ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes will host two night games this season

Apr 8, 2003
vs. Pitt (9/19) and vs. Minnesota (11/14).

---

IOWA RELEASE

---

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The home schedule for the 2015 University of Iowa football team includes a first: Two games that will kick off under the lights of prime time television. The announcement was made Tuesday by the Big Ten Network (BTN) and the Big Ten Conference.

Iowa's home game against Pittsburgh on Saturday, Sept. 19, and its annual battle for Floyd of Rosedale against Minnesota on Saturday, Nov. 14, will be played in prime time and televised live to a national television audience by BTN. Start times for each game will be announced later.

"We're excited about the night game selections. We know our fans enjoy the special electricity that fills Kinnick Stadium when we're playing under the lights," said Gary Barta, the UI's director of athletics.

"We're also appreciative of BTN's interest in our football program and the support we received from our partners on the UI campus and in the community when agreeing to two opportunities for our student-athletes to compete in what is a special environment," Barta added.

The UI has not played a night game at Kinnick Stadium since entertaining Penn State in October, 2012. The 2015 season will mark the first time the Hawkeyes will play more than one game under the lights at Kinnick Stadium. Iowa has hosted 10 evening games in Kinnick Stadium, with five of those starting after 7 p.m.

Iowa is 6-4 in night games in Kinnick Stadium. Iowa has wins over Northwestern (2011), Penn State (2010), Michigan (2009), Syracuse (2007), Arizona State (2003), and Northern Illinois (1999), and losses to Penn State (2012), Ohio State (2006), Iowa State (2002), and Miami, Florida (1992).

Iowa opens its 2015 season on Saturday, Sept. 5, against Illinois State. That is the first of seven home games for the Hawkeyes, with North Texas, Illinois, Maryland, and Purdue, in addition to Pittsburgh and Minnesota, visiting Iowa City.

Fans of the Hawkeyes who were season ticket customers in 2014 should note that the deadline for renewal orders is Friday, April 24. Fans of the Hawkeyes who would like to become new season ticket customers should contact the UI Athletics Ticket Office at 1-800 IA-HAWKS.

Current UI students can save $50 on the purchase of their 2015 season ticket if they order by the last day of finals week - Friday, May 15. Current UI students can order their season ticket online by clicking on the "Buy Tickets" link in the upper right hand corner of hawkeyesports.com and follow the instructions for "Student Tickets."

The Hawkeyes will hold their annual open spring practice in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, April 25. Gates open at noon, with practice scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. Fans are encouraged to bring a canned food item in support of the annual America Needs Farmers Food Drive.

---

BIG TEN RELEASE

---

CHICAGO – BTN’s 2015 primetime football schedule will feature the conference’s 2014 West Division Champion Wisconsin Badgers, Cotton Bowl Champion Michigan State and Michigan in its first year under new head coach Jim Harbaugh among its contests on six key Saturday nights.

Twelve of the 14 Big Ten schools will play in primetime on BTN, and four of the games are conference contests, including Minnesota at Iowa in the first-ever primetime battle for the Floyd of Rosedale Trophy at Kinnick Stadium.

“Since BTN launched, there has never been more anticipation leading into the football season,” said BTN President Mark Silverman.

The first of BTN’s conference matchups in primetime features Rutgers at Penn State on Sept. 19. Last season in the Scarlet Knights’ Big Ten debut, the Nittany Lions played the spoiler and left Piscataway victorious after a late touchdown drive. This year at Beaver Stadium, Rutgers will look to even the score in this budding rivalry of neighboring state schools.

On Oct. 3, Michigan visits Maryland in a Big Ten East Division clash. The Terrapins defeated the Wolverines 23-16 last year, but with a new regime in place, Michigan has high hopes of returning to the top of the pack. Maryland impressed in its first Big Ten season, finishing the season with a 7-6 record, including 4-4 in conference play.

Michigan State, which ended last season ranked No. 5 in the country after its dramatic comeback victory over Baylor in the Cotton Bowl, visits Rutgers on Oct. 10. The Spartans, a preseason top-10 squad, return quarterback Connor Cook and a number of key cogs on the defensive side who are intent on earning a spot in this year’s College Football Playoff.

BTN closes out its primetime slate on Nov. 14 with the Floyd of Rosedale rivalry game, when the Hawkeyes host the Gophers. Iowa has won six of the last 10, but Minnesota looks to capture the trophy for the second straight season after its impressive 51-14 victory last year.

BTN’s other primetime selections include Pittsburgh at Iowa on Sept. 19, when former Michigan State defensive coordinator and now Pittsburgh head coach Pat Narduzzi makes his return to the conference. Also on the schedule are Hawaii at Wisconsin and Ball State at Northwestern.

In all, BTN will televise at least 40 football games this fall. Start times and television arrangements for other early season games will be announced at a later date.

BTN’s Primetime Schedule

Saturday, Sept. 12
South Alabama at Nebraska

Saturday, Sept. 19
Rutgers at Penn State

Saturday, September 26
Hawaii at Wisconsin

Saturday, October 3
Michigan at Maryland

Saturday, October 10
Michigan State at Rutgers

Saturday, November 14
Minnesota at Iowa

*Kent State at Illinois on Friday, Sept. 4 previously announced

*Florida International at Indiana on Sept. 12, Pittsburgh at Iowa on Sept. 19 and Ball State at Northwestern on Sept. 26 will also appear in primetime in the Big Ten team’s home market and on Extra Football Game Channels and BTN2Go elsewhere.

This post was edited on 4/13 2:29 PM by Blair Sanderson

The November one is a major surprise to me. Getting out after a night game is always an adventure, but if there's even an inch of snow that falls that night it would be beyond awful.

HOLY FARK!!! 7pm game on November 14th will be an adventure. A WINNING adventure.

Originally posted by ichawk24:
HOLY FARK!!! 7pm game on November 14th will be an adventure. A WINNING adventure.
I hope everyone who bitched about no night games gets off their duff and buys tickets.

My season tickets have already been purchased. I'll see you all at Kinnick.

Did anyone else notice Big Ten games on Sunday 9-6, and Monday 9-7? Also, Thursday and Friday games of the first weekend.

My season tickets have already been purchased. I'll see you all at Kinnick.
Me too. Go Hawks.
smile.r191677.gif

The last november night game I remember was against Ohio St in 2010. It was cold but it was fun (except for the loss, damn terrelle pryor)!

That definitely spices up the schedule some. I can't wait for the night games. Should be a great time.

Originally posted by crHawkeye92:
The last november night game I remember was against Ohio St in 2010. It was cold but it was fun (except for the loss, damn terrelle pryor)!
That was in October not November. The Big Ten just recently approved night games in November.

Originally posted by TankHawk:

Originally posted by crHawkeye92:
That was in October not November. The Big Ten just recently approved night games in November.
It was November 20, but it wasn't a night game. It started at 2:30.

Night games in November, in the Midwest, are a RETARDED idea.

I hate November night games. What a joke Barta!!!!!!!!!!! I hope we get more than 50,000 to show up.

I'm going to go all pessimistic here - So for 2 years the AD and university decided that night games were no good because of the drunken mass of fans that couldn't be trusted and now in the face of waning ticket sales Iowa gets TWO night games? Brilliant!

Originally posted by ICWestfan:

I'm going to go all pessimistic here - So for 2 years the AD and university decided that night games were no good because of the drunken mass of fans that couldn't be trusted and now in the face of waning ticket sales Iowa gets TWO night games? Brilliant!
With Sally on her way out of town, no one is watching the chicken coop. It will be anarchy. At least, one can dream.

The fans bitch and moan for 2 years about the lack of night games. The athletic department gives the fans what they want, and then they bitch and moan!!! Brilliant!

The fans bitch and moan for 2 years about the lack of night games. The athletic department gives the fans what they want, and then they bitch and moan!!! Brilliant!
Seems you're the only one bitching. Why did Iowa suddenly get 2 night games after 2 seasons of none? Seems odd doesn't it, especially given the current prohibitionist culture the AD and University have instilled? Could it be that a certain Athletic Director was gesticulating at the crotch of the almighty BIG and BTN in response to declining ticket sales? That's where my pessimism comes from (or skepticism).

Cool, Iowa has 2 night games. If I am motivated I might even cruise on over and pick up a cheap ticket. Then again, I might not.

I don't see any "bitching" in his post about having night games. I also do not see anything in his post that would even make it seem like he doesn't want them. I think the majority of fans are happy to have night games back, although some are reasonably concerned with how the November night game will be in terms of temperature.

What I do see is a pretty good post that points out some of the hypocrisy within this administration/athletic program.

Some of you guys need to brush up on your logic and reasoning skills. It is somewhat alarming.

Edit*** Looks like ICWest already responded.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:45 PM by ThatsFootball

In seldom snows on November 14th. It happens, but its very rare, I think we'll be OK.

Seems you're the only one bitching. Why did Iowa suddenly get 2 night games after 2 seasons of none? Seems odd doesn't it, especially given the current prohibitionist culture the AD and University have instilled? Could it be that a certain Athletic Director was gesticulating at the crotch of the almighty BIG and BTN in response to declining ticket sales? That's where my pessimism comes from (or skepticism).

Cool, Iowa has 2 night games. If I am motivated I might even cruise on over and pick up a cheap ticket. Then again, I might not.
Nah you're not bitching when you say you're taking the pessimistic route in your post. You're doing something much worse.......You're putting yourself on a pedestal.

lurk.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

I don't see any "bitching" in his post about having night games. I also do not see anything in his post that would even make it seem like he doesn't want them. I think the majority of fans are happy to have night games back, although some are reasonably concerned with how the November night game will be in terms of temperature.

What I do see is a pretty good post that points out some of the hypocrisy within this administration/athletic program.

Some of you guys need to brush up on your logic and reasoning skills. It is somewhat alarming.

Edit*** Looks like ICWest already responded.

This post was edited on 4/14 1:45 PM by ThatsFootball
Care to revisit this post 24 and show us where he was 'bitching' about having night games? Or just a hit and run?

ADVERTISEMENT