowing that a whole bunch of people for one party believe the election was stolen means much. I think a lot of folks would say that's just "politics as usual" and blow it off. Doesn't stick as any sort of existential threat.

I don't think a significant connection has been made to the downstream threat this poses to our democratic processes with many people. I think this is going to be largely confined to the political class until something more real materializes. (ie; some state sending electors for someone that wasn't the popular vote)

Reactions: artradley
You can call thing whatever you want but D’s haven’t figured out that the only thing that matters right now is Covid. It’s not Trump, it’s not BBB, it’s not inflation - it’s that this thing is completely out of control and the D’s just gave up. The icing on the cake that they havent had the foresight to figure out as they’re busy pushing their vaccine mandates, this is going to blow up in their face because people are still getting Covid and are being forced out of work without pay even after getting the shot

It hasn’t “worked,” for them. There’s 2 groups of people. Ones that know Trump lost the election and accept it, and those that think it was stolen and Trump won. The folks that believe the latter are lost. Nothing can be done to persuade them. They have no grasp of reality.

I don't think a significant connection has been made to the downstream threat this poses to our democratic processes with many people. I think this is going to be largely confined to the political class until something more real materializes. (ie; some state sending electors for someone that wasn't the popular vote)

Yep. Americans are complacent and take our Democracy for granted. Very few comprehend the real threat we face right now. We could see states ignoring their own citizens vote, and we could see Congress ignoring the electoral vote. It is not out of the question that the military could get involved. We live dangerous times and Americans are fiddling while Trump burns our country down.

Again, it wasn't Democrats who voted no. Well, except Manchin and Senima. Which, if you'd ever read any other post I've made I've made my position very clear on. It actually isn't too far from whatever this lunatic diatribe that you've posted here is. But of course, looking for places of agreement just isn't what you do. That wouldn't cause the division that you seek to do every time you post.

Yeah...because only R's take corporate money to run these costly campaigns. 😝 If only we had a site (Open Secrets.org) that would reveal such chicanery (bribes) so we could learn to whom they are beholden.

You think like someone who still believes in what they learned in their 6th grade Civics class and then was told how it really goes down. Now, you're all grown up and acting like this:
R.bf94fddc2344635f62e8879c44a30448

The division you speak of is fomented by the Elites in power that FEAR that the masses will direct their venom at them. Divide and rule is as old as time, only you still believe in the Tooth Fairy. GROW UP!

As far as Manchin is concerned...has it ever crossed your infantile mind that Manchin was asked by Biden or the party to be the foil and if his seat is in jeopardy with the poorest state in the Union, he will be elevated to another position elsewhere? Some become college professors like Lee Hamilton at Princeton working at think tanks. Biden has been a lifelong corporatist. Hoping as you do that this leopard has changed his spots is a fool's errand.

It would have been refreshing to see a headline say, “”Biden Admin Claims, Without Evidence, That Drone Struck VBIED in Afghanistan.“

But I’m not expecting it.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Yes, because you're coming from the most objective perspective possible. You also do a helluva lot of assuming about what I do.
I don't assume anything. I just read your posts. And my perspective is based on evidence.

Please. That wasn't the question. The question was whether using that label so relentlessly has had any benefit?
Again, what would you call it? Or is your position that it should just be ignored? Because that's not a winning position to be in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT