ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Baseball Recruiting

funnyfletcher

HR Heisman
Apr 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
www.funnyfletcher.com
Here's a look at some recruits Iowa has for their upcoming classes, looks like some solid players

P-Jack Dreyer 6-3 185 L/L Johnston, IA son of former big leaguer, Steve
P-Cam Baumann 6-3 210 L/L Fairfield, IA
P-Alex Tovalin 6-1 175 R/R Chula Vista, CA, juco, will be a Jr. I think
P-Eric Jagers 6-1 205 L/L Davenport, IA, will be a Jr.
P-Brady Schanuel 6-3 180 R/R Belleville, IL will be a Jr., has been drafted twice, could sign with Philadelphia after being a 20th round selection.
P-Ben Probst 6-1 185 R/R Des Moines, IA, was originally commited to Nebraska then realized how much being in the state of Nebraska sucks
C/P-Brett McCleary 6-2 208 R/R Iowa City, Iowa
1B/OF-Connor McCaffery 6-6 205 L/L Iowa City, IA, will play baseball and basketball at Iowa
P/1B/OF-Trenton Wallace 6-1 175 L/L Rock Island, IL
MIF-Lorenzo Elion 6-1 170 R/R Chicago, IL, juco, 3 years to play?
SS-Tanner Wetrich 6-0 170 R/R Moberly, MO, juco 2 years left
SS-Zion Pettigrew 6-0 165 R/R Chicago, IL

Curious to see if football recruit, Henry Marchese, will also play baseball at Iowa, big time prospect, could get drafted pretty high

P-Clayton Nettleton 6-3 205 L/R Davenport, IA
P-Luke Patzner 6-3 210 R/R forgot where he was from, can't read my own writing
SS/2B/3B-Brayden Frazier 5-11 190 R/R Cedar Rapids, IA

1B-Peyton Williams 6-4 205 L/L Johnston, IA
OF-Andrew Nord 5-11 175 R/R Johnston, IA
C/OF-Tyler Snep 6-2 190 L/R Lake Zurich, IL

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about Eric Jagers. I didn't look him up, but he's very likely to be a senior/one-year player only if he graduated from HS in 2013. Next year would be his 5th year post high school.

Not sure if Marchese will play baseball for Iowa, hope he does. Jagers will be a Jr in 2018. Must have redshirted somewhere.

I really hope Iowa can get Marchese to consider baseball. When was the last time (if ever) Iowa baseball had a talent like he is supposed to be out of HS?

I know Zach Kenyon was drafted in the 9th round out of HS and came to Iowa instead. He never really panned out and was dominant like I thought he could be at Iowa.

Wallace plays at Dav. Assumption, interesting that he is listed from Rock Island

What was Danny Bales drafted? He graduated the year before me at Kennedy, spacing off his round, but know it was by the dodgers

Not sure if Bales got drafted or not. I don't think he did, but could be wrong.
High school was twelve years ago now, maybe he was going to be undrafted and the Dodgers were talking to him about signing. I can't find any info about him being drafted. One of the two best HS pitchers and probably players period to come out of Kennedy, that's for sure.

Reactions: Hawkeye78
Thanks for doing the research. Bummed he got hurt at Iowa, thought he could've been awesome. He has a birth defect that handicapped his hand, so his success was that much more awe inspiring. Plus, he threw a bunch of 300 games while in High School bowling.

Interesting. I don't remember hearing about him until now.

That website is a goldmine and is a constant reminder in how difficult it is to make it to bigs.

This says he wasn't drafted....he did have an 11+ ERA at Iowa in 2007. I knew he struggled, I didn't know it was that bad though.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=Danny-Bales
Classic case of "what could have been". Being new at the time, Coach Dahm used Bales as the first of his efforts to secure in-state kids to Iowa and offered him a huge scholarship. Danny was a very personable and likeable kid, but just couldn't get focused enough to play ball at the DI level. It's no secret he wasn't a fan of the classroom and teetered on the edge of eligibility during his time in a Hawkeye uniform. The story I was told---eventually he butt heads with the coaching staff one too many times and quit.

The coaches took him at his word and immediately filled out the paperwork to open up his scholarship. It was rumored he approached Coach Dahm a short time later and offered an apology in an effort to regain his status, but coach told him no.

Cougar is correct about his hand. It was moderately withered and I don't think his fingers were completely developed, but it was his glove hand and it didn't effect his fielding as much as you would have thought. I lost track of him after he left Iowa, but I think he may have played his remaining eligibility at Kirkwood CC.

His story is an unfortunate and all too common one---a kid has tremendous physical talent, but just doesn't put everything outside of their sport together and ends up blowing a great opportunity.

Danny Bales was a weekend starter for a time back when the B1G played four game series of 9-7-7-9. He'd typically start one of the Saturday seven inning games. I absolutely hated the days of the B1G doing that.

Looking at the roster on Hawkeye Sports, I noticed three true freshmen who didn't play at all this year:

Kace Massner (6'5", 225; OF)
Connor Lindaman (6'5", 235; 1B)
Adam Larock (6'1", 180; IF/OF)

Anyone know much about them? Are they expected to play next year? They seem like they had some very good numbers in HS and pretty solid recruiting metrics. If Adams is gone (seems very likely), Iowa will have a big hole at 1B -- Lindaman seems like he might be able to pitch in there. OF playing time could be harder to come by if Whelan, Norman, and Neustrom are all back (seems likely), which might hurt Massner and/or Larock.

Anyway, just curious because I haven't heard much about these guys.

Looking at the roster on Hawkeye Sports, I noticed three true freshmen who didn't play at all this year:

Kace Massner (6'5", 225; OF)
Connor Lindaman (6'5", 235; 1B)
Adam Larock (6'1", 180; IF/OF)

Anyone know much about them? Are they expected to play next year? They seem like they had some very good numbers in HS and pretty solid recruiting metrics. If Adams is gone (seems very likely), Iowa will have a big hole at 1B -- Lindaman seems like he might be able to pitch in there. OF playing time could be harder to come by if Whelan, Norman, and Neustrom are all back (seems likely), which might hurt Massner and/or Larock.

Anyway, just curious because I haven't heard much about these guys.

Massner is very much a Taylor Zeutonhorst clone based on his measurables and raw talent. I think Lindaman gets a look next year at 1B but Judkins is similar to Tyler Peyton: if it weren't for his pitching ability he'd play third. Not sure about Larock.

The great thing about Heller's recruiting is the ability to redshirt all three of these guys plus Cole Kampen, who is coming of TJ. All four guys are high end talents but Heller has recruited well enough (and smart enough) to red shirt them. Fun times ahead!!

Last edited:
Here's a look at some recruits Iowa has for their upcoming classes, looks like some solid players

P-Jack Dreyer 6-3 185 L/L Johnston, IA son of former big leaguer, Steve
P-Cam Baumann 6-3 210 L/L Fairfield, IA
P-Alex Tovalin 6-1 175 R/R Chula Vista, CA, juco, will be a Jr. I think
P-Eric Jagers 6-1 205 L/L Davenport, IA, last played at DMACC, graduated HS in '13, not sure what year he will be
P-Ben Probst 6-1 185 R/R Des Moines, IA, was originally commited to Nebraska then realized how much being in the state of Nebraska sucks
1B/OF-Connor McCaffery 6-6 205 L/L Iowa City, IA, will play baseball and basketball at Iowa
P/1B/OF-Trenton Wallace 6-1 175 L/L Rock Island, IL
MIF-Lorenzo Elion 6-1 170 R/R Chicago, IL, juco, 3 years to play?
SS-Tanner Wetrich 6-0 170 R/R Moberly, MO, juco 2 years left
SS-Zion Pettigrew 6-0 165 R/R Chicago, IL
C-Joel Thompson 6-3 210 R/R Council Bluffs, IA
Curious to see if football recruit, Henry Marchese, will also play baseball at Iowa, big time prospect, could get drafted pretty high

P-Clayton Nettleton 6-3 205 L/R Davenport, IA
P-Luke Patzner 6-3 210 R/R forgot where he was from, can't read my own writing
SS/2B/3B-Brayden Frazier 5-11 190 R/R Cedar Rapids, IA

1B-Peyton Williams 6-4 205 L/L Johnston, IA
OF-Andrew Nord 5-11 175 R/R Johnston, IA
It would be interesting to have you edit and update this list in your OP. Missing a guy i think.

It looks like Iowa recruiting class should likely remain intact. Marchese is on campus working out with football so hopefully for fb sake he stays

Reactions: funnyfletcher
I don't follow baseball/recruiting the way I do basketball, so this may be an old or dumb question. Did Iowa recruit Devin Porter from Saydel? He's a Sr, and I'm not sure where's he's going, but he destroyed the baseball last year, and is having a better year this year.

I don't follow baseball/recruiting the way I do basketball, so this may be an old or dumb question. Did Iowa recruit Devin Porter from Saydel? He's a Sr, and I'm not sure where's he's going, but he destroyed the baseball last year, and is having a better year this year.

Looks like he is going to Iowa Central CC

Reactions: SSG T
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT