ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Pride, it began during the 1974 season for me ...

cidsports

HB King
My first game at Kinnick was 41 years ago this season, when 0-1 Iowa beat UCLA in Bob Commings home debut. Iowa was blasted to kickoff the season in Ann Arbor in a Big Ten season opener.

It was a great way to kickoff my passion for Iowa Football with family and friends with an upset victory over

The 2015 season will soon kickoff. The Hawkeye fanbase is frustrated in many respects. Iowa has fallen short over the past five seasons.

It has been 11 years now, since Iowa and Michigan won a share of the Big Ten. Iowa's last real shot for a title was in 2009 in Columbus.

Last year, Iowa fell back to back at Kinnick to lose out in obtaining its first division and a birth in the Big Ten titile game.

The trophy case stands empty. Much like 1974, when I became a Hawk Fan.

I am excited about the 2015 season. There are more questions, than answers right now. Depth, playmaking and offensive coaching how have to be resolved.

This season reminds me of a mix of 2007 and 2013. The 2008 season plays in the mix, as well.

Iowa has talent for success. They don't have known depth, so new players and new starters must step up during the 2015 season, but I am going to take a view of some optimism heading into 2015.

I am glad C.J. Beathard was named #1 QB. I am also looking forward to the development in time of others at QB. But, here's to Beathard shining over the next two seasons.

Iowa needs OC Greg Davis to succeed here. This is one of the most frustrating hires by Kirk Ferentz over the past 17 years, since he replaced Hayden Fry in December 1998.

In 1981, we first learned the name Kirk Ferentz, in Hawkeye history. It was one of the Top 5 seasons of all-time as a Hawkeye fan. The season opener was one of the Top 5 games of all-time for me.

I am rooting for a solid season in 2015.

1. Favorable season
2. Good mix of veterans and young players on the roster.
3. The coaching staff should be ready to mesh, after 1+ to 4 seasons together.
4. Iowa should develop in the offense and defensive lines ...
5. Improved special teams.

We shall see this September. Happy 60th birthday to Kirk Ferentz. Thank you for the past 25 years of service to the Hawkeye family.

1989 was a disappointment in the 100th season, though it became a popular album for Taylor Swift and was the birth year for our youngest. The 125th season for the Hawkeyes was a disappointment, as well at 7-6.

Here's to 2015 and the Iowa Hawkeyes entering another positive trend for my family and fellow Hawkeye fam ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News