ADVERTISEMENT

Having the talk with my 7 year old

ihhawk

HB Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
My son's 1st grade class is a melting pot of kids. His closest friends are lil black kids. At what point do I need to have the talk with him. That he is not allowed to say the N word that his friends will be saying. (It actually happens already). How do I make him understand not to use it when his friends all will in a way that they do not feel is wrong?

Good for you for having the talk as many fathers fail to talk with their children. Mine are 2 years and 3 months old so when you know the proper age let me know..
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We were at his friends birthday party a couple months ago and his friend said it a couple times. The other white parents looked horrified. The parents said it though.

We asked his teacher and she said that the kids say it in class and that she has to make sure to tell them not to say it.

Getting him not to say Fu&k has been hard enough. He laughs when we tell him not to say it. Im horrified that he will say the N word in front of other parents because I will be viewed as a racist

Make sure to explain to him that it isnt fair that white people cant say it and it just another example of the injustices he will face growing up white in America.

Is there an "a" or "er" at the end of it?

I would suggest introducing him to Eminem. He never uses the word and is the blackest white guy I know of.

Originally posted by BABiscuit:
Make sure to explain to him that it isnt fair that white people cant say it and it just another example of the injustices he will face growing up white in America.
Did someone on this board actually claim that its an injustice against white people? I honestly don't know I've been away from this board for a while

Or is this just another one of those stupid hyperbole things people makeup when they are faced with trying to support an assinine argument?

Originally posted by Guido Sarducci:

Did someone on this board actually claim that its an injustice against white people? I honestly don't know I've been away from this board for a while

Or is this just another one of those stupid hyperbole things people makeup when they are faced with trying to support an assinine argument?
Probably more of the latter, except I am not sure what argument you think I am supporting. There were some pretty butt hurt persons across the internet at the double standard of Harrison calling Frank the N-word and it not being as big of deal as it would have been if Frank had said it. So maybe an argument could be made for the former, also.

I dont think that white people want to use the word. I think that some of us are mature enough to call a spade a spade and realize the whole topic is mindblowing in 2015.

I do however have a real concern as it comes to my son and how he may be perceived by other parents or even his school. I cant control what he hears at school but at least if he drops an F bomb someone people will understand. If he drops the n word at Target, everyone will think that I am a racist and that I dont like black people. Kids are not mature enough to understand the dynamics of the use of the word.

Originally posted by Guido Sarducci:

Read the two page Kaminky thread in the lounge.

Originally posted by montross:
I dont think that white people want to use the word. I think that some of us are mature enough to call a spade a spade and realize the whole topic is mindblowing in 2015.

roll.r191677.gif

I have not heard that expression in a coon's age.

Originally posted by linkshero:

roll.r191677.gif

Jack%20Sparrow%20remember%20run.gif

You might want to warn him about this word as well.

I hope that was intentional.

"Spade a spade" was innocent in it's beginning. Thanks media and thanks Obama!

What happens when a perfectly innocuous phrase takes on a more sinister meaning over time?

Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough." Exactly who was the first author of "to call a trough a trough" is lost to history. Some attribute it to Aristophanes, while others attribute it to the playwright Menander. The Greek historian Plutarch (who died in A.D. 120) used it in Moralia. The blogger Matt Colvin, who has a Ph.D. in Greek literature, recently pointed out that the original Greek expression was very likely vulgar in nature and that the "figs" and "troughs" in question were double entendres.

Erasmus, the renowned humanist and classical scholar, translated the phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough" from Greek to Latin. And in so doing he dramatically changed the phrase to "call a spade a spade." (This may have been an incorrect translation but seems more likely to have been a creative interpretation and a deliberate choice.) "Spade" stuck because of Erasmus' considerable influence in European intellectual circles, writes the University of Vermont's Wolfgang Mieder in his 2002 case study Call a Spade a Spade: From Classical Phrase to Racial Slur.

"To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others.

To be clear, the "spade" in the Erasmus translation has nothing to do with a deck of cards, but rather the gardening tool. In fact, one form of the expression that emerged later was "to call a spade a bloody shovel." The early usages of the word "spade" did not refer to either race or skin color.

One of the more famous mentions of the phrase came in Oscar Wilde's 1895 play The Importance of Being Earnest:

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Calling a spade a spade is a saying that was very popular long before it became a racial slur. In fact, almost everyone I know that uses the phrase has no idea it can also be used as a slur. I'm only 25 and I know this. C'mon clone you know better than to troll like that

Originally posted by CarolinaHawkeye:
This is another interesting example of the original word and phrase starting out fairly innocuous and becoming racially insensitive.

The origins actually go back to Plutarch, couple hundred years or so before Christ was born. It eventually became fairly common in 16th century Europe and literally meant 'call something by its real name.'

It wasn't until 20th century America where it got turned into a racial slur when the word 'spade' was used to describe something 'black as the ace of spades.'

However, I prefer this Ace of Spades.

To the point of the OP, Idk what to tell you about your kid. My parents smacked the shit out of me if I ever dropped the F bomb when I was a kid so I knew it was bad and not to say it. Maybe you should try that. The n**ga word wasn't popular when I was a kid so we had no urge to say it. I will say the Harrison-kaminsky situation would be aaaaaall over national television if the roles were reversed. Proof just how politically correct white people have to be with their verbal usage while Africans seem to get a pass to drop whatever n bombs they want without repercussion on national television and in general.

Originally posted by dibohawk7:

Calling a spade a spade is a saying that was very popular long before it became a racial slur. In fact, almost everyone I know that uses the phrase has no idea it can also be used as a slur. I'm only 25 and I know this. C'mon clone you know better than to troll like that

What is the racial slur in calling a spade a spade? I guess I am a little slow...

Originally posted by whatsup12579er:
Originally posted by dibohawk7:

What is the racial slur in calling a spade a spade? I guess I am a little slow...
The phrase itself isn't necessarily considered a racial slur. However, the individual word "spade" became a synonym for the word "black" in the early 20th century.

Your 7 year old is dropping the f bomb and laughing at you when you get upset. You have bigger parental issues than talking to him about using the n word. Good luck.

i would tell your son to get new friends that don't use words like that. i would also not let him laugh at me if he used F#(%

Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn:
Your 7 year old is dropping the f bomb and laughing at you when you get upset. You have bigger parental issues than talking to him about using the n word. Good luck.
No kidding. Montross, you need to make this issue priority number one. There would be a seismic shift centered from our house if any of my kids did that.

Fing melting pot crap. Move to a place that is still white and your problems solved at least for now. Explain to him that he is the last generation that will be free as a white. Try to tell him his children will be openly attacked for the color of their skin in this country as it succumbs to the browning of our nation.

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:
"Spade a spade" was innocent in it's beginning. Thanks media and thanks Obama!

What happens when a perfectly innocuous phrase takes on a more sinister meaning over time?

Case in point, the expression "to call a spade a spade." For almost half a millennium, the phrase has served as a demand to "tell it like it is." It is only in the past century that the phrase began to acquire a negative, racial overtone.

Historians trace the origins of the expression to the Greek phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough." Exactly who was the first author of "to call a trough a trough" is lost to history. Some attribute it to Aristophanes, while others attribute it to the playwright Menander. The Greek historian Plutarch (who died in A.D. 120) used it in Moralia. The blogger Matt Colvin, who has a Ph.D. in Greek literature, recently pointed out that the original Greek expression was very likely vulgar in nature and that the "figs" and "troughs" in question were double entendres.

Erasmus, the renowned humanist and classical scholar, translated the phrase "to call a fig a fig and a trough a trough" from Greek to Latin. And in so doing he dramatically changed the phrase to "call a spade a spade." (This may have been an incorrect translation but seems more likely to have been a creative interpretation and a deliberate choice.) "Spade" stuck because of Erasmus' considerable influence in European intellectual circles, writes the University of Vermont's Wolfgang Mieder in his 2002 case study Call a Spade a Spade: From Classical Phrase to Racial Slur.

"To call a spade a spade" entered the English language when Nicholas Udall translated Erasmus in 1542. Famous authors who have used it in their works include Charles Dickens and W. Somerset Maugham, among others.

To be clear, the "spade" in the Erasmus translation has nothing to do with a deck of cards, but rather the gardening tool. In fact, one form of the expression that emerged later was "to call a spade a bloody shovel." The early usages of the word "spade" did not refer to either race or skin color.

One of the more famous mentions of the phrase came in Oscar Wilde's 1895 play The Importance of Being Earnest:

Good Lord, people, of course I know that "call a spade a spade" is a common saying. That's why I said I hoped he used it intentionally for humorous purposes in this context.

I did not know, however, that the saying originated that long ago. I had always believed it stemmed from Army usage, based on the Army's description of a spade as "an entrenching tool."

Originally posted by HallofFame:
Fing melting pot crap. Move to a place that is still white and your problems solved at least for now. Explain to him that he is the last generation that will be free as a white. Try to tell him his children will be openly attacked for the color of their skin in this country as it succumbs to the browning of our nation.
Where is that now...Idaho? Montana? North Dakota? Maine?

Originally posted by mstp1992:

This is another interesting example of the original word and phrase starting out fairly innocuous and becoming racially insensitive.

The origins actually go back to Plutarch, couple hundred years or so before Christ was born. It eventually became fairly common in 16th century Europe and literally meant 'call something by its real name.'

It wasn't until 20th century America where it got turned into a racial slur when the word 'spade' was used to describe something 'black as the ace of spades.'

I've known people who have apologized for using the word renege. It seems like maybe we can be a little too sensitive.

OP is raising his kid in a broken home, this should be expected.

I've known people who have apologized for using the word renege. It seems like maybe we can be a little too sensitive.Finding 'renege' to be an inappropriate term due to racial overtones I believe would be an example of an 'eggcorn'.

I've known people who have apologized for using the word renege. It seems like maybe we can be a little too sensitive.
A few years ago, an Ivy League professor got into huge trouble for using the word "niggardly." I guess I could understand theh students not knowing the word if it were a junior college in New Mexico, but this wasn't.

Originally posted by torbee:

This is awesome. Truly, the defining injustice of our times.
Don't let him feel guilty about being white Montross, white lives matter.

Anyway, I had to discuss the N work with my then 8 year old when we watched the movie 42. We talked about how it is a word that is meant to tear down other groups of people and how it uttered by those who are full of hate.

Later that week he asked me what the word Fag meant and what it means when someone calls someone else a fag (thanks a lot public school bussing). We basically just rehashed the N word conversation. It was an interesting week.

I've known people who have apologized for using the word renege. It seems like maybe we can be a little too sensitive.Finding 'renege' to be an inappropriate term due to racial overtones I believe would be an example of an 'eggcorn'.
I don't think that would be an eggcorn. I think it would be more of a malapropism. I recall when I was in high school, though, a joke involving the word that was based on the Nebraska football team making a substitution. Even then, I didn't think it was all that funny.

If Al or Jessie show up at your front door along with a crew from CNN or MSNBC, you've waited too long.

After reading the title, I thought your were referring to the sex talk. LOL!

Think about putting your kid in a private school where he can learn to be an entitled snob rather than a budding racist?

I had no idea that calling a spade a spade is a racial slur.

On a funny note, I was telling a story about coon hunting back in Iowa and one of my co-workers got offended. It was an odd couple of minutes with my branch manager and human resources when I explained that a coon dog tracked racoons.

Originally posted by linkshero:

roll.r191677.gif

Was going to start a thread about this slogan awhile back...is it racist? I honestly don't know.

And OP, if your kid drops an F or an N bomb at that age, you are doing it wrong.

This is correct. OP has no control. I thought OP hired some in-house nanny/teacher? How is she not assisting in this issue?

SP database folder has been accessed. Thread is about to turn legendary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT