ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk fans, what is an acceptable win/loss record each year for Iowa?

HemiHawk

HR All-American
Sep 30, 2001
No matter how it happens. Iowa ranks #21 in total wins over the past 10 years. Not bad really. I agree the rank could/would be better with a more explosive offense.

Wins past 10 years, 4-8-7-12-8-8-9-10-6-10. Year 9 is the covid year.

IMHO...8+ wins regular season is my standard for Iowa football...especially in the Big 10 West Division.
Anything under 8 wins to me is unacceptable considering the history of the program.

Reactions: HemiHawk
With the easy OOC and B1G West schedule Iowa has, even with tough cross-division matchups, 8 wins regular season should be minimum, and given the B1G West lineup, a division win every 3-4 years should be absolute minimum. An occasional 6-7 win season is understandable every once in a great while, while a 4-5 win season is plain inexcusable, even in a rebuilding year.

Wins over the previous ten years.

2002 through 2011

11-10-10-7-6-6-9-11-8-7

I would like to see at least 8 to 11 wins every season. However, Iowa doesn't have the recruiting and/or coaching to challenge regularly for B10 titles let alone national titles. Never has.

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
8+ wins a year, a division title once every 4 years. A 6 win season is acceptable once per decade during a rebuilding year. This year is NOT a rebuilding year.

Last edited:
I'm not including bowl games or BTT games in my calculations.

8 wins is the floor in a 12 game regular season. That gives us a 6-3 conference record with an OOC loss. Or 5-4 conference record with undefeated OOC.

Moving from there, it all depends upon the schedule and the strength of the teams we're playing. This year we should be at least 5-1 right now, if not 6-0 with the schedule we've played and the strength of those teams. We also should have several blowout wins in those 6 games. We have none of that and are instead 3-3. By the midseason point last year I think some of us expected to have a couple losses and would have been fine with that not knowing how much several of those highly rated teams were pretenders at the time.

With the schedule this year we shouldn't be happy without at least 9 regular season wins(L to OSU, Michigan, and maybe one other game). And we shouldn't be happy if we don't win the West considering how weak the expected contenders are to this point. There is no good team in the West and we should be dominating the division.

No matter how it happens. Iowa ranks #21 in total wins over the past 10 years. Not bad really. I agree the rank could/would be better with a more explosive offense.

which year? you talking future...if so that's pointless since there is no schedule.

If you're talking east/west era...I'd say 10-3 avg should be minimum expected based on weak schedules.

I mean look at the list you provided of our top 5 wins the last year 5 years....it's really quite pathetic. You have 2 7-6 teams in our top 5 wins lol

I’m a 9 win guy normally but to be completely honest I have not watched as much film as I need to and dogged it in my cheering a few times this season. I think that lack of effort by me is showing on the field so I’ll have to make by with whatever win total.

• Haha
Reactions: Cougar63
8 should be the minimum. We always have a bad non conference and play in a bad division.
That is the qualification.
The schedule, which is not good, puts the minimum at 8 wins to be above mediocre.
B1G west was weak even before wisky's implosion this year.
The lack of "good" wins is telling.

When I look at our team and what should be our potential I see winning the two so called cupcakes we schedule each year and beating ISU 4 out of every 5 or 6 games. So many times 3 wins in the non-conf.

The hawks have owned all the west teams except Wisky for the most part and jNW seems to get Kirk and the guys more often than they should. And now Purdue has our number.

I think against the 6 current divisional foes the hawks should win 4 to 5 a year, plus usually 3 non-conf games, and then, like this year we will probably go 1-2 against the East Div. So that makes it 8 to 10 as my avg wins window.

Don’t have a win loss metric. But my thoughts are it’s all right to suck at times. At Iowa that’s going to happen. It’s not all right to suck and then refuse to get better or try something else and then become a laughingstock in college football. And that’s currently what we are.
Dude, do you realize that this is the first year Iowa has “struggled” record wise in 10 years? After the last struggle year which was 2012 Kirk started a run in 2015 not ever seen at Iowa and envied by most programs in the country and in big ten not named Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Penn State.

if you were on board with the success of the last seven years wouldn’t you have to trust the guy who’s done it before?
But no; because many here want an immediate fix which in the world of football especially at Iowa doesn’t exist. Actually many here just don’t like the last name of the OC.

Yes, the offense struggles. I’ve read many posts stating the definition of insanity. It’s the same bloody thing with starting or commenting in yet another thread about how bad the offense is. Maybe, just maybe if someone could post an idea Kirk and Brian have not thought about and maybe that idea gets to them…boom, the offense will be awesome!!!

Acceptable vs unacceptable is a dumb threshold IMO. If you don't accept it, then what?

I prefer happy vs unhappy. Even that is hard to quantify.

Show progress, play tough, make plays, beat teams you should and a few you shouldn't.

Get to a bowl game.

Reactions: Mccusk34
I think it is completely dependent on the year. My hopes for this year was 9 wins and/or Big Ten West division title. Knowing we had a great defense coming back I thought these were reasonable expectations. In years like 2013 we only won 8 games but it felt like a success based on where we were as a program.

Dude, do you realize that this is the first year Iowa has “struggled” record wise in 10 years? After the last struggle year which was 2012 Kirk started a run in 2015 not ever seen at Iowa and envied by most programs in the country and in big ten not named Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Penn State.

if you were on board with the success of the last seven years wouldn’t you have to trust the guy who’s done it before?
But no; because many here want an immediate fix which in the world of football especially at Iowa doesn’t exist. Actually many here just don’t like the last name of the OC.

Yes, the offense struggles. I’ve read many posts stating the definition of insanity. It’s the same bloody thing with starting or commenting in yet another thread about how bad the offense is. Maybe, just maybe if someone could post an idea Kirk and Brian have not thought about and maybe that idea gets to them…boom, the offense will be awesome!!!
Transfer Portal. 🤷‍♂️
And I’ve never understood this “record” argument to support our offense. This isn’t basketball where you sacrifice maybe defensively for a stud offensive player like Garza. This isn’t baseball where the shortstop may not rake but he’s a great defender. Our offense doesn’t need to be last in the country for the sake of our defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
which year? you talking future...if so that's pointless since there is no schedule.

If you're talking east/west era...I'd say 10-3 avg should be minimum expected based on weak schedules.

I mean look at the list you provided of our top 5 wins the last year 5 years....it's really quite pathetic. You have 2 7-6 teams in our top 5 wins lol
Maybe you could participate without being a jackass?

Last edited:
Not about records, more about status and achievements. I can handle a “stinker” season (6-7 wins) if it meant that the other four years, we were playing in a game that decided the West. And winning that game half the time.

But now that divisions are going away, I think we should be in the mix with Wisconsin, UCLA and Penn State for the top of the “next tier” in the conference.

For the money Iowa invests in football:

8 wins is a meh year
9 should be the gold standard
Win the division 1x every 5 years
Win the conference 1x every 10 years

Reactions: ClarindaA's
With the lack of in state talent and the 2-3* type of recruits we have to rely on, I think it should be expected every 4-5 years we have a losing season. We do as good as anyone hitting on those type of recruits but occasionally you’re going to have misses and I think the misses in what should be our senior/junior class is a big part of the reason we’re struggling this year.

It depends on the year and the schedule.

Beyond wins and losses is the quality of the product on the field. What would be better, a 7-3 yawn of a win vs. SDSU to open the season or a competitive opening loss to say Oregon of the 42-38 variety? Well, a loss is never good, but I know which game would be more enjoyable to watch and would bode well for the rest of the season, and it sure as hell isn’t the former.

I think that’s the part of the W/L discussion that gets overlooked. Yeah, great, Iowa beat Nebraska by 3 points, but they laid an egg during the bowl game.

People discount the defenses in the big ten west. Yea the floor is pretty bad most years but it’s not a ****ing pushover like people think. It’s hard to compare because the East is the best in college football. Also, it’s infuriating because Iowa likes to leave a lot of wins out there on the table. I would say 8-4 is fine as long as it’s more often connected to 9+ win seasons and not 6/7 win seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT