ADVERTISEMENT

Has Carton said when he's deciding?

Just wondering, haven't ever really heard

In the fall, before basketball season starts, though it could probably be as soon as he makes a decision. At one point he said national signing day, but I doubt this goes on that long.

In the fall, before basketball season starts, though it could probably be as soon as he makes a decision. At one point he said national signing day, but I doubt this goes on that long.

I Hope it isn't that long! We need to find someone now. If DJ has plans to go somewhere else, so be it. I wish him well either way.... But we need to know that before summer.

Reactions: mick82
I Hope it isn't that long! We need to find someone now. If DJ has plans to go somewhere else, so be it. I wish him well either way.... But we need to know that before summer.
I’m sure the Iowa coaches will have a good idea if they’re going to land him or not. Hopefully they’ve learned from the Ulis recruitment at least. They were his 3rd option and didn’t seem like they knew.

I’ve heard he’s already made his decision. I don’t know when he’s going to announce though

I hope we get Carton and all the good players in our area, but having talked to and watched a lot of star players, some just don't want to be in the fishbowl with everyone in Iowa constantly watching them, and then--what happens if a player has a bad game or two and gets reamed on these sites, like half the players on the Hawkeyes at various times. . Unfortunately, fan boards like this one are watched by the kids, and if not, certainly by the parents. Some kids just want to get away and have a meaningful college experience without everyone knowing and watching their every move. Just like every college, the kids we don't get have their own personal reasons for not coming here (to Iowa).

I hope we get Carton and all the good players in our area, but having talked to and watched a lot of star players, some just don't want to be in the fishbowl with everyone in Iowa constantly watching them, and then--what happens if a player has a bad game or two and gets reamed on these sites, like half the players on the Hawkeyes at various times. . Unfortunately, fan boards like this one are watched by the kids, and if not, certainly by the parents. Some kids just want to get away and have a meaningful college experience without everyone knowing and watching their every move. Just like every college, the kids we don't get have their own personal reasons for not coming here (to Iowa).
He's going to get that wherever he goes.

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, those are fish bowls. Iowa is a walk in the park.

Bigger the program the more you will get criticism. Everyone has message boards that are all the same.

Want to escape critisim go somewhere no one is paying attention or somewhere that rarely losses like Kansas. But if you choose that route competition for PT is stiff and you could be recruited over.

Basically, man up and make an intelligent decision thats best for you as an athlete , not one based on an irrational fear of anonymous people on message boards.

I’m sure the Iowa coaches will have a good idea if they’re going to land him or not. Hopefully they’ve learned from the Ulis recruitment at least. They were his 3rd option and didn’t seem like they knew.

I’ve got to ask, but did Ulis say Iowa was his third choice? I never did read that.

I don’t think Ulis really knew where he wanted to go, until Kentucky came in late. The one thing I do remember reading was how hard it was for Ulis to tell Fran that he was choosing Kentucky.

Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, those are fish bowls. Iowa is a walk in the park.

Bigger the program the more you will get criticism. Everyone has message boards that are all the same.

Want to escape critisim go somewhere no one is paying attention or somewhere that rarely losses like Kansas. But if you choose that route competition for PT is stiff and you could be recruited over.

Basically, man up and make an intelligent decision thats best for you as an athlete , not one based on an irrational fear of anonymous people on message boards.
Your soon forgotten as well if you don't produce and don't win championships

Reactions: RocknRollface
Prohm is in Dallas attending games for Foster & Carton.
giphy.gif

I’ve got to ask, but did Ulis say Iowa was his third choice? I never did read that.

I don’t think Ulis really knew where he wanted to go, until Kentucky came in late. The one thing I do remember reading was how hard it was for Ulis to tell Fran that he was choosing Kentucky.
He did and it was brought up again this last week when a writer compared the recruitments of Carton and Ulis.

More and more Carton looks like he would be a huge get for Iowa. Competition is going to be fierce.

Pretty fierce as it is. Seven schools are squarely in the mix right now, and there's still a chance some other big programs get involved. Landing Carton would be a coup, which actually pisses me off a bit since he's right in Iowa's backyard - not that he should want to be a Hawk simply because he's from Bettendorf but that so many other schools think that they can waltz in and scoop up a 4/5-star player that Iowa is heavily targeting. No respect for Iowa. Part of that is we have had some bad seasons lately, which I'm not happy about, but a Big 10 program should be able to keep the best local players away from other schools in its own conference.

Reactions: 24 so far
What is DJ's "dream offer/school"? Every player has a favorite team growing up. Mine would have been the Hawkeyes of course.

I wonder what his is? That could be Iowa, or maybe not. And it could be Iowa, however he might not be a super huge fanatic like myself... But if it is Iowa, then we have a good chance... If he was indifferent growing up(a lot of people favor the NBA over college, and vice versa), then I do not like our chances.

Curious to know if DJ grew up a big Hawkeye fan...?

Reactions: Kinnick 4 Prez
What is DJ's "dream offer/school"? Every player has a favorite team growing up. Mine would have been the Hawkeyes of course.

I wonder what his is? That could be Iowa, or maybe not. And it could be Iowa, however he might not be a super huge fanatic like myself... But if it is Iowa, then we have a good chance... If he was indifferent growing up(a lot of people favor the NBA over college, and vice versa), then I do not like our chances.

Curious to know if DJ grew up a big Hawkeye fan...?

He did not grow up a Hawkeye fan, from what I've read. I don't think he's got a dream school, he strikes me as more a fan of the game.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Pretty fierce as it is. Seven schools are squarely in the mix right now, and there's still a chance some other big programs get involved. Landing Carton would be a coup, which actually pisses me off a bit since he's right in Iowa's backyard - not that he should want to be a Hawk simply because he's from Bettendorf but that so many other schools think that they can waltz in and scoop up a 4/5-star player that Iowa is heavily targeting. No respect for Iowa. Part of that is we have had some bad seasons lately, which I'm not happy about, but a Big 10 program should be able to keep the best local players away from other schools in its own conference.
"...so many other schools think that they can waltz in and scoop up a 4/5-star player that Iowa is heavily targeting."

This makes no sense. All schools, including Iowa, "waltz" into other states and offer kids that the home state school is targeting.

I'm a little confused by your comments. So you think because Iowa or any other team recruits a local kid that other schools are going to back off out of respect? When did it work like that? It might be nice to literally, "build a wall around Iowa" as they say, but that really doesn't happen anywhere. This issue only seems to be more glaring for Iowa, I would guess, because high level players in basketball and football are less abundant than in many of the more populated areas.

I'm a little confused by your comments. So you think because Iowa or any other team recruits a local kid that other schools are going to back off out of respect? When did it work like that? It might be nice to literally, "build a wall around Iowa" as they say, but that really doesn't happen anywhere. This issue only seems to be more glaring for Iowa, I would guess, because high level players in basketball and football are less abundant than in many of the more populated areas.

Let's say there was a 5-star O-lineman in the Columbus area. You think we'd spend a lot of resources trying to recruit the kid? Or would we say, "It's gonna be hard to pluck that kid from the Buckeyes, let's focus our resources elsewhere." That's my general point. Or, pick any other Big Ten town.

Yeah, I know it was probably a dumb thing to say. Mostly just frustrated that we're having to fight tooth and nail to keep a kid home.

Let's say there was a 5-star O-lineman in the Columbus area. You think we'd spend a lot of resources trying to recruit the kid? Or would we say, "It's gonna be hard to pluck that kid from the Buckeyes, let's focus our resources elsewhere." That's my general point. Or, pick any other Big Ten town.

Yeah, I know it was probably a dumb thing to say. Mostly just frustrated that we're having to fight tooth and nail to keep a kid home.

We get what you’re trying to say, but Iowa is not OSU. That’s the factor you’re missing.

If there was a 5* out of Ames, Minneapolis, St Louis, etc.. would Iowa recruit them or just let the home town team have him?

Iowa basketball is nowhere close to OSU football, so the comparison is tough to make. It’s frustrating to spend a lot of time and effort on a home town kid, just to have the blue bloods come in late. If Iowa was a top 10-25 ranked team every year, it would cut down on a lot of others poaching our back yard. But I’d say at the end of the day, it ultimately comes down to the recruits themselves. What does DJ value in a school? What are his priorities and what are his goals of being a student athlete?

Reactions: SDHawkDoc

Here's the problem with your question. Look who you picked as an example. Would it be damn near impossible for Iowa to pull a 5 star out of Ohio if OSU wanted the kid. Sure, thats why their OSU and we're not. You can bemoan that fact or deal with as KF has learned to do, to the best of his ability. Now if you had said Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, or certainly Illinois, we'd have a fighting chance as history clearly shows us. Oh, and just for the sake of argument, there was an OL from Columbus that was just drafted in the beginning of round two by the Bears. He was a high 4 star and had offers from damn near everybody, including OSU, I believe, and the kid was a legacy for OSU, and he still chose Iowa, so it CAN happen..........

Hawks need to have a good season this coming year to land DJ & Foster (IMO)

Not 5*, but someone like James Daniels perhaps.

Not if he decides before the season starts which it sounds like he will.

Thats actually probably better for Iowa.
I hope he does commits before the start of the season, but you also know what I meant. After lasts years miserable season to follow it up with another bad one, Iowa would not look to anyone.

All of thee Carton threads remind me to that getting wrapped up in determining what a 16/17/18 year old kid is going to do ... takes too much mental energy ... Once they sign the dotted line then I will get excited. If he picks Iowa ... great ... If he doesn't pick Iowa ... great ... It's his career and his choice ...

UNC plucked H. Barnes out of Ames. Recruiting against blue-bloods, or even just traditional "powers", isn't easy unless the home school has more to offer than just being the home school.

UNC plucked H. Barnes out of Ames. Recruiting against blue-bloods, or even just traditional "powers", isn't easy unless the home school has more to offer than just being the home school.
Agreed. Barnes was not interested in playing for McDermott even though his dad was a former ISU star and his mom worked for the University. Fred might have kept him in Ames but Greg didn't have much of a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT