ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Heaven getting called out by the Media on Twitter for ripping off logo from charitable group

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
As you can see at the end of this post (see Todd's message), Hawkeye Heaven's (its a Facebook page) founder ripped off a logo from a motorcycle group that raises money for several charities. That logo is being used by Levi Thompson (his name has been made public) to profit himself.

Chad Leistikow, Tom Kakert and several other media people have retweeted the message that is being sent out and retweeted, which is for Hawkeye fans to stop enabling the Hawkeye Heaven guy.

If you want to see the original tweet and some of the responses, go here: www.twitter.com/ToddBrommelkamp/status/1019614224249569280/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1019614224249569280&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fiowa.forums.rivals.com%2Fthreads%2Fhawkeye-heaven-getting-called-out-by-the-media-on-twitter-for-ripping-off-logo-from-charitable-group.236984%2F

Here is a screen shot of the tweet:

Chad Leistikow Retweeted
Todd Brommelkamp‏@ToddBrommelkamp 5h5 hours ago

Levi Thompson (Hawkeye Heaven Facebook page founder) is at it again. He's ripped off the logo of a motorcycle group that raises money for several charities. Seriously, #Hawkeyes fans. Stop enabling this guy. Just. Stop.

DiZlLf7V4AAqWFs.jpg

6 replies 26 retweets 79 likes

Reactions: iCRUNCH
I've seen some of the traditional media angry with him before on twitter, and they may very well be right. I don't pay attention or follow his facebook page. Here's the design in question, and I can see how it could be an honest mistake, there's not a lot of elaborate creativity going on here. HH definitely shouldn't make money off of it though. Here's a tweet showing the Hawkeye heaven artwork and the charity's logo:

I've seen some of the traditional media angry with him before on twitter, and they may very well be right. I don't pay attention or follow his facebook page. Here's the design in question, and I can see how it could be an honest mistake, there's not a lot of elaborate creativity going on here. HH definitely shouldn't make money off of it though. Here's a tweet showing the Hawkeye heaven artwork and the charity's logo:
Yeah I mean hes earned his reputation but this one isn't as close as I thought it would be!

Can someone give cliffs notes on this dude? I must have missed who he is and why we're enabling him? Admittedly know very little about him

Multiple DUIs, I believe, and possibly unpaid child support. Never gave credit for news or photos for the longest time (which is why the media folks don't like him).

Hell he takes photos from the University and doesn't give credit

Hell he takes photos from the University and doesn't give credit

Many of the press (reporters amd photographers) jave blocked him on Twitter. He would purposely crop out watermarks and then be like "what's the big deal, more people will see the picture!" when called out on it.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Many of the press (reporters amd photographers) jave blocked him on Twitter. He would purposely crop out watermarks and then be like "what's the big deal, more people will see the picture!" when called out on it.

It's really too bad, it used to be a great page.

i think the issues/the uproar can be summed up this way:

* There is a pattern here. He didn't come up with the "319" idea and he lifted it from a charitable organization. Just like he didn't come up with content that he has copied and pasted from journalists in the past; just like the pics he has stolen from the Register, the Gazette, and the AP in the past. Its a common theme with Levi; he doesn't come up with (or create) the idea/the content, he steals it, and claims it as his own.

* The motorcycle group uses that "319" design for charitable causes. Levi Thompson is planning on lining his own pockets from the the idea that he lifted from someone else

Last edited:
Reactions: Bro D
The state's border with an area code inside seems so generic that nobody should be able to claim intellectual property rights to it.

Scott Dochterman worked for the Gazette and Landof10. Check this out:

Scott Dochterman‏Verified account@ScottDochterman 1h1 hour ago
Never forget when I was with the Gazette, making post-NFL draft calls about free-agent signings. I'd tweet a signing, then five minutes later it was re-posted word-for-word w/o attribution. I wrote something about mentioning where he got the info then was told it's just Facebook.

Reactions: QChawks and iCRUNCH
He's a douchebag.

Although he had a fairly large part in spreading the word about "The Wave" but he's still a douchebag .

Spread it by taking credit for it.

Anything to try and make a buck...from people actually busting their ass in a difficult market.

guy is a DB. people think he has insight because a bunch of idiots follow him. he knows nothing moar than any other typical fan

Reactions: Franisdaman
Chad Leistikow (Register columnist) has issues with the guy.

Chad Leistikow‏Verified account@ChadLeistikow
Replying to @RobHoweHN
HH even made @davidscrivner angry on multiple occasions when he worked for us. And it's pretty much impossible to make @davidscrivner angry.

2:39 PM - 18 Jul 2018

2 replies 0 retweets 9 likes

And this is the follow up tweet from the former Register/HawkCentral photographer who got very upset with his photos being stolen and used by Hawkeye Heaven:

David Scrivner‏Verified account@davidscrivner 13m13 minutes ago
Replying to @ChadLeistikow
I contacted AP and USA Today before I left with numerous links to images being used (without permission & without paying for them) by Hawkeye Heaven. The AP and USA Today said they'd look into it. Might be worth following up with them.

This is the tweet from the former Register/HawkCentral photographer who got very upset with his photos being stolen and used by Hawkeye Heaven:

David Scrivner‏Verified account@davidscrivner 13m13 minutes ago
Replying to @ChadLeistikow
I contacted AP and USA Today before I left with numerous links to images being used (without permission & without paying for them) by Hawkeye Heaven. The AP and USA Today said they'd look into it. Might be worth following up with them.

239430.jpg

www.amazon.com/Death-Common-Sense-Publisher-Publishing/dp/B004SBBDE4/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KYYWWA6VP1A5VVXHG17W

Spread it by taking credit for it.

Anything to try and make a buck...from people actually busting their ass in a difficult market.
that's what he does. he takes someone's creation (something written by a real journalist; a pic from a real photographer; a logo from a charitable organization; the Wave idea from an actual genuine person) and steals it/takes ownership of it

The Wave is suddenly becoming "we did this" on Hawkeye Heaven; the person who came up with the idea will soon be forgotten if Hawkeye Heaven has anything to say about it

wow; that's pretty bad

i see that he puts "HH" watermarks on the pics he steals!

I get that he's a leech, I was just commenting on the outrage on the state's border with an area code inside.
I was initially with you on this one, but man...that's pretty much a carbon copy of the design. Pretty slimy on HH's part.

Edit: I must have looked at the image wrong. It's not as close as I originally thought.

I was initially with you on this one, but man...that's pretty much a carbon copy of the design. Pretty slimy on HH's part.

Edit: I must have looked at the image wrong. It's not as close as I originally thought.
The way I feel, who has rights to a black hat with white font of an area code? It's been done by so many people that nobody can claim it.

I've seen enough from HH to have a pretty confident opinion that the guy is a major DB, but the general shape of Iowa with 319 in the middle? Really? That's simply not major intellectual property. I have a cousin who had a t-shirt shop in Iowa City back in the 90s when I was in college. I worked there for a bit doing screen-printing. He had some of his own designs, both licensed and not. There's a reason why you can find 5,000 vendors selling sweatshirts with "IOWA" and some number in an oval underneath.....nobody owns a copyright on the name of the state or a number. Get to anything with like Hawks, Hawkeyes, University of Iowa, etc. and then you have to pay a licensing fee.

I can't imagine anyone can "own" the shape of the state with an area code in the middle.....of course, that said, while he may not have directly copied the motorcycle group, I can't imagine HH paid a huge amount of money for someone to design that.

I've seen enough from HH to have a pretty confident opinion that the guy is a major DB, but the general shape of Iowa with 319 in the middle? Really? That's simply not major intellectual property. I have a cousin who had a t-shirt shop in Iowa City back in the 90s when I was in college. I worked there for a bit doing screen-printing. He had some of his own designs, both licensed and not. There's a reason why you can find 5,000 vendors selling sweatshirts with "IOWA" and some number in an oval underneath.....nobody owns a copyright on the name of the state or a number. Get to anything with like Hawks, Hawkeyes, University of Iowa, etc. and then you have to pay a licensing fee.

I can't imagine anyone can "own" the shape of the state with an area code in the middle.....of course, that said, while he may not have directly copied the motorcycle group, I can't imagine HH paid a huge amount of money for someone to design that.
are you sure? So the Iowa 515 shirts like on Raygun don't apply. Does the capital R by logo mean something else

are you sure? So the Iowa 515 shirts like on Raygun don't apply. Does the capital R by logo mean something else

Were they able to actually register that as a trademark? I've seen the NC state outline with Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham area codes, PA outline with Philly/Pittsburgh area codes, OK outline with OKC area code.....maybe someone managed to get a registered trademark, but if a logo is truly nothing more than a state outline (available on any map, anywhere) and an area code (public data), then what is the intellectual property to claim? That you're the only person to ever have such an idea?

Go to Google and search "state outline area code logo" and you'll see them by the dozens.

Were they able to actually register that as a trademark? I've seen the NC state outline with Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham area codes, PA outline with Philly/Pittsburgh area codes, OK outline with OKC area code.....maybe someone managed to get a registered trademark, but if a logo is truly nothing more than a state outline (available on any map, anywhere) and an area code (public data), then what is the intellectual property to claim? That you're the only person to ever have such an idea?

Go to Google and search "state outline area code logo" and you'll see them by the dozens.
Couldn't you register the logo with specific colors and or fonts. I think you might be dismissing what you can trademark.

Couldn't you register the logo with specific colors and or fonts. I think you might be dismissing what you can trademark.

Well, I'm focusing on what I think is legit trademarking. If I take the outline of the state and use Helvetica size 14 font, is that trademark-able? I guess, maybe? But then what if someone else uses the state outline (which I cannot possibly own or else generations of map makers owe me money, and maybe God Himself does) with Times New Roman? I look at the HH and the cyclists logos and HH is clearly using a different font.....so what is actually intellectual property here?

For the record, I've fully acknowledged that the HH guy is a sincere douchenozzle, I just want to know what it is I can own. If I'm the first guy to put an outline of the US on an arm sleeve, does that mean that I own the outline of the US?

Well, I'm focusing on what I think is legit trademarking. If I take the outline of the state and use Helvetica size 14 font, is that trademark-able? I guess, maybe? But then what if someone else uses the state outline (which I cannot possibly own or else generations of map makers owe me money, and maybe God Himself does) with Times New Roman? I look at the HH and the cyclists logos and HH is clearly using a different font.....so what is actually intellectual property here?

For the record, I've fully acknowledged that the HH guy is a sincere douchenozzle, I just want to know what it is I can own. If I'm the first guy to put an outline of the US on an arm sleeve, does that mean that I own the outline of the US?

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...go-from-charitable-group.236984/#post-5534023

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT