ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land JUCO DT Anterio Thompson***

They may not have the “headliner” coming into the season but I can’t recall any position group being this deep during the KF tenure.
It's wild, Noah Shannon just keeps on improving. For a short-dude possessing "natural leverage" ... he was mighty productive last year. I would bet that Logan Lee still doesn't feel like he's reached the point where he wants to get ... he's a dude with a lot of pride (and plenty of ability). Anyhow, he's been a strong leader for the DL-room ... and could potentially put up a monster season if he can stay healthy.

And the fun part is that the 2nd team DTs (Graves and Black) are guys who could be described as "physical freaks." If the recruiting buzz about Anterio is on the mark (he was reputed to run a 4.6 at the Husker camp) - he could be yet another "physical freak" at DT for us. Oh ... and buy the way ... Pittman is a big-bodied guy who seems to do nothing but improve too!

Just on the interior alone, I would surmise that Graves is likely to be a favorite pre-season "pick to click" contributor for the '23 season.

At DE ... we don't quite have the same depth of experience. However, Joe Evans is a veteran leader at the spot. Furthermore, Craig demonstrated great improvement throughout the '22 season. At DE ... I would guess that most folks predict him to pick up the mantle left by Van Ness (given that Van Ness saw a lot of pass-rushing reps at DE for us last season). Hurkett is a guy who saw a bunch of rotational snaps last season (as a back-up). Reames is a guy who the coaches likely haven't forgotten about either. Llewellyn was a guy who was generating some buzz through some prior camps. Filer is a "speed guy" who could establish himself as an interesting situational rusher ... and he was tabbed the NJCAA Defensive player of the year last year ... intriguing talent. Lastly, I was excited about BOTH Crawford and Allen ... both have good size ... I would guess that either have a chance to emerge this year (as a rotational player).

So yeah ... really darn nice depth!

Last edited:
It's wild, Noah Shannon just keeps on improving. For a short-dude possessing "natural leverage" ... he was mighty productive last year. I would bet that Logan Lee still doesn't feel like he's reached the point where he wants to get ... he's a dude with a lot of pride (and plenty of ability). Anyhow, he's been a strong leader for the DL-room ... and could potentially put up a monster season if he can stay healthy.

And the fun part is that the 2nd team DTs (Graves and Black) are guys who could be described as "physical freaks." If the recruiting buzz about Anterio is on the mark (he was reputed to run a 4.6 at the Husker camp) - he could be yet another "physical freak" at DT for us. Oh ... and buy the way ... Pittman is a big-bodied guy who seems to do nothing but improve too!

Just on the interior alone, I would surmise that Graves is likely to be a favorite pre-season "pick to click" contributor for the '23 season.

At DE ... we don't quite have the same depth of experience. However, Joe Evans is a veteran leader at the spot. Furthermore, Craig demonstrated great improvement throughout the '22 season. At DE ... I would guess that most folks predict him to pick up the mantle left by Van Ness (given that Van Ness saw a lot of pass-rushing reps at DE for us last season). Hurkett is a guy who saw a bunch of rotational snaps last season (as a back-up). Reames is a guy who the coaches likely haven't forgotten about either. Llewellyn was a guy who was generating some buzz through some prior camps. Filer is a "speed guy" who could establish himself as an interesting situational rusher ... and he was tabbed the NJCAA Defensive player of the year last year ... intriguing talent. Lastly, I was excited about BOTH Crawford and Allen ... both have good size ... I would guess that either have a chance to emerge this year (as a rotational player).

So yeah ... really darn nice depth!
Babineaux ? Had great leverage also. Hope he produces the same.

Reactions: CarterHall
Translation: We could go (gulp!) 12 deep on Dline? :)
Yeah ... I think that the rotation goes 10-deep easy.
The "problem" is that there will only be so many snaps to distribute between the guys. That's why I doubt it goes 12 deep ... that is, unless they explore around even more with different DL-packages (which is possible).

The good news is that when guys are in ... they're going to not be worried about conserving themselves ... they'll be going all-out, every snap. That's been one of the benefits of having a philosophy where you choose to rotate guys more.

The "problem" is that there will only be so many snaps to distribute between the guys. That's why I doubt it goes 12 deep ... that is, unless they explore around even more with different DL-packages (which is possible).

The good news is that when guys are in ... they're going to not be worried about conserving themselves ... they'll be going all-out, every snap. That's been one of the benefits of having a philosophy where you choose to rotate guys more.
That seems to be Philip Parkers ideal dl. He really seems to like having a rotation of fresh bodies to continually throw at an offensive line.

It wasn't always this way with Kirk and Phil. I would say that in the last 9-10 years they changed their philosophy. The focus became to recruit the DL heavily for numbers and depth. The results have been evident culminating in this years class which probably is their deepest unit. Its yet to be proven, but I think there are 4-5 NFL p!ayers on that 12 man depth chart.

It wasn't always this way with Kirk and Phil. I would say that in the last 9-10 years they changed their philosophy. The focus became to recruit the DL heavily for numbers and depth. The results have been evident culminating in this years class which probably is their deepest unit. Its yet to be proven, but I think there are 4-5 NFL p!ayers on that 12 man depth chart.
Yep and I know I've stated before yet the Iowa staff visited Georgia several years ago and came away with some tweaks to philosophy, etc on D. You can't have 4-6 as they are gassed in 4th q in B10 games and we also got the raider package and cash position from these offseason visits to both Georgia and Oregon.

The 2010 season was the impetus for this change. They had a strong top 5, but really dropped off after that and they paid dearly for it that year.

I highly doubt Phil rotates all 12 guys, but, I think all 12 guys will play depending on matchups. There is a great mix of talent there, speed, power and combinations of both. While the defensive backs for all their interceptions and the linebackers for all their tackles get the publicity, the defensive line has always been the straw that stirs this drink. Prediction: Joe Evans leads the B1G in sacks.

Yep and I know I've stated before yet the Iowa staff visited Georgia several years ago and came away with some tweaks to philosophy, etc on D. You can't have 4-6 as they are gassed in 4th q in B10 games and we also got the raider package and cash position from these offseason visits to both Georgia and Oregon.
Can the staff go visit Georgia and Oregon to learn some offensive philosophy?

• Haha
Reactions: natewantofbees
Yeah ... the philosophy changed around 2018(ish). They visited Georgia ... and then decided to use more of a rotation.

We used to abide by the philosophy that it was more valuable to have knowledgeable, skilled guys on the field. However, those guys would have to really measure their efforts ... otherwise they'd tire out.

One has to believe the draft success of guys who weren't full-time starters has to help on the recruiting trail as coaches talk to guys who are used to playing every down about how they can still achieve all of their goals and aspirations in our rotational DL system.
Yeah ... that certainly cannot hurt. It wasn't that long ago that rotating led Ryan Bain to transfer out. I always thought that was an error on his part.

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo
ADVERTISEMENT