ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks add RB grad transfer from Nevada.

This is an interesting pick up. Doesn't seem like Iowa does it very often. They must not be totally confident in the back up RB situation.

Reactions: Ree4
Similar to Wadley then? Could be interesting, both with pass catching abilities. Wonder if they can get both in the backfield at the same time.

Reactions: Herkmeister

shake-and-bake.jpg

Looked back at some of the recruiting website. Looks like Chris White paid him a visit back in 2013 and he attended a camp that same year.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Meh - former 2-star RB from Wheaton, IL.

I jest ... intriguing addition. Good college production for Nevada. Also in the 210 lb ball-park ... a little more size to complement Wadley.

I suppose that part of what motivated the transfer was that Nevada just had a coaching transition.

I jest ... intriguing addition. Good college production for Nevada. Also in the 210 lb ball-park ... a little more size to complement Wadley.

I suppose that part of what motivated the transfer was that Nevada just had a coaching transition.
Former Hawkeye Jay Norvell just took over as coach it sounds like he is going to run a pass happy Offense. I wonder if he help this kid find a new place.

When I heard about the pick up I thought great for Iowa. At the same time thought what would make a guy go from the starter to a backup your senior year. Even if it's going to B1G from MWC.

Looks like a good pick up, wonder if Brian will use more of a 2 back system with either Wadley or Butler in the slot and maybe running jet sweeps or option plays. Either way he looks like he will be a solid back up and give us some great experience behind Wadley.

Reactions: Birdmanil

Interestingly that coaching change at Nevada was Jay Norvell former Hawkeye who just came in.

I was driving to Minneapolis recently and one of my passengers went to high school with him and spoke about him having a real good upbringing and group of people who wanted to make sure he succeeded. I expect to see several more fans in the stands, considering the short trip from Wayne/Bartlett, IL

Reactions: Pigskin48
It sounds like Lester Erb a former Iowa coach that coach this young man a couple years at Nevada before he went to Rutgers might of had something to do with it if so thanks Lester

Former Hawkeye Jay Norvell just took over as coach it sounds like he is going to run a pass happy Offense. I wonder if he help this kid find a new place.
Yeah, Hal Mumme's kid is running the offense for Norvell...former Hawk ast coach-Lester Erb (now at Rutgers), recruited Butler for the Wolfpack.

Edit-nevermind...missed your post mentioning Erb.

Also I'm pumped. How often does a school pick up a Div 1 running back who has two 1300+ rushing yards and two 10+ touchdown seasons. When you see who's behind Wadley, its a lot of unproven players so why not like this pickup. The fact that he's coming here as the man at his school rather than being the 2nd option at a top flight school, gives me the feeling he's going raise the level of competition at the position. His confidence should help.

When I heard about the pick up I thought great for Iowa. At the same time thought what would make a guy go from the starter to a backup your senior year. Even if it's going to B1G from MWC.
The young man is probably looking to become part of a two-headed monster for the Hawks. Thus, I don't that he's going to consider himself Wadley's backup.

Also, at Iowa he'll be running behind one heck of an OL, he'll be running within a pro-friendly system (good for transitions to NFL), the B1G has a lot more exposure than the MWC, and also there's the connection to Lester Erb.

As others have speculated, given Iowa's deficiencies at WR - having decent and versatile strengths at RB and TE could potentially help the O to be successful. Between LeShun's graduation, Mitchell's departure, and Tok's transition within our system - it is nice to have a little more experience to help buffer our rushing attack.

I was thinking Iowa was really close to being full or over on scholarships. I wouldn't think this guy would transfer to Iowa without scholarship Would he?

Curious to see how much balance the Hawks will achieve and how soon. With some balance via the passing attach, I could see Wadley and Butler (and a few others) having a great year running the rock. Otherwise, still nice to have the experience sharing the heavy lifting against 8-10 men in the box.

In either case, welcome aboard James! Always a Hawk!

Last edited:
Looks like a good pick up, wonder if Brian will use more of a 2 back system with either Wadley or Butler in the slot and maybe running jet sweeps or option plays. Either way he looks like he will be a solid back up and give us some great experience behind Wadley.
With our passing game in question, that seems a legitimate possibility. Shades of Ronnie Harmon/Owen Gill backfield.

Iowa had a two headed RB last year and both ran for over 1000yds. He might also feel it will help his draft stock in Iowa's system. Great insurance pick up as well if Wadley suffers an injury. Don't count out Young for carries either. He looked very solid this spring.

Iowa had a two headed RB last year and both ran for over 1000yds. He might also feel it will help his draft stock in Iowa's system. Great insurance pick up as well if Wadley suffers an injury. Don't count out Young for carries either. He looked very solid this spring.
The coaches really like Toks too - the kid has a great skill set. It's all about learning to run within our system for him.

The coaches really like Toks too - the kid has a great skill set. It's all about learning to run within our system for him.
I truly hope your right ghost. I realize that the carries that Toks has garnered so far haven't always been under the best conditions. I do think however, that when he gets his carries in the future, he better start being more productive, or he'll find himself slipping behind in a crowded RB pool over the next few years.

I was thinking Iowa was really close to being full or over on scholarships. I wouldn't think this guy would transfer to Iowa without scholarship Would he?

Depends on the graduate financial aid package. He might just want to play his final year of eligibility and would have enrolled regardless.

Smart move for a kid wanting to raise his draft stock...play behind arguably the best OL in the country, get experience and exposure from a pro-style offense, not to mention I know Iowa wants to be 50-50 balance at some point....fact is I do not seeing that point being this year. I could see 60-70% rushing attack this year so there are plenty of carries to go around for several backs....not to mention I think BF could get creative and have either of them play slot or anyother position to get the ball in their hands, could see Wadley in the return game now with more depth- all of this will certainly help the team and individual

Here is one other thought. I don't think it happens. But Butler apparently has a redshirt year available. Maybe he wants to take his red shirt and come in as the number one next year. I'm not sure that's a good gamble on his part and I doubt it happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT