ADVERTISEMENT

Has there been any crazier year in your life than 2020?

The two-year period of 2004 and 2005 where we got hit by three hurricanes (Francis, Jeanne and Wilma) was pretty crazy, too.

• Angry
Reactions: Roy-munson
‘92. Living in Lima. Sendero Luminoso started its attack on Lima. We had bombing around the city every night. Water and electricity cut off. Went to school with armed guards and a chase car. Sendero tossed two grenades over the wall at school. They were duds. We were practicing bomb drills at school. Dad was fixin to send me back to the states after a car bomb cracked our windows. Then they caught Guzman and his officers. The remains of Sendero fled to the hills and Peru changed overnight. Started getting imports, felt safe. It’s hard to explain but the dark and light change in that year was insane.

I'm going with 1964. The year of my birth.

I lost my soul when I fell to earth
My planets called me to the void of my birth
The time has come for me to kill this game
Now open wide and say my name

We're the same age. Jacksonville got hit by a hurricane that year. As the eastern armpit of Florida, that's rare.

It was a rough year until the $61,000 horse race last month. Settled some things down for me. 2013 and getting t-boned in the back of a taxi by a Hummer and the three surgeries and kidney cancer that followed that year was pretty rough.

I've had far more difficult years than this from a personal standpoint.

1982 , I destroyed my knee in a motorcycle accident. Had to learn how to walk again.

2008, my cabin's pavilion roof was destroyed over the winter because of total snow from the winter. I fixed it myself over the course of 6 months. It was backbreaking, trapeze-like work (all done on ladders) and it took me another 6 months to recover physically from the effort. Then, the flood in CR caused a whole lot of work issues where it was ridiculously stressful while the pavilion work was being done. It was just a long ass, hard year where I got zero rest.

2015, I was working 60-80 hours a week training my replacements before I got laid off - all the while dealing with a recently passed father and a soon to pass mother. The stress was so much that when it was all over I damn near dropped dead from obscenely high blood pressure and internal organs issues...then caught cancer after that. It was a year full of huge, life changing events that I am still dealing with yet today.

But from an "external forces to deal with"...yeah, 2020 is right up there. I've actually been extremely fortunate all things considered. A lot of people in Cedar Rapids have had it much worse than I have.

Pandemic, hurricanes, wildfires, protests, violence, political bitterness, shutdown of many societal activities, cancellation of sports ...

This year is over the top crazy. Is there any year in your life that has been crazier?
If you're old enough to say yes, you're probably not using the internet :)

Definitely up there for me.

2008 sucked - was in a tornado while I was on summer break in m hometown from my freshman year at Iowa which, weeks after the tornado, had a crap ton of buildings flood and go out of operation for my entire sophomore year after which:
2009 - paranoid schizophrenic gets out of hospital and kills my high school football coach like a month after I returned home from my sophomore year.

By far the worst year since that stretch and I never had anything remotely that bad before that.

I can't complain too loudly; looking like I'll make a little over 2X my average year and next year will be the same with a lot of comp yet to be paid. Personal life isn't much to brag about but after all the Covid divorces go through things will pick back up. 😉

It can't ever get much worse than the Divorce year of 2012. Once that gets behind you life is mostly all downhill.

Last edited:
No. Craziest year ever. I can only hope that it is the craziest year of my life. I'm not talking personal life. Just that we as State, Country, and World are absolutely in a shit storm.

Bring on 2021!

c4485412c01dac31ebb26dbfa7f94609.gif

Reactions: TheCainer
Being a kid who understood what was happening in 1968, the killings of MLK and RFK highlighted the 1968 craziness. Vietnam was raging, race issues were huge,...
1969 offered little respite.
1970 had the Kent State massacre, the loss of much of both Marshall and Wichita State football teams to shitty charter airplanes, Vietnam was raging, race issues were huge,...
Yeah 2020 sucks, but some people seem to want more of it.

1989 was pretty crazy.... got married, joined the Coast Guard, and my first son was born.
I've had my moments, days in the sun
Moments I was second to none
Moments when I knew I did what I thought I couldn't do
Like that plane ride coming home from the war
That summer my son was born
And memories like a coat so warm
A cold wind can't get through
Lookin' at me now, you might not know it
But I've had my moments

The one thing this thread has made me realize...many of the regular posters on here are old as fuq.

Reactions: SalAunese
The one thing this thread has made me realize...many of the regular posters on here are old as fuq.
If old as fuq people put 2020 in the top few worst years of their life, then it has to at least be considered as one of the worst... in our lifetimes.

It is the craziest for me. A lot of bad things have happened. It can be redeemed if Biden wins and/or the Twins win the WorldSeries. Other positives: My parents finally retired and moved to Okoboji. That was good news. And we rescued a dog. Otherwise it has sucked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT