ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

Our interior on defense and rebounding is where we need to improve the most. Our offense is fine and will be better next year with no changes. The tournament was so physical with so much contact allowed, it really hurt us. With a transfer and the 2 new bigs coming in, hopefully we have more talent and depth to be more physical.

I expect McKenna Warnock will be in the starting line up regardless of if or who transfers in.
I agree. It is great to still be talking about the WBB team into the long offseason, but that is all it is. Dream on if you think Dorka would even give Iowa a passing thought. Or if you think the Iowa coaches would disrupt the great team chemistry they have now. So carry on.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
I agree. It is great to still be talking about the WBB team into the long offseason, but that is all it is. Dream on if you think Dorka would even give Iowa a passing thought. Or if you think the Iowa coaches would disrupt the great team chemistry they have now. So carry on.

I don't agree with this take. Iowa is being projected as a top 10 team next year, and could conceivably return the entire core of the team the year after too. Our point guard is one of the best players in the country. If a big time transfer wants to go to a school that has a chance to make a deep post-season run in the next couple years, Iowa is on a fairly short list of schools that can do it.

I also think it would be insane for the coaches to not consider a player like Juhasz. She's already shown that she is one of the best players in the conference, and fills a ton of team needs with her size, rebounding, and athleticism. She's the type of player that could turn Iowa from a Final Four darkhorse to a Final Four contender. I agree that the coaches should pass if they think bringing in Juhasz or another transfer would create chemistry issues, but I don't think that would be true of the majority of players.

It's overwhelmingly likely that Juhasz transfers somewhere other than Iowa. There's a very good chance that Iowa doesn't add any transfers this offseason. But to say a top transfer wouldn't consider Iowa, or that the coaches wouldn't give any consideration to a transfer, strikes me as wrong on both counts.

Reactions: r448chlpo
Our interior on defense and rebounding is where we need to improve the most. Our offense is fine and will be better next year with no changes. The tournament was so physical with so much contact allowed, it really hurt us. With a transfer and the 2 new bigs coming in, hopefully we have more talent and depth to be more physical.
I'm afraid our interior defense will be hard to improve unless Czinano improves. We've discussed her defensive issues ad nauseam, but those shortcomings also limit where she can play defensively. In our 2-3 zone, she can only player the bottom middle position, because she's not quick enough to play the corners. In player to player, she's basically limited to guarding the other team's post for the same reason. Even if we were to bring in a great post defender, we would struggle to have that player actually defending the post with Czinano in the game.

I think any defensive improvements we see will have to start on the perimeter. Our guards and wings have to be better at limiting dribble penetration. If they get beat off the dribble, a basket usually follows because we aren't a great help defense team. We also need to improve our perimeter defensive rotations. In the zone especially, our defenders seem to move only once the ball is in the air, rather than seeing where the next pass will go ahead of time and preparing to counter it.

I might be wrong on this but, given Iowa's offense would a player like Dorka necessarily take playing time exclusively from a single current player. If not, the question for that player might be would you ( for 2 seasons) rather be a 32 minute player on the 4th place team or a 22 minute player on a championship team that has a real shot at a the Final Four? Abstract question in all probability but an interesting question.

I would be surprised if Lisa adds a transfer. The team has been a close knit team for as long as Lisa has been here, and anyone who thinks a transfer could not disrupt that is insane. Transfers not only can disrupt a teams current chemistry, it can also cause problems with current recruits and commitments in the next classes.

Reactions: iarick
Aaliyah Patty from Ohio State is also in the transfer portal. Including Juhasz, they've now lost their starting 4 and 5, both of whom could have played another two seasons. That's a pretty brutal development for them. They will probably add forwards in the transfer portal, but finding players that can match Patty and Juhasz's production will be difficult.

Aaliyah Patty from Ohio State is also in the transfer portal. Including Juhasz, they've now lost their starting 4 and 5, both of whom could have played another two seasons. That's a pretty brutal development for them. They will probably add forwards in the transfer portal, but finding players that can match Patty and Juhasz's production will be difficult.
Did we offer Patty? I remember being impressed after watching her high school team beat Kate Martin's in the Illinois state semi's. Both, of course, were already committed at that time.
(I'm also in the camp that doubts the Hawkeyes will add a transfer, but it doesn't hurt to think about these things.)

McGuff is probably out looking for a Daddy who has a couple BIGS as daughters.

Reactions: jockos
Did we offer Patty? I remember being impressed after watching her high school team beat Kate Martin's in the Illinois state semi's. Both, of course, were already committed at that time.
(I'm also in the camp that doubts the Hawkeyes will add a transfer, but it doesn't hurt to think about these things.)
I believe jockos said we were very interested in her in the past. I'm not sure the interest will be the same now that she's a transfer. I've said that if I were the coaches, I would only add a sure starter as a transfer, and I'm not sure that Patty would be. Our front court already has plenty of depth and good starting options.

I believe jockos said we were very interested in her in the past. I'm not sure the interest will be the same now that she's a transfer. I've said that if I were the coaches, I would only add a sure starter as a transfer, and I'm not sure that Patty would be. Our front court already has plenty of depth and good starting options.
Iowa recruited Patty hard out of high school, she played at Montini I believe. I don't think she adds anything to the current roster though, maybe she heads to Depaul or Illinois closer to home? Ohio State has no posts other than Mikulasikova & a bunch of 6'1/2 forward types with no current recruits other than guards one of which just committed this week. They are also down an assistant coach who worked with their posts, regardless though they have talented guards & can play small.

Diamond Johnson, the ESPN #6 recruit from last year ends up at NCST after leaving Rutgers following her FR season. Following their two huge portal additions this week NCST is loaded going into next season.

Jennie Baranczyk to Oklahoma.
I think a lot of people expected her to be a top candidate for the Iowa job whenever Coach Bluder decides to retire, and perhaps she still could be. I completely understand her taking a Power 5 job when it came available, though. There's no telling how long Coach Bluder will keep coaching, no guarantee she would actually get the Iowa job, and she's proven that she deserves a chance at a bigger job. Hopefully Drake can find a good replacement and continue to be a top mid-major.

Reactions: BGHAWK
No idea what can be done but the women’s game is losing fans with most great players going to a handful of teams. NCAA needs to level the playing field somehow.

Reactions: DewHawk
It seems notable that there's a lot more talent leaving the Big Ten than coming in through the transfer portal thus far. Rutgers, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Purdue are all substantially weaker on paper than they were coming into the off-season. Penn State and Illinois might be better, but not remarkably so.

Anyone got a good idea of what we are going to look like next season with our newest addition?

Anyone got a good idea of what we are going to look like next season with our newest addition?
She will compete for time at the 2 or 3 presumably. I don't know enough about her to have a reasonable guess as to whether she'd be a starter, rotation player, or depth. We probably won't know that for sure until the season starts.

She will compete for time at the 2 or 3 presumably. I don't know enough about her to have a reasonable guess as to whether she'd be a starter, rotation player, or depth. We probably won't know that for sure until the season starts.
Is it safe to say that we are going to be deep next season?

Is it safe to say that we are going to be deep next season?
As long as no one leaves the roster will be at the maximum fifteen for the next two years at least. The number of [Nike GYBL AAU National champion] AIA alumni grows from six to seven in 2022!

Last edited:
I fully expect Kylie to be a starter at some point next year. Hard to imagine Lisa bringing in a transfer to be nothing more than a depth person. After looking at videos I see her athletic ability and skill set better than every guard with of course the exception of Clark.

Reactions: redbirdhawk
Does anyone have the slightest bit of an idea on if fans will be allowed back in Carver next season? I am assuming it will not be allowed to be at full capacity.

How would average attendance at Carver compare to Hilton for women's basketball? I thought Iowa's attendance was better than ISU's. TIA

I'm sad to see her go but you're right I think we all predicted that if someone was going to transfer it would be her.

That sucks. I liked her game a lot (we just never got to see it much). She seemed like a quicker version of Marshall she just never was on the court long enough to get into any kind of rhythm shooting the ball.

Substitution patterns have always been an issue I've had with Bluder. Subs will come in for 45sec or maybe 90sec and then get subbed right back out. Meyer, Taiwo, Cook and Jensen all have been had struggles because of this. So hard to sit on the bench for 30 minutes after warm-ups and then jump in the game for just 45 seconds. Setting them up to fail.

Wish Lauren well and just hope she doesn't end up in the BigTen somewhere and haunt the Hawks in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT