ADVERTISEMENT

Has Kirk ever flipped a 5 star commitment?

My statement was not a complaint but a question. While yes they strive to get five stars, Iowa flipping of committed recruits at 5 star is probably zero. Prime has done it now at two schools in less than 5 years.
He's the shiney object right now. Lets see if he wins, cleanly, and stays now that he's in what could best be described as a second tier conference, and not coaching at a school that had D2 or 3 facilities....

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So, do you think it's his coaching ability or perhaps the dazzle? He has a 26 and 5 record in 3 years but zero championships. According to many on this board, they would say he can't win the big one and would call for a change.
I think Prime could be a good coach and then again in the league he was in was not as tough as the Pac 10, Big 10 or SEC. That needs to be played out to see how Colorado does.

I know we always talk about diamonds in the rough vs 5 star kids - and it’s easy for that discussion to get old. But a very real and candid question - who truly is the better talent between Cooper DeJean (3 star kid with 5 star talent imo) vs the kid Deion just flipped?

I’d rather have Cooper, and I also think talent level (aka star power) is the same too. Kid just has unreal ball skills and game feel combined with size, speed, athleticism. We didn’t know it at the time Cooper signed tho - but letting it play out for a year and judging the players after a couple years in college is a better barometer.
This. Why should anyone care whether Kirk (or anyone on the staff) has flipped a five-star recruit? The important thing is to get good players to Iowa. It doesn't matter whether they're flipped or initial commitments, what other offers they had, or how highly they're ranked by recruiting services. More guys like Coop, please, regardless of rankings.

I think now would be a good time to mention how great a job Kirk does at producing MEN.
Deion clearly doesn't have what it takes to produce MEN.
Iowa wins the natty every year in the MAN making championship. The real championship.
A lot of former and current Hawks will vouch for your claim about Kirk, but what evidence supports your claim about Deion?

Last edited:
Reactions: pink shizzle
Has Saban ever flipped a 2 star?? Im not sure what the point is here, other then stating the obvious of what theoretically could almost never happen..

Exactly. It's almost like Iowa is an exceptionally difficult place to recruit 5 star talent and the fact they've done so much with so little since 1979 is remarkable.

I’m pretty sure Hayden was known to be a great recruiter and brought a lot of more sought after players to Iowa. It was one of his strengths.

Reactions: DewHawk
I just do not understand why these young folks do not become excited about Iowa with Ferentz's dynamic personality.

I’m pretty sure Hayden was known to be a great recruiter and brought a lot of more sought after players to Iowa. It was one of his strengths.
I really believe that if you went back through the players that both recruited over 20 years, you would find that statement to be false. If Fry really brought "A LOT MORE sought after players to Iowa" then he sure didn't do much to develop them, because his record sure isn't better then Kirks.

Reactions: longliveCS40
How would you be able to prove that Hayden "brought a lot of more sought after players?" There just isn't the same recruiting data - flawed though it may be - as we have today. In 20 seasons, we know that Hayden brought in the highly touted Willie Guy, who made a modest contribution on the field. Dan McGwire and home-grown Tavian Banks were probably the next biggest names, and Larry Station was Hayden's first big recruiting coup (although it's not clear how many other schools battled Nebraska for Larry's services - you'd have to ask him).

Hayden did well recruiting, but you're claiming far more than you can prove.

Last edited:
How would you be able to prove that Hayden "brought a lot of more sought after players?" There just isn't the same recruiting data - flawed though it may be - as we have today. In 20 seasons, we know that Hayden brought in the highly touted Willie Guy, who made a modest contribution on the field. Dan McGwire and home-grown Tavian Banks were probably the next biggest names, and Larry Station was Hayden's first big recruiting coup (although it's not clear how many other schools battled Nebraska for Larry's services - you'd have to ask him).

Hayden did well recruiting, but you're claiming far more than you can prove.
Hayden brought in some top-level recruits. Kirk has brought in some top-level recruits. Hayden found diamonds in the rough like Chuck Long and Merton Hanks. Kirk found diamonds in the rough like Ricky Stanzi and Bob Sanders.

I know this for a fact: the guys claiming Hayden was God, and KF doesn't come close to matching him, were obviously not around during the JHF years

There's 30-35 5 stars each class and the top 4 teams sign over half of those (17/32 this year). Manage your expectations or go away
And they are mostly from the south and southeast US with California in the mix as well. Not like we have 10 of them here in Iowa every year.

This might be a better question: Out of all the 5-star recruits who have "flipped" in the past 15 years or so, how many have flipped to a non-blueblood school?

Reactions: Bishop1971
ADVERTISEMENT