ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Mom not thrilled with Hawkeye fans

There is no question that fans forget these are young men doing the best they can to win the game. Some days they are better than others but no one involved with the team is satisfied with how the last two weeks have gone. Losing brings out the worst fan behavior for sure.

I agree with the sentiment of her post. I will also say that if you are going to social media platforms like Twitter expecting calm, rationale, and articulate thoughts, you are going to be disappointed. It's a stage to lash out at the world, your team, the team that beat your team, puppies, etc. I suspect that the views on Twitter are about .001% of any fan base and represent the most volatile / intoxicated. Whatever "value" these social media platforms have is far outweighed by the toxicity and divisiveness they spread.

Twitter is a cesspool for sure. That's why the president, you know, the guy in DC, loves it so much. And that's why I've never used it.

And this is NOT to excuse the horrible things people post on Twitter--not at all--but I doubt that it's only Iowa fans who are guilty.

My advice is to stay off Twitter, Facebook, and most other social media and then--like me--you won't be subjected to the idiocy displayed there. Besides, this board is enough for me. ;)

Every fan base has plenty of people having meltdowns on social media. The Iowa fan base is no different.

I do think you can be critical without being a douchebag. I'm guessing the Iowa coaches and players have probably been critical of the past two performances. It is what it is. I'm sure the Iowa team is saying they need to be better. We can agree with them without being pathetic.

Social Media will be the eventual downfall of a civil society. Maybe a little over dramatic, but people read a comment and then assume that comment is supported by the majority. We have seen both sides of the aisle whipped into a frenzy by what turns out eventually to be a complete falsehood. It was seen last night when the Mayor said "look at that woman holding her dead child" when if you looked long enough at the video, the kid started blinking. Unless you have a sense of humor or just want to kill time, stay off social media. Especially if you have a child in the public view. You'll love it when everything is positive, and drive you insane when it's not..

Twitter is a cesspool for sure. That's why the president, you know, the guy in DC, loves it so much. And that's why I've never used it.

And this is NOT to excuse the horrible things people post on Twitter--not at all--but I doubt that it's only Iowa fans who are guilty.

My advice is to stay off Twitter, Facebook, and most other social media and then--like me--you won't be subjected to the idiocy displayed there. Besides, this board is enough for me. ;)

Never used Twitter? Check your signature. I guess you're sort of like your buddy..... "it depends on what the meaning of is is" right?

I do think you can be critical without being a douchebag.

In theory yes, but this board has proven that two losses by single scores to Top 20 teams brings the irrational pants shitting crybabies out of the woodwork. "Fire this, fire that, we'll never win again!" Rub some vagisil on it, you f***ing babies.

This board is definitely saturated in douchebaggery.

In theory yes, but this board has proven that two losses by single scores to Top 20 teams brings the irrational pants shitting crybabies out of the woodwork. "Fire this, fire that, we'll never win again!" Rub some vagisil on it, you f***ing babies.

And yet you are here?

Reactions: 24 so far
I don't know which is worse, the 5% of the fanbase who go over the top after a loss or the parents and players who allow the 5% to upset them.

Yes, the players aren't paid. It is what it is but fans also invest a large amount of time and money into this form of entertainment. Some of them will overreact and say terrible things.

This has been happening in every P5 program forever. It's not unique to Iowa. In fact it's probably worse in bigger programs. It's surprising to me that this is surprising to the parents/players. This isn't high school anymore. This is a multimillion dollar program, paying a coaching staff a lot of money to win games.

My advice to them is to tune that stuff out. I don't see that stuff on Twitter because I don't actively look for it. There's a reason why Kirk doesn't let his players keep Twitter.

Mrs. Britt is a bright woman. Her tweets are a good reminder for us all. I can assure you she knows every fan base has a few people who have no regard for the players.

I myself can be pretty disappointed after games. Sometimes it’s nice to vent.

I appreciate her comments.

I maybe off but haven’t noticed much if anything on this board disrespectful to the players. Certainly questions about coaching but thats been going on since the birth of cfb with all fanbases.

To me, it’s not the losses. It’s how we’ve lost. Lack of adjustments, appearing totally unprepared, poor clock management, unwillingness to sit a clearly rattled QB even for one series to get his head back in the game and calmed down. Those are the frustrating things. I can live with 2 ranked losses but damn those games were both there for the taking.

Every fan base has plenty of people having meltdowns on social media. The Iowa fan base is no different.

I do think you can be critical without being a douchebag. I'm guessing the Iowa coaches and players have probably been critical of the past two performances. It is what it is. I'm sure the Iowa team is saying they need to be better. We can agree with them without being pathetic.
We've also seen trolls tweet our commits in the past, you don't always know who is saying what.

I'm sure there are plenty of dbag fans that say crap they shouldn't, but no more than any other fanbase for any other major sport.

As others have said, I wouldn't know because I don't do the social media nonsense. Kinda surprised kids parents are on there reading it.....

To be fair, you don't FIRE players. ;)
I still think Polasek needs fired. Then again, if we won the games 3-0.....my opinion would be the same. Dude gets paid 100s of thousands and can't get these kids ready? Unacceptable....

Reactions: Niko13
To me, it’s not the losses. It’s how we’ve lost. Lack of adjustments, appearing totally unprepared, poor clock management, unwillingness to sit a clearly rattled QB even for one series to get his head back in the game and calmed down. Those are the frustrating things. I can live with 2 ranked losses but damn those games were both there for the taking.
how many teams really sit their qb in the middle of a game, especially when there isn't a backup that has taken a meaningful snap?

I've seen this argument before and still don't agree with it...

The rest of it, yeah :).

how many teams really sit their qb in the middle of a game, especially when there isn't a backup that has taken a meaningful snap?

I've seen this argument before and still don't agree with it...

The rest of it, yeah :).
It used to happen quite frequently. It doesn’t mean he’s benched permanently or even in the doghouse. He just needs to slow down, calm down and start seeing the game more clearly.

I am sure there will be a long line of people willing to tell her she is wrong. People need to be better people. And be better to people.

Thinking a little more, these parents that post things like this kinda annoy me.
They just try to basically make our fanbase look bad. I'm sure she has read some bad stuff online. It is no different anywhere else and making a post like this isn't gonna change one thing. The folks that are truly making "appalling" statements aren't going to care. They won't change, so what good does her tweet actually do? To me, it does nothing positive

It used to happen quite frequently. It doesn’t mean he’s benched permanently or even in the doghouse. He just needs to slow down, calm down and start seeing the game more clearly.
I just don't see it helping. I mean he was constantly getting killed, bringing in another qb with virtually zero experience isn't gonna help imo.

Sure we could bring in mansell for his legs, but I swear half the passes I've ever seen him throw were either picked, or could have been. And that was in garbage time vs inferior teams....

I will add that it sure would have been nice to see the backups get more play time earlier in the blowouts. It's nates 3rd year as a starter, if he hasn't figured stuff out by now then a few extra minutes isn't gonna do much for him. But it is what it is, too late now :(.

I wonder, how many people do you think would spew all of their comments if they were required to give their name, address and credentials. It’s quite easy to be critical when you hide behind the forum.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Lol, I was talking about you in particular. Someone has to keep you honest, crybaby.

05455a5fca46ca862bbd8de91bd4fc96210566-v5-wm.jpg

Reactions: ctghawk

You used to be one of my favorite posters here and on the OT board, hell I’ve even made transactions with you outside of HR but lately you become extremely hostile to anyone that disagrees with you or even has a different viewpoint. Belittling, name-calling, cursing. Everything ok brah?

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
You used to be one of my favorite posters here and on the OT board, hell I’ve even made transactions with you outside of HR but lately you become extremely hostile to anyone that disagrees with you or even has a different viewpoint. Belittling, name-calling, cursing. Everything ok brah?
If you lived in braska, you'd prolly start flipping out too! :D

unwillingness to sit a clearly rattled QB even for one series to get his head back in the game and calmed down.

This might sound intelligent to the boys in the break room at the insurance company or where ever you work, but to anyone who’s ever actually called a football game, this is so silly. You’re talking about throwing a freshman quarterback in in a one score game on the road at the big house, where the defense is teeing off and the offensive line cannot protect. Seriously, there’s a reason Kirk has Bill Belicheck’s home phone number and you get TPS report memos. Do you seriously think KF, KOK, and BF are in the dark about the mental state of their starting QB? There’s no communication between offensive series? There’s no chance that what we’re seeing is the absolute best our guys can do against a defense loaded with 4 and 5 stars on the road?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT