ADVERTISEMENT

Has Corona Changed Your View on Sports?

Has Corona Changed Your View on Sports?

• Total voters

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
When all of this started, I didn’t think I could make it that long without sports. I don’t post here as often as I use to but I still followed Iowa football pretty closely. These days it seems in the bigger picture, sports just aren’t as important as they once were to me. I mean sure, it was always just a game anyways and not that serious. But I am ok with the thought of no Iowa football to follow. I never thought I would say something like that.

Prior to all of this, I had lost interest in most sports. I’d rather workout, hike, work on my business or spend time with friends and family. How political sports has gotten has hurt my interest more than Covid. I don’t watch sports/entertainment to have politics forces onto me. I’ll probably never seriously watch the NFL again. College football is the last sport outside of UFC that I’ll make any effort to watch.

I have found I can take it or leave it. I have become indifferent about sports since this all started. Perhaps when it comes back I will get into it again. Do I miss it? Yes. Am I OK with there not being football? Also yes.

Reactions: AJBHawkeye
Before Covid I would watch an NBA game to help me fall asleep, now I won't even turn one on. Baseball is pretty much in the same catagory. It really isn't just limited to sports though, Covid has "forced" me to do other things now thankfully, like hike, read, woodworking, and things of that nature. I do miss college sports, but if cancelling the season is TRULY in the best interest for the players, I can most certainly live with that decision.

I had already pretty much phased out all sports except CFB and a little NFL pre-COVID. What I’ll miss the most about the Hawks this fall is not really the win/loss result, but the ritual of getting together with loved ones to catch up on the week, gorge myself on tailgating food, and drink some good beers on a beautiful fall Saturday. Not having that is really gonna suck.

ESPN ran a poll attempting to convince everyone that social justice logos on floors, fields, jerseys, are fine with 71% approval in their controlled polling.

BS - look to their ratings to find your answer. Most aren't giving a damn until things go back to normal. NBA & MLB complied with their group think, so they get to stay. NCAA? You won't find BLM anywhere in those stadiums/arenas.

I love sports, but the older I get the more bizarre fandom seems to me. I get having favorite teams and following their season.

I enjoy college more than pro, but I had a strange awakening a few years ago at a tailgate when I saw some 50-year olds wearing jerseys with the name and numbers of a 19 year old QB they did not personally know. That’s just really f’ing weird. You know nothing about this kid 30 years younger than you other than he runs fast and throws far and you’re worshiping him?? And all he’s really done is chosen your school to spend 2 years of indentured servitude prepping for the NFL?

I like watching Hawkeye football, too. But If you’re an adult and not being able to watch a bunch of 19-20 year olds run around on a field significantly impacts your life I feel bad for you. You’re obviously missing something.

Prior to all of this, I had lost interest in most sports. I’d rather workout, hike, work on my business or spend time with friends and family. How political sports has gotten has hurt my interest more than Covid. I don’t watch sports/entertainment to have politics forces onto me. I’ll probably never seriously watch the NFL again. College football is the last sport outside of UFC that I’ll make any effort to watch.
I agree with your post especially the political turn off. I would say I'm only interested in college football and basketball now. The new big ten leader, Kevin Warren, is causing me to have some doubts about those sports too!

Sports are just as important as ever to me. Definitely one of the top priorities in my life and hopefully always will be. Fills a huge competitive void in my life that can't be substituted. Can't imagine not being into sports, just such an odd thing.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
ESPN ran a poll attempting to convince everyone that social justice logos on floors, fields, jerseys, are fine with 71% approval in their controlled polling.

BS - look to their ratings to find your answer. Most aren't giving a damn until things go back to normal. NBA & MLB complied with their group think, so they get to stay. NCAA? You won't find BLM anywhere in those stadiums/arenas.
I read nba ratings are beyond awful. Lakers beat by generic reruns.

Despite people cheering for different teams, sports generally unite people and provide great conversation topics that are different from other divisive topics like politics. Sports are important to me, and the stretch we didn’t have them this spring/summer sucked

Go 5 years without sports (let's say all sports get shut down again, and that means all recreational and public sites as well), doing what you do for a living, and get back to me on this subject.

See if you couldn't give a damn about sports being gone........

NBA ratings have been down significantly actually since LeBron went to the Lakers. Since retstarting, the ratings for primetime games has been up 11% - any decline can be attributed to early games. The average NBA game is averaging more viewers than baseball and almost a million more viewers than hockey. If it's making a difference it's not a big one.

Reactions: littlez
To me it's do they really deserve all of this money, if they aren't going to play? They are getting paid millions upon millions more than the nurses dealing with the Virus daily. Yet they could stop playing, while the nurses couldn't stop. Puts a lot in perspective. Yes sports would have been nice to watch during all of this, but the longer without, the more it's not as big of a deal.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Seeing grown men/women melt down and throw tantrums about having to put on a mask or not being able to watch 18-22 yr olds play football this fall has really put things in perspective. So many pathetic losers right now, glad I've got plenty of other things in my life to fill in for not sitting on my ass watching TV this fall.

In general, I was sort of blah about losing professional sports. I've barely watched any MLB or NBA games. Maybe I'll watch more NBA once the playoffs begin, but probably not until later in the playoffs. I won't care about MLB until the playoffs, either (if they make it that far).

The NFL is another story. I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the NFL. If they aren't able to have a full season and playoffs it will suck more. But the sports I was most looking forward to this fall/winter/spring were Iowa football, basketball, and wrestling. It's a blow losing B10 football because I was excited about seeing what this offense could do. If it had been projected as a mediocre or down season for Iowa football, maybe I'd care less (Rutgers fans are probably happy there's no football, for example).

And with Luka returning this year, I was as excited about Iowa basketball as I've been in a generation. If they cancel, that'll be a serious disappointment. Same with wrestling as they still have a good shot at winning a NC. It was devastating to have the wrestling NCAAs canceled because Iowa was the clear favorite and Spencer Lee was on pace to become a four-time national champion which is extremely rare. If Spencer (and other seniors) miss their final shots at individual and team NCs it will be crushing to see.

But outside of Iowa sports and the NFL, I don't care much. I liked the MLS tournament because elimination tourneys are usually fun in any sport, but I don't care about MLS regular season games. Life goes on in other ways, but college sports being lost is a bigger deal to me than pro sports.

YJL4CZ5BSREALIT46XC2E3MEQA.jpg

You need to change your name ;)

I love sports, but the older I get the more bizarre fandom seems to me. I get having favorite teams and following their season.

I enjoy college more than pro, but I had a strange awakening a few years ago at a tailgate when I saw some 50-year olds wearing jerseys with the name and numbers of a 19 year old QB they did not personally know. That’s just really f’ing weird. You know nothing about this kid 30 years younger than you other than he runs fast and throws far and you’re worshiping him?? And all he’s really done is chosen your school to spend 2 years of indentured servitude prepping for the NFL?

I like watching Hawkeye football, too. But If you’re an adult and not being able to watch a bunch of 19-20 year olds run around on a field significantly impacts your life I feel bad for you. You’re obviously missing something.
I think you're reading a little too much into clothing lol

I'll agree with the end though

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Despite people cheering for different teams, sports generally unite people and provide great conversation topics that are different from other divisive topics like politics. Sports are important to me, and the stretch we didn’t have them this spring/summer sucked
If you made it through March madless then you'll be fine

NBA ratings have been down significantly actually since LeBron went to the Lakers. Since retstarting, the ratings for primetime games has been up 11% - any decline can be attributed to early games. The average NBA game is averaging more viewers than baseball and almost a million more viewers than hockey. If it's making a difference it's not a big one.
Not surprising....does NBA block fans from watching like mlb does?

I miss the social aspect of it. During spring and summer, we almost always go down to a Royals or Sporting game just for something to do to get away. Tailgating Hawk games with friends is some of my favorite times of the year. We always do an away football game each year.

Sports are a nice escape from reality so I’ve missed that. Definitely will miss the fun of people being brought together. The country really could use the morale boost right now.

But the game itself is still just a game.

Reactions: amahawk
Not Covid specifically but having politics invade everything and the whining in the past 4-5 months certainly have made me care less.

Agreed, and I believe this decision to cancel the season was primarily based off political agendas of the commissioner and the presidents. I encourage anyone to do some research on some of Commissioner Warren's primary initiatives that have taken place this year, and you may agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT