ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Republican Party Become the Party of the Working Man?

Saw an interview with David Brooks from last fall and he recounted his experience at a conservative convention where a lot of Rs were saying that the GOP was becoming the party of the working man, while the Dems were now the corporate party.

How much truth to that? And if true, is it because the Rs really are on the side of the working man or more a matter that the Dems have abandoned that traditional role?
Lol.

This is easy, yes the Republicans are the party of the working class. Compare their values against those of elitists like Pelosi, Zuckerberg. Do you think those two care about the price of gas, or food? No, they are supporting the climate alarmist's agenda which is a detriment to all working men and women.
You have been totally duped.

trump loves the working man, eh? He treats them like shit now and has always. He’s been sued dozens of times for his awful predatory business practices, including by workers he stiffed on salary for months. He’s a predator and the GOP is a party of predators.

here is one example. And they were UNDOCUMENTED. (He would call them “illegals”)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm just gonna leave this here...

That is a great song and Rush credits WMMS in Cleveland, the radio station of working men in the capital of rock ‘n’ roll, as giving them their start because they kept playing the song even before Rush had a record deal, and clevelanders would call in asking them to play “the new Zepplin song”, and soon enough Rush came to town to play their first concert in the states, and the rest is history.

You have been totally duped.

trump loves the working man, eh? He treats them like shit now and has always. He’s been sued dozens of times for his awful predatory business practices, including by workers he stiffed on salary for months. He’s a predator and the GOP is a party of predators.

here is one example. And they were UNDOCUMENTED. (He would call them “illegals”)

Who mentioned Trump dumbass? AND "undocumented" are illegal aliens as spelled out in the US Code.

As a “working man” in a trade union, I can see more people voting R in our union. Most people I work with, even those that voted for Biden, don’t approve of him at the moment.

There’s a lot of truth to @FAUlty Gator’s post. Most guys don’t give two shits about most of those things. College loan forgiveness? A guy that works outside in the extreme heat and cold with steel toe boots on 5-6 days a week isn’t too keen on the idea of having their taxes being used to pay off loans for white collar workers that CHOOSE to go to college.

Unfortunately, the R’s, especially at a state level in Iowa, have proven themselves over and over to be anti labor and anti union.

A lot of people are like me, they vote D purely because it’s more favorable to our jobs, not because we agree or share the mentality of the left.

If there was a true moderate from either party that was pro union and pro labor, I think they’d clean up. Unfortunately both parties seem to be run by the extremists now.

As a “working man” in a trade union, I can see more people voting R in our union. Most people I work with, even those that voted for Biden, don’t approve of him at the moment.

There’s a lot of truth to @FAUlty Gator’s post. Most guys don’t give two shits about most of those things. College loan forgiveness? A guy that works outside in the extreme heat and cold with steel toe boots on 5-6 days a week isn’t too keen on the idea of having their taxes being used to pay off loans for white collar workers that CHOOSE to go to college.

Unfortunately, the R’s, especially at a state level in Iowa, have proven themselves over and over to be anti labor and anti union.

A lot of people are like me, they vote D purely because it’s more favorable to our jobs, not because we agree or share the mentality of the left.

If there was a true moderate from either party that was pro union and pro labor, I think they’d clean up. Unfortunately both parties seem to be run by the extremists now.

Unions are dying. There's no point in having them today. Government employment regulations have rendered them barely relevant.

I agree with most of this. But I would argue that it is dems who are anti-labor, not so much in word, but in policy. Supporting unrestricted and illegal immigration drives wages down for workers. Just look at roofers for example; 20 years ago almost all were American, now we have roofing crews made up of a few Americans, but mostly illegals. Inflation and being anti-fossil fuel makes it hard for any worker to pay for food and gas. I can't understand how labor union bosses who no longer represent their own people continue to support democrats.

You can see it all through this thread, people say "working man" and you know it's code for a certain type of white man, when the vast majority percentage of what can be considered working class these days are minorities and women.

Part of the general bullshit of our society right now, Trump supporters are mostly well-to-do white assholes, with middle-class white male assholes as another significant percentage of the coalition, a minority of the Trump coalition are white "working class" people who are also a minority of "working class" people.

You can see it all through this thread, people say "working man" and you know it's code for a certain type of white man, when the vast majority percentage of what can be considered working class these days are minorities and women.

Part of the general bullshit of our society right now, Trump supporters are mostly well-to-do white assholes, with middle-class white male assholes as another significant percentage of the coalition, a minority of the Trump coalition are white "working class" people who are also a minority of "working class" people.
Race baiter!!!! White knight!!!! Virtue signaler!!!

Another Marxist race warrior filled with white guilt. Congrats!

You expect the term "working man" to mean women?

Word salad.

the-big-lebowski-dude.gif

Add to that, even "good" Democrats talk mainly about "working families" and the middle class. Nobody talks about the poor. It's like we did away with poverty when nobody was looking.

Race baiter!!!! White knight!!!! Virtue signaler!!!
And there we have, plain for all to see, the difference between left and right in America today.

Pick your side.

Truth. ^^ Time for a real 3rd party IMO.

Reactions: globalhawk
That is a great song and Rush credits WMMS in Cleveland, the radio station of working men in the capital of rock ‘n’ roll, as giving them their start because they kept playing the song even before Rush had a record deal, and clevelanders would call in asking them to play “the new Zepplin song”, and soon enough Rush came to town to play their first concert in the states, and the rest is history.
The great Alan Freed came from Cleveland. And that’s about it. Memphis is the capital of rock n roll.

But I’m with you on topic. Rs total corporate, dems mostly. Few people ‘starve the beast’ like me.

Nah. I already am accomplished. I was just correct in typing that out.

Do you and the rest really need it spelled out to you that the reason the working class is leaving the Dems is 100% due to their “all politics are identity politics” platform? You think a Union welder sees 100,000 illegals crossing the border and says to himself, “Awwww…I hope they aren’t keeping them in cages!?!?”

I’m also sure he loves being called a bigot because he thinks men have penises.

Do you think that guy is pumping $160 of gas into his truck thinking, “Man, I’m so happy that 18 months later we are going to have hearings on the Capitol riots. Boy, my party really focuses on the things I care about!”

The answer to the OP isn’t some sort of mystery. It’s just that Dems refuse to accept the answer due to their refusal to leave their identity politics behind.

If you’re not gonna do anything to make the working class’s life better, you probably shouldn’t insult them the entire time and still expect them to vote your way. How often do you think straight, white Christians can hear that “straight white Christians” are to blame for everything bad in America, before they start to take it personally?

Why? What reason do you think they’re leaving the Dems? Let me guess…FoxNews.
LOL. The people pushing the culture war bullshit you're pushing here are Republicans, not Democrats. One of the biggest problems with the people currently running the Democratic party and their ability to attract working class people is that they they're not even on the field when it comes to the Culture War. They're still trying to attract imaginary swing voters from 1995.

And If you put together 10 people that represented a broad cross-section of what could be defined as the working class in 2022 what percentage would a union welder or hell all the building trades together represent in that broad cross-section of the working class, maybe one person? If that?

Look at West Virginia, what like 2% or less of jobs there are the traditional stereotypical coal miner and by far the largest percentage of jobs are in health care?

Most people in the current working class are service workers, they're CNA's and janitors and clerks at Casey's or Walmart. Democrats need to be wooing that demographic far more than tiny groups of stereotypical 1950's era white people.

Last edited:
The great Alan Freed came from Cleveland. And that’s about it. Memphis is the capital of rock n roll.

But I’m with you on topic. Rs total corporate, dems mostly. Few people ‘starve the beast’ like me.
Lots of rock ‘n’ roll routes in Detroit and Chicago and Memphis, but very first rock ‘n’ roll concert, the person and the radio station that coined the term rock ‘n’ roll, and the place where so many artists from the United States and abroad broken into the big time was in Cleveland. The two founding members of The Cars met in high school in Bay Village, And then some years later moved to LA and the band became identified with another city. But it’s not just who came from the city or what music was recorded there, but how much the music was steeped in the culture itself, the fans.

Also In many ways Cleveland was to punk what Seattle was to grunge, another thing that most people don’t know.

But this thread is about the workingman, and for sure in the 70s, Cleveland was all about the workingman. One reason why Rush first hit it big there and then became an international sensation.

read some history and I promise you, there’s a lot to be learned.

here is what a British paper has to say about punk rock and Cleveland.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
If Tim Scott and Ilhan Omar walked into a Philly union bar, who do you think would get the better reception? The one who wants them to keep more of their money or the one that wants them to make the bar’s bathroom situation more inclusive?
1/10

Nah. I already am accomplished. I was just correct in typing that out.

Do you and the rest really need it spelled out to you that the reason the working class is leaving the Dems is 100% due to their “all politics are identity politics” platform? You think a Union welder sees 100,000 illegals crossing the border and says to himself, “Awwww…I hope they aren’t keeping them in cages!?!?”

I’m also sure he loves being called a bigot because he thinks men have penises.

Do you think that guy is pumping $160 of gas into his truck thinking, “Man, I’m so happy that 18 months later we are going to have hearings on the Capitol riots. Boy, my party really focuses on the things I care about!”

The answer to the OP isn’t some sort of mystery. It’s just that Dems refuse to accept the answer due to their refusal to leave their identity politics behind.

If you’re not gonna do anything to make the working class’s life better, you probably shouldn’t insult them the entire time and still expect them to vote your way. How often do you think straight, white Christians can hear that “straight white Christians” are to blame for everything bad in America, before they start to take it personally?

Why? What reason do you think they’re leaving the Dems? Let me guess…FoxNews.
You’re the effing worst. Like Ted Cruz crappy.

Lots of rock ‘n’ roll routes in Detroit and Chicago and Memphis, but very first rock ‘n’ roll concert, the person and the radio station that coined the term rock ‘n’ roll, and the place where so many artists from the United States and abroad broken into the big time was in Cleveland. The two founding members of The Cars met in high school in Bay Village, And then some years later moved to LA and the band became identified with another city. But it’s not just who came from the city or what music was recorded there, but how much the music was steeped in the culture itself, the fans.

Also In many ways Cleveland was to punk what Seattle was to grunge, another thing that most people don’t know.

But this thread is about the workingman, and for sure in the 70s, Cleveland was all about the workingman. One reason why Rush first hit it big there and then became an international sensation.

read some history and I promise you, there’s a lot to be learned.

here is what a British paper has to say about punk rock and Cleveland.

Alan Freed did not coin the term rock n roll though he was essential in popularizing the music. Indeed I have done a lot of reading on the subject but don’t want to lead this thread any further off track.

Cleveland is a great blue collar working town. Here is Freed, virtually alone championing rock n roll in 1953, really before the sound had been established.

It may be time to award the winner of the Jeb Bush award for missing the big picture. In 2015, Jeb Bush was the GOP Establishment favorite to win the nomination but he lost badly. Why? He missed the big picture.

The working class has been devasted by China entering the WTO in 2001. 10,000,000 manufacturing jobs have been lost in this country. Trump talked about China and Jeb Bush did not. None of you mentioned trade.

I can't stand Trump but I agree with him raising tariffs on China. China does not practice free trade but they do practice genocide and are an existential threat to the US.

The problem is the unskilled worker in the US is not competitive with most of the world. We can either protect them with tariffs or increase savings but it we do neither, they will get crushed. The Dems have an attitude towards the working class of "let them eat cake". Most of the GOP could really care less about them but they want more tax cuts which hurts savings.

Neither party really cares about the working class so they are unemployed and do meth.

I want to preface this by saying, I don't want to imply the Dems are the "Working man's party" because they aren't.

To the point, the GOP being the working man's party is laughable. If they were for taxing the s*** out of the rich, national health care, putting limits on profits by energy producers, pushing for higher minimum wage, cutting low/middle class taxes plus more things than I will list or even think of then they might be.

As it stands now, they are about as far from being the working man's party as one can be.
But their message of anti-this anti-that, hate and scapegoating is just so good.

Here in Ottumwa which at one time was a solid union town-

In Wapello County, IA 37.2% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 60.9% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 1.9% voted Independent.

In the last Presidential election, Wapello county remained overwhelmingly Republican, 60.9% to 37.2%.
Wapello county voted Republican in the two most recent Presidential elections, after voting Democratic in the previous four,

Looking at the stats I would guess the biggest reason
10.5% claim Hispanic Ethnicity which has probably doubled over the time frame listed above

Well, it’s pretty clear why the socioeconomic demographics in Ottumwa have shifted away from unions.

I agree with most of this. But I would argue that it is dems who are anti-labor, not so much in word, but in policy. Supporting unrestricted and illegal immigration drives wages down for workers. Just look at roofers for example; 20 years ago almost all were American, now we have roofing crews made up of a few Americans, but mostly illegals. Inflation and being anti-fossil fuel makes it hard for any worker to pay for food and gas. I can't understand how labor union bosses who no longer represent their own people continue to support democrats.
Democrats don’t support unrestricted and illegal immigration.

No, the point is that you can pick any two polarizing figures to make your point.

Trump grabbed a lot of "working class" with his cult of personality. The question moving forward is can the GOP retain any of those votes with their platform of "owning the libs" and tax cuts to the wealthy.
While the wealthy may have paid less in taxes due to Trump tax cuts, so did working class families.

I don't think either party is the "working mans" party, but if you know very many working class/blue collar people, you know their values are much more aligned to the Rs right now. When they see massive corporations and the dems in lockstep with the left, they can't identify with that.

Pride month, and all the corporate virtue signaling from the left/dems isn't going to help this perception in the short term. Actually, this is probably the worst month to ask this question.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Saw an interview with David Brooks from last fall and he recounted his experience at a conservative convention where a lot of Rs were saying that the GOP was becoming the party of the working man, while the Dems were now the corporate party.

How much truth to that? And if true, is it because the Rs really are on the side of the working man or more a matter that the Dems have abandoned that traditional role?

Well DUH!!!

By taking peeks at HS children's pee-pee's and vajajay's!!!

Maybe we can sign up some MAGA sex-offenders for this job
#WellQualified

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT