ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

IowaNiceHawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
May 2, 2016
St Donatus, IA
Going to be a lot to replace, for Lisa Bluder squad this year.

Gone from starting lineup: Mackenzie Meyer, Amanda Ollinger and the BT POY.

Returning Monika C in post, maybe Gabbie M at one guard, Super Frosh, Caitlin Clark at
guard and McKenna Warnock in frontcourt, too. After that??

#gohawks

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Going to be a lot to replace, for Lisa Bluder squad this year.

Gone from starting lineup: Mackenzie Meyer, Amanda Ollinger and the BT POY.

Returning Monika C in post, maybe Gabbie M at one guard, Super Frosh, Caitlin Clark at
guard and McKenna Warnock in frontcourt, too. After that??

#gohawks
. Could go with Kate and two forwards or a third guard— Tomi or Alexis. Alexis started last year ahead of gabby
Could go with Kate

Its likely to be Caitlin Clark, Alex Sevillian, Gabby Marshall, McKenna Warnock, & Monika Czinano too start off with. There really isn't much front court depth outside of Sharon Goodman who is a freshmen & Logan Cook who hasn't shown much so far, it is likely most of Kate Martin's time will be at the 4.

There will be very little drop off. Do you realize how good Caitlin Clarke is?? She will lead this team to places it hasn't been to.

She hasn't played Game 1 at the Big10 level. Better temper your expectations, just a tad.
This team LOST the Big10 player of the year, a tremendous guard in Mac Meyer and another starter, with loads of experience in A Ollinger.

News flash: There very well could be a drop off.

#gohawks

The team vastly exceeded my expectations last year. With the turnover in personal, I don't know what to expect this year. Player development, like last season, will be important!

Reactions: cyberhawk
Last year's team had tons of experience in 3 seniors and was talented. This years team has talent but only 2 upper classmen Lexi a senior and Monica a junior that played a lot. Our freshman and sophomore classes are very talented as are the next 2 recruiting classes. If it's only about talent Maryland and Ohio St would beat us every time. Team chemistry and leadership is so important. Look at the transfer outs from both schools.

There likely will be a drop off this season due to growing pains. Last years team had experienced guards in Doyle and Meyer which goes a long way in winning college basketball games. They have some nice guards outside of Caitlin but other than Sevillian it's hard to know what to expect.

Nice thread, too bad we cannot move it to the WBB thread where more people will see it... https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-2020-postseason-preseason.310777/page-4

There likely will be a drop off this season due to growing pains. Last years team had experienced guards in Doyle and Meyer which goes a long way in winning college basketball games. They have some nice guards outside of Caitlin but other than Sevillian it's hard to know what to expect.

Nice thread, too bad we cannot move it to the WBB thread where more people will see it... https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-2020-postseason-preseason.310777/page-4

There can't be 2 threads about Iowa WBB?
Are there some misognostic tendancies, in here?
#gohawks

Reactions: crstuff
My reason for starting a new thread was simple and same as what retrodent said.
Just a fresh start and on a relatively new topic, new season, New starting lineup.

I think Women's Hoop & Men's Hoop can share the same Forum. Just think can relax a bit on the
Police of a thread, after one goes for 20 pages. #gohawks

I like WBB in this forum where the threads get read by MBB fans who may never go to the WBB forum. I’d keep it the way it is. Better exposure for WBB this way.

I never go to the wrestling forum, for example, so the only wrestling threads I read are in the Lounge.

I like WBB in this forum where the threads get read by MBB fans who may never go to the WBB forum. I’d keep it the way it is. Better exposure for WBB this way.

I never go to the wrestling forum, for example, so the only wrestling threads I read are in the Lounge.

I almost liked your reply until I read that you never go to the wrestling forum, 😁 you can't be serious.:eek:

Little off topic, but what crappy arse emoji's these are.

I've mentioned this before in the other thread, but I think this year's team might be just as good as last year's offensively. Losing Doyle and Meyer is tough, but Clark is really good, Czinano will be one year better, and Warnock is a dynamic scorer that will play a lot bigger role in the offense.

My big concerns are defense and rebounding. Doyle and Ollinger were the team's two best defenders. Ollinger was the team's best rebounder. My guess is Bluder will play even more zone defense this year. Zones are usually harder for opponents to break down, especially if you don't have a lot of good one on one defenders. Zones usually make it harder to rebound, but if you don't have any really good rebounders out of man, I'm not sure playing zone hurts as much.

Man... I hate saying this but I'm not sure Logan Cook has it at this level. Only had a few interactions with her yet and she is genuinely super nice. I watched her in high school and she was always one of the better players on the floor but didn't stand out the way some of the top D1's did.

I would LOVE to be wrong and am rooting for her.

Man... I hate saying this but I'm not sure Logan Cook has it at this level. Only had a few interactions with her yet and she is genuinely super nice. I watched her in high school and she was always one of the better players on the floor but didn't stand out the way some of the top D1's did.

I would LOVE to be wrong and am rooting for her.

Yeah, I think Logan will step up this season. This squad could definitely use it. I do think depth
& bench are going to be a big key to continued success.

I know no one has really mentioned her but I wouldn’t be surprised if Lauren Jensen is starting at some point this season. I think she has a chance to be a really good player.
Took the words right out of my mouth agree big-time

Seems like most years we have some freshman surprises. Warnock played well above expectations last year second only to Amanda in rebounds, solid both ends of the court.

I loved Meyer, but honestly don't see her as a difficult one to replace. If she got hot she was important, but seemed to disappear far too often. Clark appears to be an immediate upgrade (yes, I know, different role).

2020-2021 Roster

2020-2021 Roster
The Roster lists Goodman as 6' but isn't she taller than that? Thought she was a post & not a guard & was about the same height as Czinano.

The Roster lists Goodman as 6' but isn't she taller than that? Thought she was a post & not a guard & was about the same height as Czinano.
I saw that. It is no doubt a mistake. She has been listed at 6’2” but looks to be as tall if not taller (in this recent Twitter photo) than Monica, who is listed 6’3”. Monica is listed as a F/C. I would say Sharon is the same. They could both also probably be described as posts.

Last edited:
Seems like most years we have some freshman surprises. Warnock played well above expectations last year second only to Amanda in rebounds, solid both ends of the court.

McKenna Warnock is much more of a Scorer, than Amanda O ever was.
The former Miss Wisconsin basketball is going to have a very big role in determining how
Iowa does this season.

Reactions: BDinIC and DewHawk
It looks likely now that the NCAA will grant an extra year of eligibility to winter athletes competing this season. Not sure what that means for scholarships yet, but it will create some interesting scenarios for Iowa if players use the extra year. One huge positive will be that Iowa's offensive core of Czinano, Clark, and Warnock will now get three seasons to play together instead of two if Czinano uses the extra year. Clark and Warnock will also get more time with the 2021 and 2022 classes when they've actually had time to develop in college.

Playing time could become an huge issue, though. In two years it's possible that Czinano, Warnock, Cook, Wetering, Goodman, Ediger, O'Grady, Stuelke, and Gyamfi will all be competing for minutes at the 4 and 5 positions. That's... not workable. If the extra year is granted, I think we'll either see an uptick in transfers or non-starters just not using their extra year.

You are right. I have heard Lisa say she didn't use all scholarships now because it was too hard to keep everyone happy. Everyone coming back won't work, transfers and poor chemistry.

First practice gallery- https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2020/10/14/10-14-2020-iowa-womens-basketball-practice/

ZwBsRNr.png

Was 10/14 the first practice? There is another photo gallery of the practice on 9/25 on the hawkeyesports website, and the coaches were there too, so I'd assume that was also an official practice.

10/14 was the first official practice for the season. The 9/25 practice I believe was just part of the smaller group sessions which the coaches get to spend a certain number of hours with the team each week.

ADVERTISEMENT