ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Hawkeyes land their QB in Oklahoma native Carson May

I hope you are right.

I hope Spencer has a really good season this year as well. I do expect that he will improve over last year as he has starting experience and a full offseason to prepare. Obviously, there are. I no guarantees, but I prefer to think optimistically about the upcoming season.

Reactions: Hawkeyegeorge12
Welcome to the Hawkeye Family Carson! You were the guy I was hoping to land for the QB position in Swarm22. You will enjoy your time in IC both athletically and academically. Very excited to have you on board!

For those of you whining about Carson's offer list; Do you remember Chuck Long's offers? Northwestern and Western Illinois. How did that work out for us?

Concerning Spencer Petras. The kid has played less than a season against conference teams only. He did not have the benefit of spring practice or a regular fall camp. I think Spencer deserves some slack form the fanbase.

This kid looks to be pretty good. Big, seems to have a nice touch and the ability to elude tacklers.

Of course Joey Labas will have won the Heisman by the time young Mr. May sees the field.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Sports illustrated top 2022 prospect ?
looks like plenty of potential.
I may have COVID brain melt but that seems like a huge number of young quarterbacks on scholarship
Have to trust the coaching staff to keep the right one starting
They basically have one per year/class. This upcoming year:

Petras - RS Jr.
Padilla - RS soph.
Hogan - RS Fresh
Labas - first year
In 2022, you add 1 year to each of those guys + May. I guarantee that by summer of 2022 all 5 will not be at Iowa. And that's fine.

May is an interesting prospect. Hard to tell against the competition, he's the biggest kid on the field. But has the frame you look for and moves pretty good. Iowa just needs to find a QB who can be accurate with some semblance of pocket presence.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Grand scheme of things doesn't mean much now being committed to the Hawks but I see Rivals finally assigned him a ranking and has him now as a 3* 5.7 composite. Which is higher end of the rankings of 5.5-5.7. Guess little surprising with his offer list but again end of the day 5.5 or 5.7 doesn't mean that much. Also side not I see the Boise St commit Iowa offered before May flipped and signed with Sparty this week.

Welcome to the Hawkeye Family Carson! You were the guy I was hoping to land for the QB position in Swarm22. You will enjoy your time in IC both athletically and academically. Very excited to have you on board!

For those of you whining about Carson's offer list; Do you remember Chuck Long's offers? Northwestern and Western Illinois. How did that work out for us?

Concerning Spencer Petras. The kid has played less than a season against conference teams only. He did not have the benefit of spring practice or a regular fall camp. I think Spencer deserves some slack form the fanbase.
Yeah it’s not Carson’s fault he played in a smaller class of football which likely led to him not getting noticed by many. That said, hopefully he turns out to be worthy of taking our ‘22 QB slot, not that there were others we could have taken anyway..

We sure seem to struggle getting QBs to come to Iowa, which leads to trying to find a “diamond in the rough” for the most part.

Back on Petras: I think we should all try to be optimistic about Spencer being #1 because what was the excuse for him last season? No spring…no summer…not a lot of reps with his WRs.. etc. Well, he has it all going now.

If Petras is not responsible for some really good offensive production and we’re staring at an Iowa team once again leaning on Defense, Padilla should be given the reigns early. We need to be winning from the start of the season. No quarterback patience. Win the division.

Grand scheme of things doesn't mean much now being committed to the Hawks but I see Rivals finally assigned him a ranking and has him now as a 3* 5.7 composite. Which is higher end of the rankings of 5.5-5.7. Guess little surprising with his offer list but again end of the day 5.5 or 5.7 doesn't mean that much. Also side not I see the Boise St commit Iowa offered before May flipped and signed with Sparty this week.
Yes the 5.7 Rivals ranking is the highest a 3-star gets. At 5.8 they go to 4-star level.

The aforementioned JC, along with Tate, Hogan, Petras, and Weigers were all 4* QBs.

Thanks for the refresh. Good example of how recruiting rankings aren't necessarily an indication of future results.

JC. Major disappointment. (killed more gophers than Carl Spackler)
Tate, outstanding playmaker, one of the all-time great QBs at IOWA
Hogan TBD
Petras TBD but not off to a great start
Weigers, OK but not great.

Then you've got plenty of 3*s who outperformed expectations.

Lots to like in May's film. He's got a nice, tight throwing motion. Puts the ball where his receivers can get it, good pocket feel and can run a bit.

Thanks for the refresh. Good example of how recruiting rankings aren't necessarily an indication of future results.

Hogan TBD

Lots to like in May's film. He's got a nice, tight throwing motion. Puts the ball where his receivers can get it, good pocket feel and can run a bit.

That's why we should just target 5 starts 😎

Hogan TBD

check me if i'm wrong, Sandy, but Carl didn't kill any gophers... of course JC killed lots more than 0, so your argument is valid!

They basically have one per year/class. This upcoming year:

Petras - RS Jr.
Padilla - RS soph.
Hogan - RS Fresh
Labas - first year
In 2022, you add 1 year to each of those guys + May. I guarantee that by summer of 2022 all 5 will not be at Iowa. And that's fine.

May is an interesting prospect. Hard to tell against the competition, he's the biggest kid on the field. But has the frame you look for and moves pretty good. Iowa just needs to find a QB who can be accurate with some semblance of pocket presence.
You can get a general idea of his timing; seems on most of the time and judging speed and distances well; as well as what he does when he gets under pressure. I read an interview another site did with him and he stated that KOK told him he believes he has the most upside of any QB he has ever brought in. Whether that is a good or bad thing we shall see.

I misinterpreted the rating system graphic at first, it kinda looks like all full sliver stars = 5 star. Ima just stick with that in principal.

Great video. Shows a nice, compact throwing motion, doesn't appear to lock in on one receiver, good field vision, seems to know when to get out of the pocket and which way to spin/turn, can really gun it when he needs to, can run the sneak with good success. Looks like a steal! Gotta keep him now until signing day!

AJ Derby also a 4* recruit. Yes, I know, as an athlete, but he came in as a QB and was recruited by others at QB (including Pope Urban when he was at Florida).

Great video. Shows a nice, compact throwing motion, doesn't appear to lock in on one receiver, good field vision, seems to know when to get out of the pocket and which way to spin/turn, can really gun it when he needs to, can run the sneak with good success. Looks like a steal! Gotta keep him now until signing day!
This will be the thing - can we keep him (sign him to a LOI)? I have a feeling we will, but there will be new competition before it's over.

Reactions: BBHawk
Yes. True. He ended up not using his license to kill gophers from the government of the UN. That’s why Carl, according to the Lama, received, on his death bed, Eternal Consciousness.

With the commits from May and Bostick, We are on a roll!

gopher dancing GIF

Gunga. Galunga. I'll say it again. Gunga......Galunga. Big hitter, the Lama.

We go over this same shit every year. Iowa offers unranked kid, people like you complain, kid blows up his senior year, more P5 offers come, people like you disappear until next summer. Rinse and repeat.
Those unranked Iowa players have contributed a lot to the 5-0 run over ISU

Curious if you are going to the game this year. Son graduated from CSU but identifies as a Hawk and is flying in from JAX for the game. Been out in the Springs since 80 but always go back for a game or two.
We have a whole crew coming out from Ft Collins for this game.

Super excited to see my 2 favorite teams play!

He’s playing against small schools. 2a in OK is sixth smallest division.

but that’s why he was waaay under the radar.

he is legit. Moves well. Athletic. Accurate. Poised.

I admit I wasn’t thrilled when a guy with three offers commits so early.

I didn’t watch more than a minute of highlights.

just watched them all from his junior year. Linked in this article.

HOLY FRIGGIN SHEET!!!!

his pass protection is not good so he creates play after play. Throws across his body. He breaks multiple long runs. Jukes and makes people miss regularly. He is almost a dual threat QB.

I watched another guy with Carson’s size and accuracy and athleticism play in a small Ohio school. Only started at qb for a year or two. HS coach was an idiot. Ohio State offered him at TE. Miami wanted him at QB.

Carson looks exactly like Roethlisberger. Super athletic. Sees the whole field. Creative. Having fun! Wow.

if he keeps working hard, if he attends some elite camps and gets additional coaching like Petras did this past summer, this kid has what it takes to be an all time great. Haven’t been this excited about a QB coming to Iowa in 20 years.

You can get a general idea of his timing; seems on most of the time and judging speed and distances well; as well as what he does when he gets under pressure. I read an interview another site did with him and he stated that KOK told him he believes he has the most upside of any QB he has ever brought in. Whether that is a good or bad thing we shall see.
Yeah ... elements of his game seem a little reminiscent of Josh Allen. He has size ... but he also has some mobility to him. Good feet with some athleticism ... he can create with that.

Kid seems like a promising talent.

ADVERTISEMENT