ADVERTISEMENT

Have the Hawkeyes ever had Men's Player of the Year?

Nope. According to Wiki, the Naismith College Player of the Year started in 1969:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith_College_Player_of_the_Year#Men

Interesting stat: Even with all the ones-and-dones over the past two decades, only three freshman have ever won the award. It's still mostly juniors and seniors who win it.
I'm sure like most of these awards, you have to be noticed the previous year to be in the running as a new season starts. I would imagine the exceptions are guys like Kevin Durant, who just showed up, and was the best player in college as a true freshman. A lot of those guys don't put up huge numbers, but their drafted on their potencial, and the league can get them while they have low miles on the tires. I think thats one thing that really hurt Utoff, after he had to sit out two years before playing, he had to be at least 24 going into the draft, which is OLD, by the leagues standards, for a rookie.....

Reactions: Eternal Return
Woolridge. When MN last won the B1G, their star was MVP. MN had to vacate their wins and awards due to recruiting scandal. Andre was runner-up.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
We have three Chicago Tribune silver basketball winners, which used to go to who they deemed the Big Ten MVP. Otherwise that's it. No official Big Ten POY.

Murray Weir was a consensus First Team All-American. There were two unanimous first teamers that year. Murray was on the Third Team for one list for some reason even though he led the nation in scoring. So he likely wouldn't have won a national POY award if it existed.

Chuck Darling was a unanimous First Team All-American in 1952. Only one other player was unanimous. So he may have won national POY it if it existed.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
We have three Chicago Tribune silver basketball winners, which used to go to who they deemed the Big Ten MVP. Otherwise that's it. No official Big Ten POY.

Murray Weir was a consensus First Team All-American. There were two unanimous first teamers that year. Murray was on the Third Team for one list for some reason even though he led the nation in scoring. So he likely wouldn't have won a national POY award if it existed.

Chuck Darling was a unanimous First Team All-American in 1952. Only one other player was unanimous. So he may have won national POY it if it existed.
Maybe if WEEZY stays two more seasons, he can be the 2nd consensus AA Hawk from Muscatine! I've heard lots of stories about Weir as a young player. My late father in law played with him in high school.....

Connie Hawkins? Don't think so.

Johnny Johnson ? Maybe

Ronnie Lester? Played at same time as Bird, Magic

Nick Baer? Oh wait, that was just my own poll. :)
Connie Hawkins never played varsity basketball at Iowa. He played his freshmen year and was considered the number one recruit in the nation.
But was forced out by NCAA so never was able to play for Iowa as a varsity player, I think...

ADVERTISEMENT