ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

We'll see what Maryland, Michigan, and Indiana can do yet in the transfer portal, but as of right now we are significantly better than each of those teams on paper. If we dominate the Big Ten and win a couple big non-conference games, a #1 seed next year is absolutely possible. Right now, the only 3 elite programs I see are South Carolina, UConn, and Stanford, and even Stanford has questions about its guard depth.

Reactions: hawkahawk
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/hawkeye-women’s-bball-season-2021-2022.363997/page-46

Reactions: jockos
Already ranked ahead of ISU.
I doubt very much that the person who did the ranking knew that Ashley Joens was coming back for a fifth season. The Twister Sisters were better than the Hawkettes this year and return the entire roster. They started three sophomores, one junior and Ashley.

I doubt very much that the person who did the ranking knew that Ashley Joens was coming back for a fifth season. The Twister Sisters were better than the Hawkettes this year and return the entire roster. They started three sophomores, one junior and Ashley.
Actually every "way too early" ranking I've seen has been done after Ashley's announcement and each have had Iowa ranked just in front of Iowa State.

I know Iowa State won the game last year, but that was also a road game for Iowa and Iowa was just coming back from its Covid pause. Iowa was also seeded higher in the NCAA Tournament, and both teams lost to the same team in the tournament.

Personally, I think Iowa is the slightly better team. That said, Joens is obviously a great player, and I also really like Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski. A combined Iowa-Iowa State roster would probably have the offensive firepower to compete for a national title.

Actually every "way too early" ranking I've seen has been done after Ashley's announcement and each have had Iowa ranked just in front of Iowa State.

I know Iowa State won the game last year, but that was also a road game for Iowa and Iowa was just coming back from its Covid pause. Iowa was also seeded higher in the NCAA Tournament, and both teams lost to the same team in the tournament.

Personally, I think Iowa is the slightly better team. That said, Joens is obviously a great player, and I also really like Emily Ryan and Lexi Donarski. A combined Iowa-Iowa State roster would probably have the offensive firepower to compete for a national title.
I think a combined team would be fun to watch, but wouldn't have the sheer bulk and muscle to beat the top two or three teams. And if we're nitpicking, playing Creighton on a neutral court is somewhat different than playing before a sellout crowd at home. I mean, if it's a factor when Iowa plays on the road, it's also a factor when Iowa plays at home :)

But I wouldn't put money on either team in the head-to-head next year. I said ISU was better this year because it won the game and went further in the tournament, But I don't disagree with your comments.

I think a combined team would be fun to watch, but wouldn't have the sheer bulk and muscle to beat the top two or three teams. And if we're nitpicking, playing Creighton on a neutral court is somewhat different than playing before a sellout crowd at home. I mean, if it's a factor when Iowa plays on the road, it's also a factor when Iowa plays at home :)

But I wouldn't put money on either team in the head-to-head next year. I said ISU was better this year because it won the game and went further in the tournament, But I don't disagree with your comments.
In my mind Iowa and Iowa State's losses to Creighton are similar. Iowa did lose at home, but Iowa also led by as many as 4 in the 4th quarter and only lost by 2. Iowa State was down by 8 heading to the 4th quarter, was down double-digits for portions of the 4th quarter, and lost by 8.

I know in football they say home field advantage gives the home team approximately a 3 point edge. Not sure what that is in basketball, but as I said, I consider the losses similar when factoring in where the games were played. I can understand the position of those who don't, though.

Does the team still do team practices right after the season is over? I wonder how Clark rolled her ankle.

i get emotional about passion.
all you regular posters are too.
i am new to this.
hawks with caitlin will go as her supporting cast
also delivers.
monica back is a blessing and makes us a top 10 team.
the supporting cast is talented with flaws and inconsistencies.
a 3rd scorer, a regular scorer is needed to make us a
final 4 calibre team.
as i read we all know it.
our defense is ... our defense.
our rebounding is ... our rebounding.
good enough to win big 10 and the BTT.
but we know is that as teams plan against us
its easy let monica or caitlin do what they do
and LET the others beat us. shut down 1 of our 2 scorers
and our flaws or inconsistencies beat us.
our team and new recruits ... will let us contend.
and be very respectful. actually much more that respectful.
BUT.... for us now and in the future elite 8's
are necessary. For incoming recruits like Greenway or
Olivia Olsen and many more ...

that said ... we need a 3rd scorer. we need that player
that from the onset ... is the glue .. NO offense to Kate
as she is the team leader. When Mich added Leigha Brown
she took them from good to a team to be reckoned with.
there is always something. You dont go to the portal for
defense. our defense is our defense and can when needed is
is pretty good.
we need a cover player.. when caitlin or monica dont have it
then WHO.

I LOVE Abbey Meyers Princeton.

ok ... long thoughts but this is world of transfer portal.

this morning after thinking of diasters at maryland and
minnesota ..

i see indiana peeking in and adding syndey parrish.
thats fine. she hasnt light it up in 2 years. you do or dont.

i look at michigan who has lost a lot ... but has some parts.
leigha brown, my favorite Liala Phelia, ...

but dont be surprised ... IF pg MOLLY DAVIS from
Central Michigan ... great player ends up at Mich or Indiana.

these teams Mich Indiana lost heavy But now ...

to end ...
transfers are soon need to hook with teams

i think we need a scorer.
maybe scalia. maybe abbey meyer

maybe START ....... my favorite ... TAYLOR MCCABE

Reactions: nu2u and Suterman
Hoping Taylor is solid enough to work her way into starting spot by mid season.

Good teams are dipping into the portal and we need to do the same. Picking up a defender/rebounder would be nice.

Reactions: nu2u and crstuff
i get emotional about passion.
all you regular posters are too.
i am new to this.
hawks with caitlin will go as her supporting cast
also delivers.
monica back is a blessing and makes us a top 10 team.
the supporting cast is talented with flaws and inconsistencies.
a 3rd scorer, a regular scorer is needed to make us a
final 4 calibre team.
as i read we all know it.
our defense is ... our defense.
our rebounding is ... our rebounding.
good enough to win big 10 and the BTT.
but we know is that as teams plan against us
its easy let monica or caitlin do what they do
and LET the others beat us. shut down 1 of our 2 scorers
and our flaws or inconsistencies beat us.
our team and new recruits ... will let us contend.
and be very respectful. actually much more that respectful.
BUT.... for us now and in the future elite 8's
are necessary. For incoming recruits like Greenway or
Olivia Olsen and many more ...

that said ... we need a 3rd scorer. we need that player
that from the onset ... is the glue .. NO offense to Kate
as she is the team leader. When Mich added Leigha Brown
she took them from good to a team to be reckoned with.
there is always something. You dont go to the portal for
defense. our defense is our defense and can when needed is
is pretty good.
we need a cover player.. when caitlin or monica dont have it
then WHO.

I LOVE Abbey Meyers Princeton.

ok ... long thoughts but this is world of transfer portal.

this morning after thinking of diasters at maryland and
minnesota ..

i see indiana peeking in and adding syndey parrish.
thats fine. she hasnt light it up in 2 years. you do or dont.

i look at michigan who has lost a lot ... but has some parts.
leigha brown, my favorite Liala Phelia, ...

but dont be surprised ... IF pg MOLLY DAVIS from
Central Michigan ... great player ends up at Mich or Indiana.

these teams Mich Indiana lost heavy But now ...

to end ...
transfers are soon need to hook with teams

i think we need a scorer.
maybe scalia. maybe abbey meyer

maybe START ....... my favorite ... TAYLOR MCCABE
When I first saw this, I half-expected it to rhyme.

Hoping Taylor is solid enough to work her way into starting spot by mid season.

Good teams are dipping into the portal and we need to do the same. Picking up a defender/rebounder would be nice.

Send Lisa an email.

Reactions: HIWILLE
IU Women added former McDonald’s AA from Oregon, 6’2”Sydney Parrish, who was Indiana Miss Basketball in ‘20. Started and Averaged 8.3/3.3. Will play the 2 or 3. Has 3 years left.

Also added a 6’4” girl from Providence by way of Nazareth Academy in the Chicago Suburbs. Can’t recall her name, but has 1 year left and averaged 9.4/4.5 boards. Should take Gulbe’s spot at the 4.

I am hoping that Stuelke gives us that athletic 3/4 that can both post up and shoot from outside. Also hoping that McCabe can be the 2nd coming of Melissa Dixon. Naturally, I am hoping both are better at boxing out and defense than the current starters at those positions.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I am hoping that Stuelke gives us that athletic 3/4 that can both post up and shoot from outside. Also hoping that McCabe can be the 2nd coming of Melissa Dixon. Naturally, I am hoping both are better at boxing out and defense than the current starters at those positions.
Stuelke shot 34% from 3pt get senior year which isn't stellar. But looking at her attempts, she barley shot 3s her first 3 years of high school and increased her accuracy by 10% from junior to senior year.

She seems capable if that's what the coaches want from her, if she puts in the work.

Looking at Clark, Marshall, Warnock and McCabe's 3pt %, I would coach Stuelke to drive and kick.

Reactions: undersized_post
Your constant denigration of the Iowa Women's team by calling them "hawkettes" has worn really thin. Maybe try being less of a misogynist.

Didn't know where to put this... For those of us who were here in the early fall of 2019 we had a discussion about whether Caitlin Clark had committed to Notre Dame before de-committing to come to Iowa. Connor & Patrick McCaffery had Monika on their podcast where it was confirmed, about the 43 minute mark. The whole podcast is a great listen...

The Big Ten Women's Tourney is moving to Minneapolis for the next two years.

On a personal note, I actually live in Indiana so I'm disappointed! Will miss the convenience of being able to attend the tournament while sleeping in my own bed each night.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK

The Big Ten Women's Tourney is moving to Minneapolis for the next two years.

On a personal note, I actually live in Indiana so I'm disappointed! Will miss the convenience of being able to attend the tournament while sleeping in my own bed each night.
This marginally helps us because if we matchup with Indiana again in the next two tournaments, at least we won't be playing what is effectively a road game. I doubt Minnesota gets to a level where it will be competing to win the tournament the next two seasons.

This move might impact attendance somewhat, though. Indianapolis was somewhat centrally located for the conference. Minneapolis certainly isn't. I'm in Eastern Iowa, so Minneapolis is actually a slightly longer drive than Indianapolis.

Stuelke shot 34% from 3pt get senior year which isn't stellar. But looking at her attempts, she barley shot 3s her first 3 years of high school and increased her accuracy by 10% from junior to senior year.

She seems capable if that's what the coaches want from her, if she puts in the work.

Looking at Clark, Marshall, Warnock and McCabe's 3pt %, I would coach Stuelke to drive and kick.
Different levels, defense etc. but 34% would be 4th best on the Iowa team this past year, ahead of some player named Clark.

I thought CC 38% this year. Damn! School takes the focus of jumpers I guess....
Caitlin's three point shooting last year was really strange. I'm not sure if it was just the inconsistencies in the schedule or if Covid had an impact on her, but she shot extremely poorly the first few months of the season. I think at one point she was at something like 23%.

Then in conference play her shooting started to improve, and was back to normal by the end of the season. She shot 37% from three in conference games, and that includes the first few games where she was still off.

Reactions: crstuff
This marginally helps us because if we matchup with Indiana again in the next two tournaments, at least we won't be playing what is effectively a road game. I doubt Minnesota gets to a level where it will be competing to win the tournament the next two seasons.

This move might impact attendance somewhat, though. Indianapolis was somewhat centrally located for the conference. Minneapolis certainly isn't. I'm in Eastern Iowa, so Minneapolis is actually a slightly longer drive than Indianapolis.
Minneapolis is an hour closer to Iowa City vs Indianapolis.
Attendance at the B1G championship is disappointing. They may be hoping for better attendance it just being in a B1G city...or more likely, Minneapolis simply outbid Indianapolis.

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
Minneapolis is an hour closer to Iowa City vs Indianapolis.
Attendance at the B1G championship is disappointing. They may be hoping for better attendance it just being in a B1G city...or more likely, Minneapolis simply outbid Indianapolis.

I think it's good to change venues to half a dozen arenas every couple of years for the attendance factor,

“I am very thankful for my teammates and the relationships that I’ve built at CMU the past three years. It was not an easy decision, but I had to make a decision that was best for me and my future,” Davis said Saturday morning. “I chose Iowa because of the people. I am very thankful (to) Coach Bluder and the staff for giving me the opportunity to play at such a great university with amazing people.”

“Simply put, I get to play and learn from the best player in the country,” Davis said of joining Clark in the Hawkeyes’ backcourt. “I’m more excited to learn than anything.”

Asked about her goals for her first season at Iowa, Davis replied, “To come in and compete, work hard, and take advantage of every opportunity that I get.”

“I am very thankful for my teammates and the relationships that I’ve built at CMU the past three years. It was not an easy decision, but I had to make a decision that was best for me and my future,” Davis said Saturday morning. “I chose Iowa because of the people. I am very thankful (to) Coach Bluder and the staff for giving me the opportunity to play at such a great university with amazing people.”

“Simply put, I get to play and learn from the best player in the country,” Davis said of joining Clark in the Hawkeyes’ backcourt. “I’m more excited to learn than anything.”

Asked about her goals for her first season at Iowa, Davis replied, “To come in and compete, work hard, and take advantage of every opportunity that I get.”
sounds like a great kid

Reactions: blackett73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT