ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes = Patriots

Hawqize

Rookie
Jun 13, 2020
I live half the year in Boston, and I’ve been here for the past couple of months. It is incredible how much the fans and media here are roasting Belichick for his mishandling of the quarterbacks (he removed his 2 year starter in the first quarter after an interception) and an inept offense handled by incompetent coaches. BTW, Belichick’s two sons are assistant coaches in his staff, although no one seems to think they’re doing a bad job. The sports talk radio (I usually listen to WEEI) is wall-to-wall criticism of the entire coaching staff, and the media is finally rebelling against Belichick’s arrogant and dismissive treatment of folks covering the team.

Sound familiar?

I live half the year in Boston, and I’ve been here for the past couple of months. It is incredible how much the fans and media here are roasting Belichick for his mishandling of the quarterbacks (he removed his 2 year starter in the first quarter after an interception) and an inept offense handled by incompetent coaches. BTW, Belichick’s two sons are assistant coaches in his staff, although no one seems to think they’re doing a bad job. The sports talk radio (I usually listen to WEEI) is wall-to-wall criticism of the entire coaching staff, and the media is finally rebelling against Belichick’s arrogant and dismissive treatment of folks covering the team.

Sound familiar?
As a lifelong Patriots fan, the situation is exactly the same.

Right down to Jones starting this weekend. I expect Ferentz to do the wrong thing as well & start Petras Saturday.

The only difference between the two is that Belichick is a way worse coach than Ferentz.

I suppose if Iowa had won 6 national championships and finished 2nd 3 other times during KF's tenure, this season would be a little easier to swallow.

Reactions: jhawk23

Sound familiar?
Yes is does sound familiar. Football fans are incessantly ignorant everywhere.

Belichick is easily one of the best football coaches ever but fans not only find a way for him to not be good enough, but act like somehow the sky is falling in New England lol.

Also familiar is how it shows what expectations do. Both Patriots and Hawkeyes are in the habit of being good, so fans can't handle an occasional hicup

Last edited:
I suppose if Iowa had won 6 national championships and finished 2nd 3 other times during KF's tenure, this season would be a little easier to swallow.
Would it now? Are you absolutely sure about that? How do you think that Alabama fans and media would be reacting to Saban right now if they were 3-4 and dead last in total offense? They would all just give him a pass and swallow it? Hmmmm. I don't know about that one.

How many conference titles? 1 and that was 18 years ago. Bowl games as a measure of success is just plain idiotic. Anyone and everyone gets to go to a bowl game.
not true. not even close to true... just look in the big 10, Nebraska recently has missed bowls, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, have all often missed bowls. Kirk has more bowl wins than some of those teams have bowl appearances in his tenure.

not true. not even close to true... just look in the big 10, Nebraska recently has missed bowls, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, have all often missed bowls. Kirk has more bowl wins than some of those teams have bowl appearances in his tenure.
So you want to be identified with Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana and Illinois? Why don’t you add Northwestern?
Don’t you have higher aspirations?

Reactions: hawkeye_power
So you want to be identified with Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana and Illinois? Why don’t you add Northwestern?
Don’t you have higher aspirations?
I was only responding that bowl games isn't a mark of success, there's plenty of programs that would disagree.

How many conference titles? 1 and that was 18 years ago. Bowl games as a measure of success is just plain idiotic. Anyone and everyone gets to go to a bowl game.
Conference titles as a measure of success is just as idiotic as long as Ohio State is in the B1G. There's no way in hell an Iowa coach can be expected to beat OSU each year

Yeah, no. Patriots won a high number of super bowls, cheated, did everything they possibly could to win. KF does not do that, he’s not crafty- just sticks to his normals and a lot of teams aren’t used to that style of play- but it doesn’t work with an awful qb and online.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk

Right down to Jones starting this weekend. I expect Ferentz to do the wrong thing as well & start Petras Saturday.

The only difference between the two is that Belichick is a way worse coach than Ferentz.
Well, Belichick is definitely a worse dresser... ;)

He was smart enough to pull Mac after just three possessions, something KF would NEVER do. Zappe was a fan favorite for sure and looked pretty good there for awhile....

Last edited:
Belichick was a HC for 6 years before Tom Brady, but only made the playoffs once.

Once Brady made starter, the Patriots made the playoffs every year except when Brady was hurt.

After he cut Brady, Patriots have only made the playoffs once.

Without Tom Brady, Belichick has only gotten the Pats to the playoffs once.

Reactions: unclesammy
Why not?owa
Geographic realities of recruiting, for one thing. We don't have the population base to pull from. Expecting Iowa to be the top dog in the B1G year in and year out is ridiculous. In the history of the football program that hasn't happened. Conference championships are the high water mark for us, and that isn't a bad thing. For teams like Ohio State, winning the national title is the goal every year. It's just a different set of expectations.

See
Yes is does sound familiar. Football fans are incessantly ignorant everywhere.

Belichick is easily one of the best football coaches ever but fans not only find a way for him to not be good enough, but act like somehow the sky is falling in New England lol.

Also familiar is how it shows what expectations do. Both Patriots and Hawkeyes are in the habit of being good, so fans can't handle an occasional hicup
Seems as though everyone wants to have something to bitch about nowadays.
Guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Kirk has won shit.
Kirk is a very good coach. Great?? But consistently puts a good product out there and does it the right way. Every program goes through a rough year or two. Michigan, Ohio State, the mighty Nebraska,,,,heck Texas AM right now….. Is the offense boring, yes,yes,yes,,,,, but all things considered he has done a good job.
All of us are stubborn to a certain extent..

Reactions: eyesofhawk

Uh, wut?

I don't know about that. 18 bowl games. 9 Bowl wins. Finished 8th in the country three straight years. Is Iowa supposed to be Alabama?

Goodness... How long is KF going to get to live off the 2002-2004 run... Now go look at his overall output from 2005 -2022. It's marginally over average mostly thanks to a weak non-con and big ten west.

We are 21-36 (.369 winning pct) against ranked opponnents in the last 17 years 2005-2022. Some fans remind me of Nebraska fans but at least they had championships to "glory day" on. We have 8th place finishes...

Yeah, no. Patriots won a high number of super bowls, cheated, did everything they possibly could to win. KF does not do that, he’s not crafty- just sticks to his normals and a lot of teams aren’t used to that style of play- but it doesn’t work with an awful qb and online.
he’s not crafty, but he is snarky.

Kirk is a very good coach. Great?? But consistently puts a good product out there and does it the right way. Every program goes through a rough year or two. Michigan, Ohio State, the mighty Nebraska,,,,heck Texas AM right now….. Is the offense boring, yes,yes,yes,,,,, but all things considered he has done a good job.
Disagree. Kirk is an average coach that was blessed with two outstanding defensive minds.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
Well, Belichick is definitely a worse dresser... ;)

He was smart enough to pull Mac after just three possessions, something KF would NEVER do. Zappe was a fan favorite for sure and looked pretty good there for awhile....
What on earth are you rambling about?

Zappe lost big to the Bears and the predictable timing issues of having the backup in the game were evident. Not surprisingly, there was a fumbled hand-off for a turnover because Zappe and the 1's had no reps together during the week

Every year 3 non conference games are pretty much a given win so you’re already half way to bowl qualification before conference play even begins.

KF's stubbornness is probably the main reason Iowa has had such sustained success.

He will never try to quick-fix, band-aid, or copycat. And he built the program in the right way. I remember when it clicked for me during KF's first season that he was the man for the job. They couldn't purchase a win but it was clear that something was being built. You could tell the team was focusing on a few basic things, and a few basic things only. As an example, they would literally run the stretch zone to the left on almost every play. It was an absolute masterpiece watching the house be built brick by brick. That house has been standing strong for over 20 years now. Very few losing years in there. The Hawkeye House has stood strong for a long time because it was built the right way. Stubbornly and correctly. The house of cards built by numerous other coaches would have blown over a long time ago

Reactions: KFsdisciple
I don't know about that. 18 bowl games. 9 Bowl wins. Finished 8th in the country three straight years. Is Iowa supposed to be Alabama?

Are you a real poster or KF's PR firm?

You do know KF has two automatic wins each season playing a directional school at
Kinnick + IOwa is in the Weak Big10 west and he only has to be close to 0.500 in B1G to get to a bowl game

Belichek won Superbowls. KF is 0-2 in B1G title games.

KF has had good success at Iowa, but top end limited and his best year's are behind him. I would say Phil Parker has had enormous success and deserves accolades...the offense run by KF/BF is a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT