ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes Baseball v. Wolverines Baseball . . . the RPI numbers

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Iowa (#97 RPI) at Michigan (#38 RPI).

Iowa would earn 99 RPI points with a win today. It currently trails #90 Dayton by 71 RPI points.
Iowa would drop 25 RPI points with a loss. Iowa currently sits 24 RPI points ahead of #102 Mississippi State.
These numbers alone demonstrate what 2 wins this weekend would mean. Around a (+150) in RPI points.

Other potential RPI influences today - Iowa's previous opponents:
Cal Irvine +11.4(W)/-21.5(L)
Wichita State +11.4/-9.6
Texas Tech +3.5/-15.3
Ball State +4.2/-7.3
Air Force +7.2/-4.3
Pepperdine +4.3/-6.7
Washington State +7.2/-3.8
Texas A&M +3.9/-6.6
San Diego State +8.3/-2.2
Tex A&M C-C +4.2/-5.2

Dropping that game to CMU had a huge impact. A sweep and you're in the 60's right now.

Maybe the best start-to-finish game of year. Solid win, bullpen stays fresh with Nedved going 7+.

Goes from #92 RPI to start day to #74.

Get the sweep!!

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Listening to radio broadcast. I wouldn’t bet money that there will be a game tomorrow. Sounds like snow is in forecast.

Listening to radio broadcast. I wouldn’t bet money that there will be a game tomorrow. Sounds like snow is in forecast.
Signs you’re getting old: the B1G opener against Michigan in March 2009 required a delay to allow the tarp to be shoveled, the outfield snow to melt, and a snow fence to be installed at the warning track because the dirt was so soupy. Iowa then managed to hit a few home runs. I’d bet the temp never got above 35 degrees!

I think Heller withheld Mazur from yesterday knowing the game was in jeopardy. Getting your top prospect hot for a start that may not happen is shortsighted.

Barring a complete meltdown, not outside the realm of possibility that Iowa will find itself in the upper 60s in RPI by day's end. Low 70s is worst case scenario. That's a 20+ place improvement from before the first game against Michigan.

Not going to dwell on the wasted effort by Mazur. Series win. On road. Against one of the pre-season favorites? I'll take it.

Barring a complete meltdown, not outside the realm of possibility that Iowa will find itself in the upper 60s in RPI by day's end. Low 70s is worst case scenario. That's a 20+ place improvement from before the first game against Michigan.

Not going to dwell on the wasted effort by Mazur. Series win. On road. Against one of the pre-season favorites? I'll take it.

Dargan says Iowa could gain around 20 RPI spots by the time the weekend ends.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
They looked good. Excited about this team. A lot of talent. Got a little bumpy beginning of season with so many new guys and a tough early schedule. Feels like they are really starting to settle into their roles. Nice to see Fullard back too.
Agreed. Hojnar, Huckstorf, Tallman, and Petersen seem to all be working into everyday starters. It’ll be interesting to see how 3B works out between Sher and Nelson. Lots of positives from this weekend!

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Agreed. Hojnar, Huckstorf, Tallman, and Petersen seem to all be working into everyday starters. It’ll be interesting to see how 3B works out between Sher and Nelson. Lots of positives from this weekend!
Best 3 games of the year against a good team. Thought the at-bats were actually decent in the game they lost, hit the ball hard a few times with no results with RISP. As other poster said, two of the doubles were about a foot from going out of the ballpark.

I thought it was very encouraging that Fullard could play back to back days and showing some pop already with a couple of doubles. If he is healthy going forward, really makes the Iowa lineup deep.

Team will win a lot of series if they starting pitching stays in the groove they are in. Is Nedved now the Friday starter, or was that more due to the weather issues in this series? Not that it really matters a great deal.

Dargan says Iowa could gain around 20 RPI spots by the time the weekend ends.

Iowa started Friday at 97. This morning they are at 71. That is about as good of a weekend as you can ask for.

Now Iowa needs to start stacking wins. There aren't a whole lot of great RPI games left for Iowa so winning series, sweeping some (looking at you Minnesota), is going to be imperative. Illinois (80) and at Rutgers (51) are Iowa's best RPI games remaining at the moment. Almost as important is that we need Michigan, CMU, TT, and UCI to keep winning.

Iowa started Friday at 97. This morning they are at 71. That is about as good of a weekend as you can ask for.

Now Iowa needs to start stacking wins. There aren't a whole lot of great RPI games left for Iowa so winning series, sweeping some (looking at you Minnesota), is going to be imperative. Illinois (80) and at Rutgers (51) are Iowa's best RPI games remaining at the moment. Almost as important is that we need Michigan, CMU, TT, and UCI to keep winning.

A couple of late inning rallies by Iowa's prior opponents made a big difference at the end of yesterday. Moved Iowa to #71 as opposed to being #78-#80.

As posters have noted in the past, taking care of business at Banks Field is really important. Winning 2 of 3 this weekend is a "must."

Reactions: whatsup13579er
A couple of late inning rallies by Iowa's prior opponents made a big difference at the end of yesterday. Moved Iowa to #71 as opposed to being #78-#80.

As posters have noted in the past, taking care of business at Banks Field is really important. Winning 2 of 3 this weekend is a "must."
Illinois really took it to Iowa last year at a key point in the season, hopefully the fortunes are reversed now.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Minnesota might be 3 negative RPI games even with Iowa wins, just like Western Illinois usually is.

Illinois really took it to Iowa last year at a key point in the season, hopefully the fortunes are reversed now.

Unfortunately, I was in the stands for those games. Incredibly painful. Looking for the Hawkeyes to issue a dish served cold this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT