ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

The board is overrun by so many negative WBB threads right now that I just want to stick to this one and keep things positive:

THANK YOU to Monika and McKenna for their amazing careers. I will miss watching them play.
And thanks to all the players, coaches, and staff for their contributions to an incredible journey. It may not have ended the way we wanted it to, but that's life sometimes. We got plenty of lifelong memories along the way.

Who is transferring? My guess Wetering and Ediger w/ an outside chance of McCabe.....
I'm highly skeptical of transfer rumors originating on a rival team's forum. That said, here's how I would categorize transfer risks.

Not Transferring: Clark, Marshall, Martin, Stuelke.

Would Need A Waiver (So Highly Unlikely): Feuerbach, Davis

I'd Be Shocked: Ediger, Affolter

I Wouldn't be Shocked: Gyamfi, McCabe, Goodman, O'Grady, Wetering

The categories are mostly based upon playing time with O'Grady and Ediger switched. Ediger is higher because she seems to enjoy the University and being on the team in her current role. O'Grady is lower because I'm not sure the issue between the role she wanted to play and the role the coaches want her to play ever got resolved. She did play some big minutes in the last few games, though, so maybe it did.

Goodman and Wetering could be higher. If playing time was a huge concern for either they could've transferred last off-season.

McCabe is the wildcard to me. I can see her being a starter in 2024-2025, but with the entire backcourt returning for next year, I'm not sure she has much of a role next season. Will she want to wait an extra year to play?

I'm highly skeptical of transfer rumors originating on a rival team's forum. That said, here's how I would categorize transfer risks.

The categories are mostly based upon playing time with O'Grady and Ediger switched. Ediger is higher because she seems to enjoy the University and being on the team in her current role. O'Grady is lower because I'm not sure the issue between the role she wanted to play and the role the coaches want her to play ever got resolved. She did play some big minutes in the last few games, though, so maybe it did.

Goodman and Wetering could be higher. If playing time was a huge concern for either they could've transferred last off-season.

McCabe is the wildcard to me. I can see her being a starter in 2024-2025, but with the entire backcourt returning for next year, I'm not sure she has much of a role next season. Will she want to wait an extra year to play?
I think you're close. Flip-flop Ediger and Goodman and i think you're spot-on. Based on my observations of the bench I think Goodman is happy w/ her role even though the minutes aren't there. Ediger was highly rated and seems to have been passed by O'Grady later in the year, so I could see her looking elsewhere so she could play more.

Reactions: LinusPF

Just a note that this rando person on CF may have just seen someone on this very board say “I think 2 could transfer” and relayed that lol.

Still, doesn’t mean we’re immune to transfers. It’s hard for me to pick anyone as *likely* to transfer bc there’s a compelling argument to be made for everyone to stay. It hasn’t seemed like there were any outstanding chemistry issues either.

Furthermore, I actually was very surprised when Bluder asked 3 seniors to return tbh bc I found it hard to believe she would tie her own hands with regard to the portal, and I couldn’t help but wonder if she knew someone was on their way out…

My ”0 chance of leaving”: Clark, Marshall, Davis, Martin. They’ve all committed to play for Iowa next year, not just come back and play somewhere.

I’d be shocked:
  • Feuerbach — absolutely loves the team, including Clark (her roommate) and will certainly get minutes next year if not start. Bluder mentioned she was taking big strides in the off-season before her injury. The waiver thing is also a good point. I think she is very happy at Iowa after being not happy at Iowa State.
  • Affolter and Stuelke — basically the same reasons, except the obvious.
In short, I think Bluder has big plans for all 3 of these players and the chemistry is there for all of them. If they want out, she will fight for them.

Wouldn’t be shocked: McCabe, Gyamfi, Goodman, Wetering.
  • They all could leave and find starting spots at other schools but may struggle with finding minutes at Iowa, potentially for the rest of their career. I think UNL would welcome McCabe with open arms, Goodman would likely start at Iowa State with their transfer issues.
  • Gyamfi and McCabe are at least young enough they should have a bit more runway (and the 3 freshman seem to be thick as thieves), but Goodman and Wetering might see the writing on the wall.
  • Wetering’s boyfriend runs track for Iowa tho. She could look somewhere like Drake, I would guess. Does Megan Meyer still has a year left?
  • Jada is interesting — a lot of may hinge on her upside and Bluder’s plans for her. We saw the least of her this yr. Bluder said it was due to her lingering injury, but none of us expected her to get much time. Is she athletic enough to fight her way to the top of the bench? I’d love others insight here. Bluder wants her at the 3 or 4, so that means after Martin leaves, she’ll likely be competing with Affolter, Gyamfi, Feuerbach and Wetering for minutes.
Most at risk:
  • Edigar — I just don’t see her breaking thru the rotation. I wonder if she would start somewhere like Creighton. But she also loves this team, the staff, her major.
  • O’Grady — We need a center, I agree she may not want to play that position. I keep coming back to this bc Bluder mentioned it a few times in the press, it was certainly a dynamic you can’t overlook. Not too dissimilar to Angel Reese’s situation at MD tbh. I have a hard time seeing O’Grady as a 4 in most top 25 programs, but she could be an impact player with her height alone at many schools. It rly seemed O’grady was high risk for awhile — due to playing time (and that “tough coaching” moment in the Rutgers game looms large) — but the post season was good to her. She is again firmly in the running to start next year IMO. But I’m not sure that’ll be enough.
I will also say, a lot of this is depth related, and when you play for NC-caliber team, you have to expect that cracking the starting 5 will be tough. I’m sure that for at least one of these SAs, that is undeniable and may just be a tough truth they (hopefully) accept and are willing to embrace alongside playing with their friends at a school they love.

There is also calculus here. I.e., if O’grady transfers, that’s potentially quite an opportunity for Goodman…

Skik I love your passion for the Hawkeye womens program but feel strongly the current team makeup is not adequate for another deep tournament run. I also feel a coach should not simply runoff a player but does need to be honest about future playing time. To be blunt we have some players who simply are not good enough to play at this level (will not mention names). Its certainly possible no player will elect to leave which is certainly their choice.

Reactions: DewHawk
Skik I love your passion for the Hawkeye womens program but feel strongly the current team makeup is not adequate for another deep tournament run. I also feel a coach should not simply runoff a player but does need to be honest about future playing time. To be blunt we have some players who simply are not good enough to play at this level (will not mention names). It’s certainly possible no player will elect to leave which is certainly their choice.
Totally. I wouldn’t be bummed if someone transfers for a more beneficial situation on their part, thereby allowing us to elevate our ceiling. But I won’t be bummed if we keep everyone either. I think there’s very little chance of Bluder running anyone off after investing years in their recruitment and development. Her responsibility is to them, not the fans.

Last edited:
Totally. I wouldn’t be bummed if someone transfers for a more beneficial situation on their part, thereby allowing us to elevate our ceiling. But I won’t be bummed if we keep everyone either. I think there’s very little chance of Bluder running anyone off after investing years in their recruitment and development. Her responsibility is to them, not the fans.
Anyone who has been following the team all year should know that one of Lisa's building blocks of team culture is that all 15 are valued and an important part of the overall success. Caitlin says it all the time. They are not going to change that now and run someone off, much as some fans might like them to.

As shikreto said, it is possible a few may decide on their own to leave. The coaches will help them find a better place if so. But this team is different. Everyone on the bench seems to be reveling in the whole. Who wouldn't want to be part of a championship team.

You have to factor in academics too. Goodman just won an award for the highest GPA at the Final Four. Ediger has raved about her major. So who will or won't leave? I have no idea, but it won't all be about playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT