ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land TE Cael Vanderbush***

Everyone was up in arms of the Summer recruiting struggles and I remembered Iowa is great at scouting. Coming off a CoVid year, easy pickings and a lot of under the radar guys.

Limited video on this guy looks awesome. I'd advise checking it out before the naysayers come in about "fallback" and "reach"

Here's the article we did after Iowa offered on Saturday. I'll have more on his commitment shortly.

How many will Iowa take in this class? I like the commits they have so far, but there is a lot of work to be done

Very nice. Will pick up a little more speed and agility with s&c. I’ll be the first to say it… this kid is Underrated.

Everyone was up in arms of the Summer recruiting struggles and I remembered Iowa is great at scouting. Coming off a CoVid year, easy pickings and a lot of under the radar guys.

Limited video on this guy looks awesome. I'd advise checking it out before the naysayers come in about "fallback" and "reach"
No complaints here. He will build up his body and possibly do great here. We just faced a stud TE who happened to play for CSU.

Reactions: F5n5
I will be interested to see how he comes along. He definitely looks like he will need a lot of development in the weight room and on his technique. Like, his route running doesn't look sharp and almost looks noncommittal (though it doesn't look like the QB is trying to hit him out of his breaks, either) and not at full speed. He catches it well in his highlights, but then they are highlights. I'm thinking this is a size and athleticism project.

Also, the highlights are from his junior year and it looks like he might be a basketball guy, so maybe that explains any rawness and the unusual route running. It kind of looks more like the way people move on a basketball court than receiver routes. And maybe he has sharpened things up this year.

Edited to add: His route running and blocking look noticeably better as the highlight goes along, too. If it's chronological, that supports the idea that he's learning to play football.

Junior highlights

Last edited:

Yep. I felt Iowa can get some late recruits this year. There should be some emerging players since this year is the least scouted of any recent previous years. I have confidence in the Iowa staff in finding some players.

1254172884282.jpg

I can't imagine even the most miserable and ignorant of fans would question TE recruiting under KF. All the TE's during his tenure that have gone on to star for the Hawks and then star in or at least sniff the NFL, and the only ones that were the least bit "heavily recruited" were Moeaki, Fiedorowicz and Fant.

At this point if we get a TE commit, there’s an 80% chance he’s gonna be good so I don’t care about the offers. It’s certainly nice to get the high offer/star guys but at this position, there’s just no one better at producing NFL TE’s.

George Kittle starter kit
First impression: looks more like a Thomas Fidone clone. As other have noted, will benefit substantially in Iowa's S&C program. Before/after photos three years from now will likely be remarkable. And we have this on-field possibility a few years down the road....
WR Brody Brecht, 6ft5
WR Kyler Kasper, 6ft6
TE Cael Vanderbush, 6ft6
....a basketball frontcourt on turf. Alley Oop U. If Iowa can sign a midget QB this class they could become the most entertaining team in America, must watch TV.

Last edited:
Kittle was a last minute offer and I follow recruiting and I had never heard of him!!
It definitely is a position where guys with some raw material (size, speed, ability to put on weight) can turn into a real good player. Kittle, Hockenson, LaPorta, and on and on. I have no idea if this guy will be great, but he is tall, can run and looks to like football.

George Kittle starter kit
I remember folks questioning kittle’s offer, as he was ranked almost identically to Cael, and because Kittle was also a project, more like a WR.

Kittle had all kinds of offers too…..from navy, Air Force, and Weber State. Then Iowa at very last minute. And didn’t seem like any more were coming.

Utah swept in with an offer for Cael and he was absolutely getting more P5 offers.

iowa knows what makes a big time TE: someone who is athletic as a WR but a bigger body. Cael is the best TE prospect in at least three years imho. This kid is fast, athletic, huge vertical and reach, and is going to lead the league and go first round - if he goes all-in to the coaching and training and academics and family culture of the team. One of the top - if not the top - recruits in this class. He can be the next Kittle. And I hope he knows it enough to work for it, relentless like Garza, committed like Kittle and Clark.

Welcome to TIGHT END UNIVERSITY and the HAWKEYE FAMILY MR. VANDERBUSH.

Reactions: hawkosx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT