ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2021-2022

Here's the boxscore for today's U19 game.

USA leads 27-11 after Q1. Minutes being spread quite evenly amongst the whole roster thus far.

Clark, when she's in, seems to be playing the 2, or at least off the ball more than running the point. Quite a contrast from how we're used to seeing her play for us.

Here's the boxscore for today's U19 game.

USA leads 27-11 after Q1. Minutes being spread quite evenly amongst the whole roster thus far.

Clark, when she's in, seems to be playing the 2, or at least off the ball more than running the point. Quite a contrast from how we're used to seeing her play for us.
Her footwork on defense seems slower than the rest of the team Missed some switches on defense but she's trying to hustle. She needs to hold her ground better of defense. I though she could have taken some charges a few times when she was just run over trying to play D. I think she might be playing the 2 simply because Citron is a more athletic guard. I don't have a problem with Clark playing the two but she's barely getting touches. There's much more movement when she's not in the game. Perhaps there is something to the idea of other players not liking her because she's certainly not getting any love. Ultimately though I think it reflects poorly more on Coach Close who seems content to pull Clark and sit her on the bench rather than coach the team to share the ball. Even though there were rumors of Clark not being liked by some Iowa players, it didn't effect the offense.

Reactions: tigerhawkfan2
Pretty tough on her Gabe !
I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to be critical of Clark just offering my analysis of what I saw today. Her play was much improved in the second half and she showed what she can do when she got more touches as her second half scoring shows. Her defense was improved in the 2nd half as well but she does need to work on her defensive footwork. Developing lateral quickness takes time and the Iowa S&C staff needs to focus on improving her lateral quickness. She used to playing offensive basketball so the muscle memory required to play great defense is not nearly as developed. She was also playing out of position on defense and seemed to be defending the SF and playing quite a bit defensively in the paint which is not something she was asked to do at Iowa. I still think Clark is an elite guard. Her shooting and passing is excellent. But she has always been somewhat weaker defensively due to the system she's accustomed to playing in. It was always going to take time for that side of her game to develop. Even Doyle who finished her Hawkeye career as an elite defender struggled early in her career. I trust the S&C staff to develop her body to allow her to be a better defender. She has the IQ to play defense but her hip movement and lateral movement still need work to be elite.

Reactions: undersized_post
You were very critical during the season of posters who were analyzing the play of some of the role players. Yet you have no problem of providing detailed analysis of Clark’s game. Just wondering if you have an ax to grind against arguably one of the better to ever wear the Hawk uniform.

Her footwork on defense seems slower than the rest of the team Missed some switches on defense but she's trying to hustle. She needs to hold her ground better of defense. I though she could have taken some charges a few times when she was just run over trying to play D. I think she might be playing the 2 simply because Citron is a more athletic guard. I don't have a problem with Clark playing the two but she's barely getting touches. There's much more movement when she's not in the game. Perhaps there is something to the idea of other players not liking her because she's certainly not getting any love. Ultimately though I think it reflects poorly more on Coach Close who seems content to pull Clark and sit her on the bench rather than coach the team to share the ball. Even though there were rumors of Clark not being liked by some Iowa players, it didn't effect the offense.
I don't necessarily think Coach Close made a bad decision by subbing Clark out in the first half. She was a bit off, by her standards, while the "bench" players (who would be starting on any other team) played lights out. So it was a good coaching move IMO. It's also good to get everyone's feet wet in the first game when the stakes are low. Clark got her time to shine in the third quarter.

What's the tea on Clark not being liked by certain teammates?? Hadn't heard anything about this.

You were very critical during the season of posters who were analyzing the play of some of the role players. Yet you have no problem of providing detailed analysis of Clark’s game. Just wondering if you have an ax to grind against arguably one of the better to ever wear the Hawk uniform.
I don't have an axe to grind. I've been very complimentary of Clark's offensive skillset. She's an elite player offensively. I don't think anyone should be shocked that Clark needs to improve defensively as it was a weakness for every Iowa player last year. I try to be fair when I'm analyzing players. I'm going to defend players when criticism is overly broad. I've also been critical of other players in areas they lack and offered praise where they excel. And I've been critical of Coach B also. I won't ever say a player sucks. Instead I really try to provide a detailed analysis of a player's skills as I've always done, even back when I was covering WBB for rivals almost 20 years ago. I'm sure if you go back and read through my posts on the season you will find criticism for the role players as well and very high volume of posts praising Clark's offense skills as well as some praise for her on the ball defense and quick hands. But it's not a surprise that her overall defense still needs work and I really think that she will be a elite player overall, including defensively, by the time she graduates.

I don't necessarily judge Coach Close. Clark was a bit off in the first half and the "bench" players (who would be starting on any other team) played lights out. So it was a good coaching move IMO. It's also good to get everyone's feet wet in the first game, which was against a pretty weak opponent. Clark got her time to shine in the third quarter.

What's the tea on Clark not being liked by certain teammates?? Hadn't heard anything about this.
There were whisperings of players wanting to transfer because they didn't like Clark. Meyer transferred but that was likely more due to PT. I don't know how much of the rumors are true. Clark didn't get touches in the first half today, but got plenty in the 2nd half which makes me wonder why she didn't get many touches. But in games things happen in the moment that don't make sense sometimes so all the whisperings could all just be BS.

Teams like the one Clark is on now are full of players who have been the #1 or #2 scoring option for their team for their entire life to this point. It's not surprising to me that they aren't great at sharing the ball. Especially not in a game that was a blowout early. I really don't think a player getting more or less touches in a given game says anything about whether their teammates like them.

Seriously Gabe??? And I didn't need to watch the game or your analysis either....
I try to be fair in my analysis and that includes acknowledging rumors even if they are only that. I'm not going to pretend the rumors that lingered most of last season did not exist. Even rumors can change the way a teammate interacts with a player which is why I acknowledged them.

I seem to recall quite a few posters ripping Clark last season, saying she is a bitch and immature and ranting about her antics on the court. I vehemently defended Clark on numerous occasions and shared several interviews Clark had done so people had a chance to see Clark's personality. I've been on the record numerous times saying that she is a great player as well as a great person. If you don't care for my analysis -- don't read it. Simple as that.

Reactions: cyberhawk
she’s leading the team in scoring and assists overall in the tournament isn’t she? the game against Egypt yesterday I thought she had some great passes that set up other players to get assist simply flipping to a big for a layup...... that doesn’t show up on stats
I honestly thought sometimes she was too unselfish....... when you’re playing on a national all star team and blowing out opponents by 50 points I think it changes the way you play
I was a wrestler.... don’t know shit about basketball so take it for what it’s worth but I understand she’s the oldest player on that team and has a much different role than playing at Iowa and thought she has been handling it well.....all. I know is we’re lucky she’s a Hawk

There were whisperings of players wanting to transfer because they didn't like Clark. Meyer transferred but that was likely more due to PT. I don't know how much of the rumors are true. Clark didn't get touches in the first half today, but got plenty in the 2nd half which makes me wonder why she didn't get many touches. But in games things happen in the moment that don't make sense sometimes so all the whisperings could all just be BS.

Linden Jensen

Sorry it didn’t work out for her, but Lauren Jensen was never going to get playing time.
Forgot about Lauren Jensen. I don't know if I would say she was never going to get playing time. She really struggled to find her shot last season. Her game needed more time to develop and she was more of a 3 playing behind Martin and Taiwo who are just more rounded at this point in the game. Her playing time was going to be limited but she could have played sparingly this season and been a full time back up next season and possible starter by her senior year. Her inconsistent shooting and being lost of defense hurt her chances at playing time.

I also think it's really challenging for Iowa to find the right fit for the 5 out system as you need players that are versatile enough to play at least two if not three positions very well. If you're lucky you get four players like Clark and Martin that can play four positions well and then a center with range (not necessarily a 3 point shooter but it helps). Jensen didn't have the handles to be a more traditional PG and her shooting was inconsistent. She didn't really show much for driving ability or in the low post. In the end, she probably was not a good fit for the system and made a good career move by transferring.

And with the addition of Feuerbach, and Affolter I think they saw the writing on the wall (so to speak). 8 players for 3 positions doesn't leave much playing time. And with all of them sophomore and younger really has an impact.

Lauren Jensen was actually recruited as a point guard but that all changed when Caitlin Clark decided on Iowa. She worked a little as a back up point guard early in the season but settled in as a 2 guard in Iowa's 4-1 read & react offense. We really didn't get to see enough of her to come to a conclusion on her ability in Iowa's system. It was a situation where she was recruited over & decided to go elsewhere to start fresh. Wish her the best.

I don't necessarily think Coach Close made a bad decision by subbing Clark out in the first half. She was a bit off, by her standards, while the "bench" players (who would be starting on any other team) played lights out. So it was a good coaching move IMO. It's also good to get everyone's feet wet in the first game when the stakes are low. Clark got her time to shine in the third quarter.

There are very few "superstars", those who dominate the ball and game, especially those who are younger than the rest of the team, who are universally liked by their teammates.

This makes me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure why. Maybe its because we're already bombarded with advertising from all angles. I've followed quite a few players on Twitter over the years, but dropping them as soon as they start 'hawking' their crap. I'm sure they'll miss me. ;)
I guess I don't have an issue with it as she is supporting a small business and the shirt itself is a neat design. It's a little pricey for a T-Shirt but anything that's small batch typically is. 2XL is already sold out or I might have ordered one. I'm less upset that it's Clark because she is a female and she won't have the opportunities to earn the kind of money the men do playing in the NBA. Still better than the Carlos O'Kelly's commercial made by the football team (it was a really lame commercial)

I guess I'm more surprised that the item is what it is. I was really expecting something Nike with a FIBA logo that was to be marketed and sold in mass quantity given her success in the FIBA World Cup. Perhaps we will still see something like that in the future. Or Maybe a Caitlyn Clark edition basketball .

I do think, however, that choosing something small and personalized for her first merchandising sale says something about her character. I'm sure she's gotten several offers for things already. Could be her strategy is to tailor her deals to other independently owned shops which is pretty cool because it's more supporting a cause than just chasing the $$$.

"I do think, however, that choosing something small and personalized for her first merchandising sale says something about her character. I'm sure she's gotten several offers for things already. Could be her strategy is to tailor her deals to other independently owned shops which is pretty cool because it's more supporting a cause than just chasing the $$$."

Good citizen. Yet another reason to like the girl.

This makes me uncomfortable, but I'm not sure why. Maybe its because we're already bombarded with advertising from all angles. I've followed quite a few players on Twitter over the years, but dropping them as soon as they start 'hawking' their crap. I'm sure they'll miss me. ;)
It’s a free country (right now) where at least at the moment we can choose how to spend disposable income. I choose to spend mine on tickets and tv subscriptions to watch games. Many of the players will find out the market for their brand isn’t significant. Clark I would imagine will make a good amount of money.

If this year's team improves their defensive rebounding to a respectable level I think they have a real shot at the F4. I ended up switching channels in a few games last year, not willing to watch one more opponent possession where they get 3 or 4 shot attempts off usually ending in another score.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT