ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks add to RB depth with Juco back Mekhi Sargent

Sargent will have 3 years to play 3.

Louisville offered him a blue shirt in April, but filled their spot before he could take it. UNI and New Mexico State offered last December.

Scholarship is TBD last I heard, but good chance he ends up getting one sooner or later.

Louisville offered him a blue shirt in April, but filled their spot before he could take it. UNI and New Mexico State offered last December.

Scholarship is TBD last I heard, but good chance he ends up getting one sooner or later.
Thanks for the info! Pleasant surprise that he'll get 3 years of eligibility. Another 2 star who might just blow up to be the next big thing!

Last edited:
Does that mean we are at 87?
I'm inclined to beleive he will be a walkon for 18 and depending on his performance, may be on scholly for 19. He's originally from Key West and I'm thinking that he was relatively overlooked during his Junior year of High school. Did well Senior year and ended up going the Juco route. Somebody tell him to convince Chester Graves to tag along!

Welcome aboard. 5-11 215 and 1500ish yards as a juco is solid. Very excited about this pick up and keeping the IWCC pipeline active.
As you stated the pipeline may end up being almost as important. IWCC seems to be turning out some solid D1 players consistently. Can't hurt to have that in our back pocket as a possible feeder with the right players.

File:Al_Bundy_holding_a_Football.jpg
Rushed for 376 yards in a single game. Al Bundy, eat your heart out.
But did he score 4 TD's in a single game like Al Bundy? LOL
best-moments-of-al-bundys-polk-high-pride-db7878b1e360

Is the plan still 2 more RBs for 19 in your opinion?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great under-the-radar addition. IWCC is not some podunk CC. They do, indeed, have excellent coaching and get plenty of D-1 kids who, for whatever reason, didn't get taken. This young man sounds like one of those NFL free agents . . . a guy who was passed over but who sure seems to have great potential. And, BTW, you can never have too many good RBs. He will surely provide some competition at the position this fall and, I think, will likely see significant playing time. And with three years of eligibility . . . wow. From here, it looks like a great job by KF and staff on this one.

Looks like a good pick up to me. However, if he truly is 5’11, those tapes show him competing against basketball players dressed in football uniforms!

Looks like a good pick up to me. However, if he truly is 5’11, those tapes show him competing against basketball players dressed in football uniforms!
His high school listing on rivals lists his height at 5-10. He's maybe that ... rounding up. However, to be a good RB, you don't need to be tall.

What I saw from Mekhi is that he squares his pads well and he has very good balance. That's probably part of the reason why he didn't often go down on first contact on the highlight film.

Seems like a young man who could be solid for us.

Is the plan still 2 more RBs for 19 in your opinion?
Supposing that Mekhi IS on scholarship ... I'm willing to bet that he at least plays some this year. Thus, in terms of eligibility, we'd still want/need 2 RBs in the current class. Of course, part of that might also hinge on how Evans ends up looking at RB.

My guess is that they likely were planning on 2 RBs in the class before they knew that Toks would most likely be a scratch (due to health reasons). Mekhi helps to "replace" Toks ... but it doesn't change the future need at the position.

Mekhi is a great kid. Humble. Hard worker. He was a little upset he didn't have more offers after this past season so he's ready to prove the doubters wrong. Our kind of guy.

Thanks for the info, @Broadhead81 . Do you have any insights as to why Mekhi didn’t receive any offers coming out of high school? Guys who score 27 touchdowns in a season in Florida usually get a look or two. TIA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT