ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Tailgater - July 28th

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Haven't seen much posted but this is a huge weekend for the 2021 class and beyond.

I have read where the following recruits will be there:

- Connor Colby - committed
- Jennings Dunker - committed
- Jayden Harrell - LB
- Jeff Bowie - DE
- Brody Brecht - WR
- Zach Twedt - Athlete (ISU verbal)
- Jameson Geers - TE
- Kyran Montgomery - DE
- Bryan Sanborn - LB
- Aaron Graves - DL - Class of 2022

Have not seen confirmation but they may be there:

- Griffin Liddle - DT
- Eddie Saidat - DE
- Carson Petlon - OL
- Henry Lutovsky - OL
- Willie Shaw - RB
- Dontrell Jackson - Dual-threat QB
- David Davidkov
- Mac Ulhein - LB
- Randolph Kpai - LB
- Riley Mahlman - OL
- Justin Walters - DB

I'm sure there are many more I do not know.

Big Question - Will T.J. Bollers be there, he is suppose to travel to Stanford and Cal in late July

Reactions: David1979
Haven't seen much posted but this is a huge weekend for the 2021 class and beyond.

- Jayden Harrell - LB
- Jeff Bowie - DE
- Brody Brecht - WR
- Jameson Geers - TE
- Kyran Montgomery - DE
- Bryan Sanborn - LB

- Griffin Liddle - DT
- Eddie Saidat - DE
- Carson Petlon - OL
- Henry Lutovsky - OL
- Willie Shaw - RB
- David Davidkov
- Mac Ulhein - LB
- Randolph Kpai - LB
- Riley Mahlman - OL
- Justin Walters - DB

Big Question - Will T.J. Bollers be there, he is suppose to travel to Stanford and Cal in late July

Saidat a legacy?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
- Randolph Kpai - LB
Good to see that Kpai might be visiting again. Very talented athlete. Iowa was the first to offer followed quickly by Nebraska, ISU, Minnesota, Indiana, and Oregon. Wisconsin, MSU, and others showing strong interest.

Background bio:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...i-recruiting-stock-continues-rise/3620273002/

From the article (quoting his HS coach):

Stadem points to 2017 South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year (and current Iowa Hawkeye) Seth Benson as the best linebacker he's ever seen in South Dakota.

But Kpai has the potential to be even better.

Whereas most defensive players don't necessarily stand out on film, Stadem said Kpai, not unlike Benson, has the speed, strength and flexibility to stand apart almost immediately.

"When I saw Randolph, I said that dude is a Big Ten linebacker," Stadem said. "For a young kid, he can use his body, he can use his length and he bends so well… He disrupts everything."

Iowa linebackers coach LeVar Woods came to a similar conclusion after watching just a couple minutes of Kpai's film earlier this year. He told Stadem he had seen enough and that they were going to offer him.

Sure enough, at Iowa's junior day in February, the Hawkeyes offered Kpai his first scholarship. He was overcome with emotion.

"I was speechless," Kpai said. "It was amazing."

Hopefully this return visit will rekindle that amazement.

Last edited:

- Jayden Harrell - LB
- Jeff Bowie - DE
- Brody Brecht - WR
- Jameson Geers - TE
- Kyran Montgomery - DE
- Bryan Sanborn - LB

- Griffin Liddle - DT
- Eddie Saidat - DE
- Carson Petlon - OL
- Henry Lutovsky - OL
- Willie Shaw - RB
- David Davidkov
- Mac Ulhein - LB
- Randolph Kpai - LB
- Riley Mahlman - OL
- Justin Walters - DB

We confirmed Liddle and Shaw previously.

Bollers is visiting Stanford and Cal that week, not Iowa.

The in-state guys that don't have offers like Lutovsky, Petlon, and Saidat haven't been invited.

- Jayden Harrell - LB
- Jeff Bowie - DE
- Brody Brecht - WR
- Jameson Geers - TE
- Kyran Montgomery - DE
- Bryan Sanborn - LB

- Griffin Liddle - DT
- Eddie Saidat - DE
- Carson Petlon - OL
- Henry Lutovsky - OL
- Willie Shaw - RB
- David Davidkov
- Mac Ulhein - LB
- Randolph Kpai - LB
- Riley Mahlman - OL
- Justin Walters - DB

Also, Bryan Sanborn isn't for sure yet.

Here is the full list we reported 3 weeks ago.

Kyran Montgomery - 6-foot-5, 215-pound 2021 DE from Indianapolis, IN (Iowa offer)
Jaden Harrell - 6-foot-2, 215-pound 2021 LB from Urbandale, IA (Iowa offer)
Jeff Bowie - 6-foot-5, 242-pound 2021 DE from West Branch, IA (Iowa offer)
Griffin Liddle - 6-foot-4, 255-pound 2021 DT from Bettendorf, IA (Iowa offer)
Zach Twedt - 6-foot-3, 205-pound 2021 LB from Story City, IA (Iowa offer - ISU commit)
Jameson Geers - 6-foot-5, 225-pound 2021 TE from New Lenox, IL (Iowa offer)
Keontez Lewis - 6-foot-1, 170-pound 2021 WR from East St. Louis, IL (Iowa offer)
Tyler Macon - 6-foot-0, 180-pound 2021 QB from East St. Louis, IL (Iowa offer)
Willie Shaw - 5-foot-11, 180-pound 2021 RB from Chicago, IL (Iowa offer)
Brody Brecht - 6-foot-4, 193-pound 2021 WR from Ankeny, IA (Iowa offer)
Justin Walters - 6-foot-1, 170-pound 2021 DB from Bolingbrook, IL (Iowa offer)
Braelon Allen - 6-foot-1, 200-pound 2022 DB from Fon Du Lac, WI (Iowa offer)
Beau Stephens - 6-foot-6, 320-pound 2021 OL from Blue Springs, MO
Isaac Thompson - 6-foot-2, 190-pound 2022 ATH from St. Louis, MO
Connor Colby - 6-foot-6, 275-pound 2021 OL from Cedar Rapids, IA (Iowa commit)
Gennings Dunker - 6-foot-5, 265-pound 2021 OL from Lena, IL (Iowa commit)
Aaron Graves - 6-foot-4, 230-pound 2022 DE from Gowrie, IA (Iowa commit)

Good to see that Kpai might be visiting again. Very talented athlete. Iowa was the first to offer followed quickly by Nebraska, ISU, Minnesota, Indiana, and Oregon. Wisconsin, MSU, and others showing strong interest.

Background bio:
https://www.argusleader.com/story/s...i-recruiting-stock-continues-rise/3620273002/

From the article (quoting his HS coach):

Stadem points to 2017 South Dakota Gatorade Player of the Year (and current Iowa Hawkeye) Seth Benson as the best linebacker he's ever seen in South Dakota.

But Kpai has the potential to be even better.

Whereas most defensive players don't necessarily stand out on film, Stadem said Kpai, not unlike Benson, has the speed, strength and flexibility to stand apart almost immediately.

"When I saw Randolph, I said that dude is a Big Ten linebacker," Stadem said. "For a young kid, he can use his body, he can use his length and he bends so well… He disrupts everything."

Iowa linebackers coach LeVar Woods came to a similar conclusion after watching just a couple minutes of Kpai's film earlier this year. He told Stadem he had seen enough and that they were going to offer him.

Sure enough, at Iowa's junior day in February, the Hawkeyes offered Kpai his first scholarship. He was overcome with emotion.

"I was speechless," Kpai said. "It was amazing."

Hopefully this return visit will rekindle that amazement.
Kpai is visiting Minnesota that weekend, not Iowa.

We confirmed Liddle and Shaw previously.

Bollers is visiting Stanford and Cal that week, not Iowa.

The in-state guys that don't have offers like Lutovsky, Petlon, and Saidat haven't been invited.

I know Bollers wants to be a national recruit and he likes the California school's academics but his timing is disconcerting. The tailgate is one of the best opportunities for players to bond with each other. I don't get a very good feeling about him being a Hawk.

I know Bollers wants to be a national recruit and he likes the California school's academics but his timing is disconcerting. The tailgate is one of the best opportunities for players to bond with each other. I don't get a very good feeling about him being a Hawk.

My feeling is the same I have for Xavier Foster. I'm cautiously optimistic. But wouldn't bet the farm on it.

It may be the only time he can get out there. He has been to Iowa many times and will be there again.

Reactions: TKingpin
Definitely the only time he can get out to California this summer since he's squeezing the visit in between the end of baseball season and the start of football practice.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Jordan Young will be there. Corner from Tampa with Alabama and Florida offers. Same school as Dane Belton and Connor McLaughlin.

Last edited:
Reactions: David1979
Definitely the only time he can get out to California this summer since he's squeezing the visit in between the end of baseball season and the start of football practice.

I know he has visited many times, unfortunate he won't have a chance to meet some of the other prospects. I'm sure he has met Colby, Harrell, Liddle and Bowie from other visits so maybe it isn't a big deal. Keeping all of the top prospects in 2021 in state and Hawk commits could be huge for a very strong class.

ADVERTISEMENT