ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land Samson Evans***

Facts Blair.....FACTS! You know that those are not allowed on here. That will only mess up the movies in some of these guys heads!o_O
Unfortunately, SPARQ can only measure certain things. It can't measure instinct, desire, or football I.Q. Those are the intangibles that set apart football players from just athletes. No commentary here on any individual, just saying.

Would you please stop insulting the Iowa staff's decision to extend an offer to Martin. Your anti-KF agenda is getting tiresome.

I'll have to confess I get a smile when you do this, it really brings home the reality of how crappy the anti-KF people really are and how out of touch. And u are doing it with sarcasm in the hopes of being cute but it really slams it home and shows even you know how crappy it is...:)

In football, Illinois does not decide your class until the end of the season. They take the 256 teams with the most wins and then they break them into 8 classes of 32 based on enrollment. It is not uncommon for a school, particularly in the middle enrollment area to play in a different class from year to year. Biggest schools and smallest schools usually don't see much change in class but classes 4,5,and 6 tend to see schools moving up and down quite a bit.
The one thing I really don't like about this set up is that because so many schools are accepted, that you occasionally get teams with losing records in the playoffs. Also doesn't matter if you are a school with 1500 students playing a school with 4000 students. You get no credit for playing the bigger schools which because of conferences happens all the time.

A couple things here...I suppose that's possible though do I have to confess I never remember hearing it said that way. I have lived in Illinois now for 18 years and followed high school football pretty closely and everyone pretty much knows going into the season what class you're going to be in. The other stuff is 100% accurate there are several if not the majority of football conferences have schools in different classes, in fact the local Catholic school is typically three or four A and regularly plays against 6, 7 and eight A teams.

I also don't ever remember a sub 500 team making the playoffs & I'm fairly certain it can't happen anymore. The part owner/general manager of the dealership I work at also coaches for the high school football team in Bourbonnais where Cameron Harrel came from and again I'm almost certain that doesn't happen.

I guess I never paid that close of attention to Oliver Martin's speed numbers a...4.65, 40 yard dash.... I can't believe everybody was up in arms about losing him that's way too slow for a high-quality wide receiver..:D
Brandon Smith is 4.70. Jerry Rice was 4.90 first time in college. I wouldn't put too much weight on it. Those times improve.

One would think Lovie smiths days are numbered losing the top players in state to Minnie and Iowa.....

The article may have been a little misleading - he was named the Player of the Year by EdgyTim.com. He isn't the Gatorade POY or anything like that. Not trying to be a turd, and since you reference that Lovie lost the top player in the state of IL to Iowa, I wanted to clarify. He looks like a really nice talent, I'm sure he'll be successful at Iowa.

Unfortunately, SPARQ can only measure certain things. It can't measure instinct, desire, or football I.Q. Those are the intangibles that set apart football players from just athletes. No commentary here on any individual, just saying.
100% correct....it is the Pajama Olympics. Been to a handful and it is comical how they pretend that this is the measuring stick for what makes a football player. My point was that people were questioning his athleticism....SPARQ does measure the athletic ability of these guys for sure.

Reactions: onionman1
The article may have been a little misleading - he was named the Player of the Year by EdgyTim.com. He isn't the Gatorade POY or anything like that. Not trying to be a turd, and since you reference that Lovie lost the top player in the state of IL to Iowa, I wanted to clarify. He looks like a really nice talent, I'm sure he'll be successful at Iowa.
Sorry thought I saw on here somewhere that lovie had not landed any of the top like 25 commits in Illinois but Minnie and Iowa had already landed some along with some other big ten schools.....just wondering how long that will/can fly there...?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Yeah, I did a little research on that today.

Thanks for the info Blair. Damn who is Lovie recruiting? For the ILLINI to get their foot in the door of the BIG race, you would think he'd need to keep a bunch of the top talent, in a solid talent state like Illinois at home. I guess his pro resume isn't helping him much on the recruiting trail. :oops:

Thanks for the info Blair. Damn who is Lovie recruiting? For the ILLINI to get their foot in the door of the BIG race, you would think he'd need to keep a bunch of the top talent, in a solid talent state like Illinois at home. I guess his pro resume isn't helping him much on the recruiting trail. :oops:
In their 2017 class 17 of their 26 commits were not from Illinois. 7 were from Florida.

In their 2017 class 17 of their 26 commits were not from Illinois. 7 were from Florida.
I get that cb, and I'm not saying he has to only recruit ILL to be successful, BUT, most years, there's some pretty good talent in the Land of Lincoln, and you'd think he'd need to keep some of the top kids at home. If not, he'd better be landing a bunch of four and five star guys from elsewhere.

I get that cb, and I'm not saying he has to only recruit ILL to be successful, BUT, most years, there's some pretty good talent in the Land of Lincoln, and you'd think he'd need to keep some of the top kids at home. If not, he'd better be landing a bunch of four and five star guys from elsewhere.
I know. I was just saying where he was looking for talent. Illinois has 50-100 D1 players every class so there is enough to not have to look elsewhere. But if you are a 4-5* then everyone is going to offer those kids. He needs to start winning games if he plans on recruiting the state better.

A couple things here...I suppose that's possible though do I have to confess I never remember hearing it said that way. I have lived in Illinois now for 18 years and followed high school football pretty closely and everyone pretty much knows going into the season what class you're going to be in. The other stuff is 100% accurate there are several if not the majority of football conferences have schools in different classes, in fact the local Catholic school is typically three or four A and regularly plays against 6, 7 and eight A teams.

I also don't ever remember a sub 500 team making the playoffs & I'm fairly certain it can't happen anymore. The part owner/general manager of the dealership I work at also coaches for the high school football team in Bourbonnais where Cameron Harrel came from and again I'm almost certain that doesn't happen.
You may be right on the teams with a losing record. I have lived in Illinois for 40 some years and do recall it happening. As for how the classes are decided here is a quote from the IHSA website.

Determining the Classes
After the 256 qualifiers have been determined, the schools are broken down into 8 classes of 32 teams each, based on the school's classification enrollment (from last year's report to the Illinois State Board of Education, adjusted by the 1.65 multiplier where applicable).

The largest 32 schools based on the official enrollment figures are placed in Class 8A, the next largest in Class 7A, and so on down to Class 1A. If a tie should occur for the final spot in a particular class, a coin flip is used to break the tie.
As for knowing their class, a perfect example would be Lombard Montini who lost the 5A champioship game in 2014 and won the 6A championship in 2015 with about the same number of students. Moving up or down one class isn't out of the ordinary.

You may be right on the teams with a losing record. I have lived in Illinois for 40 some years and do recall it happening. As for how the classes are decided here is a quote from the IHSA website.

Determining the Classes
After the 256 qualifiers have been determined, the schools are broken down into 8 classes of 32 teams each, based on the school's classification enrollment (from last year's report to the Illinois State Board of Education, adjusted by the 1.65 multiplier where applicable).

The largest 32 schools based on the official enrollment figures are placed in Class 8A, the next largest in Class 7A, and so on down to Class 1A. If a tie should occur for the final spot in a particular class, a coin flip is used to break the tie.
As for knowing their class, a perfect example would be Lombard Montini who lost the 5A champioship game in 2014 and won the 6A championship in 2015 with about the same number of students. Moving up or down one class isn't out of the ordinary.

Agreed, in fact it happens all the time, but its not typically a surprise, meaning a team doesn't spend all year thinking they'll be 8-A and then all of a sudden they're 7 or vice versa, I guess that's all I meant.

These Catholic conferences are really out of class. As I said, I'm from Bradley-Bourbonnais-Kankakee and we have 3 high schools, Bradley-Bourbonnais where Cameron played who is 7-A but has been 6-A in the past and maybe even 8-A, Kankakee who has been 5-A most recently and Bishop McNamara who won the 3-A state championship 2 years ago and had been 4-A as recently as 3 or 4 years ago. The interesting thing about them, as you may already know, they play in a conference that makes them play teams like St Rita, currently 8A, Brother Rice, currently 8-A, Mt Carmel who I think is currently 7A, Providence Catholic currently 6-A, etc, etc....all of those aforementioned schools are typically powerhouses....so yes it makes for some interesting scenarios.

But its not unique to the Catholic schools because the smaller schools down state aren't above having 1A, 2A and 3A schools all smacked into the same conference,either.

You do realize it is 2017 and college football right? Love the option game in high school because kids are football stupid, but in the big time football world it isn't a good "option"
Watch NW, MI and OSU this fall and then tell me that. I believe WI and the Hawks are one of the few teams in the BIG that still use the "pro-style" offense.
Watch NW, MI and OSU this fall and then tell me that.

Watch NW, MI and OSU this fall and then tell me that. I believe WI and the Hawks are one of the few teams in the BIG that still use the "pro-style" offense.

Well I'm not sure about that..... Michigan is still pretty much an NFL/Pro-style/Multi-set team. I wouldn't necessarily call Minne a full on spread, MSU is most assuredly Pro-style, Penn St still has some smash-mouth Pro-style components I believe as does tOSU.

Personally what I think you are seeing is teams incorporating "some" spread components in their Multi-looks which essentially is STILL Pro-style.

Reactions: cocoem
If you really think those teams are running "option" football like you saw in Evans tape...then you totally need to find a different hobby and understand you are football stupid. A lot of RPO's are run in the O$U system, but they are far from an option football team. Iowa is not built...never has been and won't be under their coaching staff for a lot of RPO's. It puts way too much onus on the QB to make the right decision on what they see. Sound defense that does not give those RPO windows will always be more effective against this type of offense.

Thank you Samson for picking Iowa. I would not be a bit surprised if you add a fourth star by the end of your senior year. You will love Iowa City and I think you might see the field early in your career.

Reactions: ichawk24 and cocoem
Sorry thought I saw on here somewhere that lovie had not landed any of the top like 25 commits in Illinois but Minnie and Iowa had already landed some along with some other big ten schools.....just wondering how long that will/can fly there...?

oh gotcha. I misunderstood your post. You've likely correct. I know Minnesota, Northwestern and Notre Dame seem to have cleaned up on the top 10 in the state this year. There are plenty of players in Illinois, but you need to get those players to come to your school. I'm curious what the issue is with recruiting to Illinois? I say that because I honestly don't know? Is it just that there are too many other good options recruiting the area in Notre Dame, Iowa...maybe NW? In my mind, Minnesota, NW and Illinois should be on a level playing field, although right now Minnesota and NW definitely have stronger, more reputable coaches than Illinois.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
Am I the only one? It is hard for me to get excited about a wr recruit that has never caught a pass. Instead of insisting on turd polishing why do we never get top talent that have proven they can play?

Am I the only one? It is hard for me to get excited about a wr recruit that has never caught a pass. Instead of insisting on turd polishing why do we never get top talent that have proven they can play?
Right because DJK and McNutt didn't pan out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT