ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Hawkeyes land their QB in Oklahoma native Carson May

1254172884282.jpg

Project with high upside, and after our recent QB recruiting we can afford to take a guy like that, especially when we sit well with a few really good prospects like Lainez and Brown in 2023.

Reactions: desihawk
This kid is no project. Covid is the only thing that hurt his recruitment. Heck of an athlete and makes every throw. The fact that the coaches found him in Oklahoma and he earned a scholarship after camp evaluations, tells me, the coaches know he's a competitor, the QB room will be highly competitive.

Looks to me like he has all the tools we could ask for - size, quickness in the pocket, enough speed to keep defenses honest, good enough vision, arm strength and accuracy.

Idk that he has off-the-charts arm strength, but I think it's enough. He'll have some work to do here on ball security (not holding the ball at his waist and away from his body) and maybe shortening his delivery (sometimes winds up a bit). And learning the footwork needed to take snaps from center will take time (getting the footwork right affects accuracy). But, he seems athletic enough that I'm confident he can learn it all.

JR highlight

Last edited:
Just to add context, I'm pretty certain MIDWEST3 is Carson's Dad. That scouting report might be a bit biased. I will, however, say, welcome aboard. I hope he does great things (fball and school)!

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Nice tight, compact motion. He gets rid of the ball quickly and has good accuracy...some mobility.

Last edited:
Reactions: onionman1
This kid is no project. Covid is the only thing that hurt his recruitment. Heck of an athlete and makes every throw. The fact that the coaches found him in Oklahoma and he earned a scholarship after camp evaluations, tells me, the coaches know he's a competitor, the QB room will be highly competitive.
Yes, but the coaches also evaluated Petras. Can’t win them all I guess.

For Iowa? Nothing special.

For the 49ers/The World? Great.
I agree that his pro career has been much more productive. Kittle battled injuries at Iowa but he did lead the Hawks in TD receptions in 2015. It doesn't show up in the stats but the coaches raved about his blocking ability which helped produce more than 2000 yds for Canzeri/Daniels/Wadley.

Yes, but the coaches also evaluated Petras. Can’t win them all I guess.

Spencer was 6-2 in his first year as a starter without the normal preparation time. He is working with a quarterback coach this summer on his own dime to try and improve his accuracy. There is no reason to rip on Spencer at this time, especially in a thread about a new quarterback commitment. You can do better!

Not family but have seen a few of the lower Midwest guys in person. This is definitely a passionate fan base. Plus I think Petras will have very good year. Very knowledgeable fans on this site unlike the other guys in the state.

I have not given up on Petras. He was more Hyde than Jekyll last year but made some brilliant throws. I am hoping a full offseason of work will pay dividends.
And welcome aboard, Carson May!

Reactions: mickv
Looks good to me.
Curious if you are going to the game this year. Son graduated from CSU but identifies as a Hawk and is flying in from JAX for the game. Been out in the Springs since 80 but always go back for a game or two.

Curious if you are going to the game this year. Son graduated from CSU but identifies as a Hawk and is flying in from JAX for the game. Been out in the Springs since 80 but always go back for a game or two.
Was happy they got scheduled, but CSU really fell under Bobo. No excitement right now, only hope.
Usually do the Nebraska game as we have time to travel during Thanksgiving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT