ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk Central: Rick Heller Deserves a Big Raise - and soon

1. I totally agree he needs a longer-term contract and a good Hefty raise.

2. He isn't going anywhere. Remember where he came from and how he got here. No way he goes elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure he learned by going to Indiana State that his ties to this state would be impossible to match elsewhere

I agree that Heller needs to get a raise but comparing his salary to KOK's is just lazy. Iowa isn't anywhere close to a baseball school, yet. I don't see how the AD could justify paying a non-revenue sport coach SEC/ACC type money right now.

IMO Heller needs to prove he can repeat this kind of success before we give him a raise because we lose a couple of key pieces. Lets see how he replaces them

IMO Heller needs to prove he can repeat this kind of success before we give him a raise because we lose a couple of key pieces. Lets see how he replaces them

IMO he has.
Year one was exciting even though we really weren't that good.
Year two the team was amazing and if it hadn't been for a once in a lifetime team for Illinois, Iowa wins the B1G.
Year three had an exciting run.
Year four they finished the deal in the B1G tournament.

Two NCAA tournament appearances in four years. What did Iowa have before Heller? Three in school history?

I agree that Heller needs to get a raise but comparing his salary to KOK's is just lazy. Iowa isn't anywhere close to a baseball school, yet. I don't see how the AD could justify paying a non-revenue sport coach SEC/ACC type money right now.
He very well could get an offer from a SEC/ACC school then what.I'm sure this is the kind of leverage KF had

He very well could get an offer from a SEC/ACC school then what.I'm sure this is the kind of leverage KF had
I guess with the new BTN money rolling in, they could probably make him the highest paid coach in the B1G and probably not even feel a pinch in the budget.

I guess with the new BTN money rolling in, they could probably make him the highest paid coach in the B1G and probably not even feel a pinch in the budget.
They dont need to do that. Just make it big enough that it shows commitment. Both HC and assistant positions.

They dont need to do that. Just make it big enough that it shows commitment. Both HC and assistant positions.
The AD is going to have an extra $15-$20 million rolling in. They could easily throw 2-3% of that at Heller and not bat an eye. Not saying that's what they need to do but that they could.

He's only got 2 years left on initial 6 year deal. With what he's done at Iowa and if they want it to continue then they need to lock him up. It doesn't have to be absurd like KF, but need to show recruits he's the man and will be here long-term.

He's far proven he deserves a raise. 2017 was supposed to be a rebuilding year and he had 4 guys drafted.
This.

2017 was supposed to be a rebuilding year and he managed to win 39 games, including a B1G Championship. They also went down to Houston and proved they belonged with some of the best teams in the country.

Anyone have any renders of the upcoming banks field renovation? I saw it at the game on Saturday but can't find anything online for it. MUCH needed to go along with increased salaries for ALL the baseball coaches.

You would be a bad AD and likely lose coaches under your nose. He has shown tremendous strides year over year. You invest in a coach prior to big-time success.

Anyone have any renders of the upcoming banks field renovation? I saw it at the game on Saturday but can't find anything online for it. MUCH needed to go along with increased salaries for ALL the baseball coaches.
I'm disappointed a timeline for the renovation hasn't been announced by now. Wondering if the plan now is to get the Kinnick north end zone at least mostly finished before revisiting baseball.

I'm disappointed a timeline for the renovation hasn't been announced by now. Wondering if the plan now is to get the Kinnick north end zone at least mostly finished before revisiting baseball.

My guess is football once again takes priority unless baseball were to get a big donation.

Unfortunately, yes. After Jane Meyer ****ed everything, it set the baseball timeline back and then combined with the north EZ project, it was curbed

Wish a big donor would step up

Unfortunately, yes. After Jane Meyer ****ed everything, it set the baseball timeline back and then combined with the north EZ project, it was curbed

Wish a big donor would step up

I'm not sure that's true. Baseball has been searching for a lead donor for the project for the last year and a half. It's still going to take someone stepping up to get the project moving.

I'm not sure that's true. Baseball has been searching for a lead donor for the project for the last year and a half. It's still going to take someone stepping up to get the project moving.
.25 of a the TV money for a year and its covered. Not that hard.

Is that ignoring the other expenses and investments that are already in the system?
The new TV deal is expected to bring in 10-20 million more per year so lets call it $15 million.

The North Endzone project is going to cost $90 million. Take $9 million of the new TV money over 10 years to pay for that. That is 60% of the new money.

You could double Heller's salary for 1.3% of the new TV money.

With those 2 projects you still have $5.8 million per year of new money left over to spread around. Give a chunk to the baseball renovation. Give a chunk to a stand alone wrestling facility. Give a chunk to basketball for something. Let the other sports fight over the scraps.

Reactions: volknut
The new TV deal is expected to bring in 10-20 million more per year so lets call it $15 million.

The North Endzone project is going to cost $90 million. Take $9 million of the new TV money over 10 years to pay for that. That is 60% of the new money.

You could double Heller's salary for 1.3% of the new TV money.

With those 2 projects you still have $5.8 million per year of new money left over to spread around. Give a chunk to the baseball renovation. Give a chunk to a stand alone wrestling facility. Give a chunk to basketball for something. Let the other sports fight over the scraps.
Yep and add in that Iowa invested in Heller and Heller had some demands when he came in. He has exceeded expectations and has the baseball program on the national radar talk now. He is recruiting a whole new breed of athlete now, he is going after draft picks.

2Bagger is right on this one. Baseball needs a title sponsor or donor to offer up at least $1 million to jumpstart any Banks Field and facilities renovations.
The increase in BTN revenue had already been budgeted for the Kinnick Stadium upgrade, paying down CHA debt from the last renovation and also paying down debt on the CRWC.

Does anyone know what the P&L of the baseball program has been since Heller has taken over? Baseball is not an extremely expensive sport and with the increased attendance and sponsorships I gotta think that they have closed the gap a bit.
What is a realistic number for Heller? $250,000 - $300,000?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT