ADVERTISEMENT

Have any of you been selling on eBay lately?

ottumwan in tx

HR King
Oct 26, 2002
I have been doing it off and on since like 1998. I had stuff up and online when the towers fell in 2001. My rating is close to 1000 but it's mostly buying related. After 9-11 I've been kind of out of the selling game. Well, it's time to sell. I've been hearing eBay is a lot different now. The fees are higher, well, they charge a commission on total cost, shipping and all. { from what I hear} I've also heard they can hammer you on returns and negative feedback pretty good lately. I need to research it. any good sites or forums outside of eBay? If you go to their site, of course you get flowery stories of people helping out the poor kids in Nicaragua who make baskets or something.

How much did you get when you sold off your good judgement?
ha ha. that was funny. look who is winning and who is losing. then come back and speak to me about good judgement. who is talking about "rocket man" in front of the {joke} UN right now? back to serious real life.... the real life of selling 80's metal albums and 70's and 60's hot wheels and 80's and 70's bmx bikes. on eBAy. from what I've been told the albums may pose a problem because every little scratch and crackle is cause for return. I need to put down in the description about the "not perfect" nature of the item I am sure about that.

What are some of the metal albums that you have?
there are like 700 pop rock metal. most of the metal { I will keep ha ha } is probably like msg and dio and maiden
What are some of the metal albums that you have?

Michael schenker, ufo, budgie, motley crue, a lot of dio and malmsteen, stuff like this. early 80's late 70's. most of the stuff I will sell will be more like pop and rock and hair bands and such. I will keep a lot of metal. probably need to go through that stuff. ha ha

The fees suck. I think it's 10% before PayPal takes its cut. I sell a few things each month. I've probably sold over 500 items and have only had 2 or 3 returns. I had one recently on an item that I offered free shipping. When the return was requested, I had to pay for return shipping also. There's an advantage for listing the item with a lower sale price and higher shipping because you only have to refund the sale price. It doesn't happen enough to matter though and free shipping attracts more buyers.

Yes, ebay has changed a lot. You're right...it's less seller friendly and more expensive.

The fees suck. I think it's 10% before PayPal takes its cut. I sell a few things each month. I've probably sold over 500 items and have only had 2 or 3 returns. I had one recently on an item that I offered free shipping. When the return was requested, I had to pay for return shipping also. There's an advantage for listing the item with a lower sale price and higher shipping because you only have to refund the sale price. It doesn't happen enough to matter though and free shipping attracts more buyers.
this is what I'm hoping, that only a few freaks here and there don't spoil it for everyone

Yes, ebay has changed a lot. You're right...it's less seller friendly and more expensive.
this is what I'm hearing. I go to flea markets and antique sales and record shows and toy shows and collectibles, comic con. of course the folks at these shows are going to put down the webs and ebay cause they sell the old school way across a table at shows. however, some people do both. some do only ebay. some do only flea markets. it just depends on their attitude I think.

I remember using eBay 10-15 years and there were great deals.

Now that everybody has a home business it's mostly junk.

The only thing I buy now are EOM truck parts and cheap power cords.

I remember using eBay 10-15 years and there were great deals.

Now that everybody has a home business it's mostly junk.

The only thing I buy now are EOM truck parts and cheap power cords.
yeah, well, I'm a junker. classic junk. unless you are talking about china cheap plastic junk. on that we can agree. been seeing a lot of that.

Yeah, I had not sold anything on Ebay for awhile and made the mistake of selling an expensive audio component there which cost me plenty. I plead senility.

This free audio site does have a place for software ads.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/

Reactions: janny1953
i sell baseball cards from time to time. used to be best to sell myself, now i consign through a seller that gets lower fees. even after paying consignment fees its cheaper.

I haven't used eBay for a long time. I'm pretty comfortable with Amazon so I almost always use them. I check eBay for local vehicles when I'm in the market.

I stopped selling on Ebay about three years ago. I had sold just over 1,000 items. All bought for resale. I did alright. Made decent fun money and it gave me an excuse to keep looking for more stuff.

i sell baseball cards from time to time. used to be best to sell myself, now i consign through a seller that gets lower fees. even after paying consignment fees its cheaper.
see, I used to have a few guys here in Austin ready to list for me but I have lost track of them

I thought it was only weirdos in trailers sitting on 100 acres in rural Nevada who sold on eBay. I never bought from eBay back in the day. Recently, however, with the high price of razor blades and refrigerator water filters, I ventured into the land of rural Nevada trailer people and bought both of those at VERY good prices. WAY better than anything on Amazon. So far they seem like the real thing. I'll definitely be back for those items unless I catch some desert disease from the sellers.

I thought it was only weirdos in trailers sitting on 100 acres in rural Nevada who sold on eBay. I never bought from eBay back in the day. Recently, however, with the high price of razor blades and refrigerator water filters, I ventured into the land of rural Nevada trailer people and bought both of those at VERY good prices. WAY better than anything on Amazon. So far they seem like the real thing. I'll definitely be back for those items unless I catch some desert disease from the sellers.
that's what I am but a weirdo in TX !!

Reactions: NoleATL
Razor blade prices getting to high for you??? Do I have a product for you!!! Revolt shaving solution..

Reactions: Chuck C
I sold off my baseball card collection about 10-15 years ago. With the proceeds I paid off our house.

Reactions: dgordo and NoleATL
Yes. I had nice complete sets back to 1954. I realized I had over $100k sitting in my closet.

Just make sure you do not overgrade the cards. Shipping is cheap for singles and small lots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT