ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye athletes getting their degrees

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
I want to commend all the young men who tweeted they got their degrees this weekend. My advice to each of you is remember to work as hard in business and you have preparing to play football and you'll be successful. A diploma is just a piece of paper. Hard work, determination, perseverance, and going the extra mile will make you successful.

The job market is better for college grads than I have seen it in a long time. Unfortunately too many candidates aren't willing to make a serious commitment to success. Don't settle for OK, strive for more. I was never the brightest but very few ever out worked me.

The world is your oyster, go out and make a name for yourself. After a few years, work on your masters in business, you'll need it.

Best of luck and good fortune to each of you.

I want to commend all the young men who tweeted they got their degrees this weekend. My advice to each of you is remember to work as hard in business and you have preparing to play football and you'll be successful. A diploma is just a piece of paper. Hard work, determination, perseverance, and going the extra mile will make you successful.

The job market is better for college grads than I have seen it in a long time. Unfortunately too many candidates aren't willing to make a serious commitment to success. Don't settle for OK, strive for more. I was never the brightest but very few ever out worked me.

The world is your oyster, go out and make a name for yourself. After a few years, work on your masters in business, you'll need it.

That was an awesome awesome post and I commend you for that- you always have a very positive outlook on things and I think other posters should follow in your footsteps- including ME

That was an awesome awesome post and I commend you for that- you always have a very positive outlook on things and I think other posters should follow in your footsteps- including ME
Thanks Jersey, I retired a few years ago. I now feel an obligation to mentor younger professionals where I can. Complacency is something that seems to affect many young professionals. They start having success and forget how they achieved that success.

One of my proudest achievements in my career was implementing a college education scholarship program for employees. To see white and blue collar employees get a degree at night and advance within my company or another was great to see.

Regarding the thought of complacency, you guys might want to google the video of Woody Hayes on apathy (ifyou have have already seenit) Probably one of the most motivational 1-minute speeches I have ever seen. I can see why he was such a successful coach.

Regarding the thought of complacency, you guys might want to google the video of Woody Hayes on apathy (ifyou have have already seenit) Probably one of the most motivational 1-minute speeches I have ever seen. I can see why he was such a successful coach.
Ripcord,

I just looked up his lecture. How very true. Woody was a great motivator, he hated to lose. Unfortunately we have a lot of apathy in this world today. Too many people accept ordinary instead of greatness. I had a lot of people that said I was Lucky, the interesting thing I found out, the harder I worked, the Luckier I became.

Thank you for sharing, I'm going to share with some folks I mentor.

All the best,

Gunner

Great post. I might add the suggestion that they find something they are passionate about. Then the necessary hard work for success doesn't feel like hard work.

Thanks Jersey, I retired a few years ago. I now feel an obligation to mentor younger professionals where I can. Complacency is something that seems to affect many young professionals. They start having success and forget how they achieved that success.

One of my proudest achievements in my career was implementing a college education scholarship program for employees. To see white and blue collar employees get a degree at night and advance within my company or another was great to see.
Very well said Gunner I hope you enjoy your longgggg long retirement to the absolute fullest! GO HAWKS!

Ripcord,

I just looked up his lecture. How very true. Woody was a great motivator, he hated to lose. Unfortunately we have a lot of apathy in this world today. Too many people accept ordinary instead of greatness. I had a lot of people that said I was Lucky, the interesting thing I found out, the harder I worked, the Luckier I became.

Thank you for sharing, I'm going to share with some folks I mentor.

All the best,

Gunner
Gunner, can you PM me please when you get a chance?

As an obscure man whose name I have long since forgotten once told me up graduation, "Now you are all done with your schooling, and your education is about to begin."

A rather profound thought, I felt then,and still do.
Nothing kicks you square in the gibblies and laughs at you like the real world. Many kids come out of college thinking they are still in their safe place...

Reactions: rchawk
I would guess that many if not most HS players who sign P5 offers have dreams of playing in the NFL About 95 percent don't make it. Get your degree young man. .

as a recent TV advertisement says, "99 percent of us will be going pro ........ in something other than sports. still think we're a bunchof dumb jocks?"

ADVERTISEMENT