ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Radio

On a serious note, I listened to the post game last night and Dolph, bless his heart just struggles. Kept saying Purdue regarding stats even though it was NW. Then interviewed Drew Stevens, said he was from the same home state as Keith Duncan, South Carolina but it’s North Carolina, Dolph.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
On a serious note, I listened to the post game last night and Dolph, bless his heart just struggles. Kept saying Purdue regarding stats even though it was NW. Then interviewed Drew Stevens, said he was from the same home state as Keith Duncan, South Carolina but it’s North Carolina, Dolph.
Clearly a very low bar has been set for years now.

As a Stillers fan, Ol' Doodle can tell you that listening to Bill Hillgrove makes Dolph sound like Al Michaels.

Listened to the game against the Iggles today while doing yardwork and Doodle decided to try keeping track of the number of mistakes and misspeaks he had. Stopped counting at 30.....BEFORE HALFTIME. It's torture. Even Dolph doesn't screw up that many times.

Listen to the huskers play by play, one sounds like he did meth before kickoff and the other even when getting piss pounded makes it sound like they are winning.
I was up in Gopher country a number of years back .and listened to theirs. YUK.

I thought Zach Mackey, who did Iowa Baseball last year, was very good. He is an Iowa grad and did the Football play by play at Montana State where I think he won several broadcasting awards. I think this year he’s the sideline reporter for Va Tech. Great radio voice.

I really don't mind listening to games on the radio. Football or baseball. In fact sometimes I really enjoy it. I think it's because the commercials don't annoy me as much as they do on TV.

That said, Iowa needs a damn play by play guy on the radio! For Pete's sake! Dolph goes, "there's Williams off to the left WITH A HUGE HOLE! Ya see that's why we need a guy like this and he's gotten better every game. He's a junior who has blah blah blah. And the line too has improved blah blah blah blah........

Ok it's 2nd and 4"

FUUUUUUUCK Tell me what happened before you talk about the damn players!!!!!!!! Lol and he does it non stop! End rant.
Yep, this has been my beef as well. Tells you the play happened, but not what happened while he tells you all about a player's hometown or something. Meanwhile I'm sitting there thinking "Did we get the first down?" and incredulous that he didn't bother to pass that trivial piece of info on to the listeners.

Reactions: ichawk24 and DooBi
Dolph is good at creating an ambiance that is surrounding the event like football. He is terrible at play by play.

I once listened to a basketball game on a long drive home where he didn't set the time/score for over 7 minutes of game play...and that is in and out of a 4 minute play stoppage.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
Haven’t they “earned the right to go out on their terms” just like Saint Kirk?
Sadly, I think Dolphin and Podolak do have jobs here until they decide they no longer want to. I think for Dolphin the Hawkeyes and broadcasts are in his blood and all that comes with it he also loves-- problem is he is just not good at it anymore and I do think there's a longer older die hard crowd out there that likes him. With Podolak, as I said, he just needs his football fix and his current role provides that.

Sirius XM gives you the ability to listen to every broadcast team that's out there for every school. It's not a stretch to say our radio broadcast team is the worst that exists compared to everyone else.

To OP's point, Dolph does lose track of the game. I listened for part of the 3rd Q, and the call went " It's 1st and ten, a hand off to X a HUGE hole and what a run! It's now 2nd and 5." I was like WTF? NO TD?

I listened to the call vs fOSU and Podalak was bitching about CJ Stroud being in the game in the 4th quarter throwing passes. Basically said Stroud was "padding his Heisman stats". WTF Ed, he was doing that vs the number 1 defense in the country. Sounded bad.

Reactions: HawkPT and frydaze
To OP's point, Dolph does lose track of the game. I listened for part of the 3rd Q, and the call went " It's 1st and ten, a hand off to X a HUGE hole and what a run! It's now 2nd and 5." I was like WTF? NO TD?

I listened to the call vs fOSU and Podalak was bitching about CJ Stroud being in the game in the 4th quarter throwing passes. Basically said Stroud was "padding his Heisman stats". WTF Ed, he was doing that vs the number 1 defense in the country. Sounded bad.
Seriously, I've heard Dolphin talk about "he runs through a huge hole, big gain" and then turns out it was a 3-yard run. The latter part of his career resembles Zabel's-- you don't know whether to laugh or cry when hearing him.

As for Eddie, he just seems to run out of energy-- seems like he's somewhat bored anymore.

Last edited:
I really don't mind listening to games on the radio. Football or baseball. In fact sometimes I really enjoy it. I think it's because the commercials don't annoy me as much as they do on TV.

That said, Iowa needs a damn play by play guy on the radio! For Pete's sake! Dolph goes, "there's Williams off to the left WITH A HUGE HOLE! Ya see that's why we need a guy like this and he's gotten better every game. He's a junior who has blah blah blah. And the line too has improved blah blah blah blah........

Ok it's 2nd and 4"

FUUUUUUUCK Tell me what happened before you talk about the damn players!!!!!!!! Lol and he does it non stop! End rant.
Oh Dolph lol Every Hawk tackle the opponent is 'CRUSHED' even when pushed out of bounds. Then he really goes nuts when one of the Iowa try hards makes a play. And his love for hyphenated or certain names is hilarious 'Johnson COOL E ONUS' and ' Tony MO E AKI' were mentioned every play even if they were on the sidelines.
Hard to tell whether Dolph loves Kirk or saying' CRUSHED' more.
Then Eddie lol .... he doesn't even hide he doesn't want to be there anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT