ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks grab another 2024 instate commit.

Williamsburg LBer Derek Weisskopf just committed. I think now Iowa has 3 out of top 4 in state kids for the 24 class. A 3 star who picked the hawks over offers from Nebby and Iowa state.

You forgot about his second biggest offer behind Iowa...Wisconsin.

Reactions: JKHawk
boom.gif

It’s crazy we’re saying that because Keuter appears to be in the same mold as Campbell.
Kueter strikes me as an uncommon physical guy ... I almost might prefer him as a DL-prospect. However, I'll be curious about his play in coverage (and his overall speed) - if he remains at LB. Certainly, as a wrestler, he has great short-area quickness and explosiveness.

Anyhow, it should be fun to follow his development.

Of course ... many folks questioned Campbell at LB too ... and that's obviously worked out pretty darn well!

Sounds like a great all-around athlete that will really flourish when he focuses on football. He's putting up those numbers as a sophomore.

Awesome get! Kid looks like a real badass. This 2024 class is starting out very nicely. They would all probably be 4 star guys if they weren’t committed to Iowa.

Awesome get! Kid looks like a real badass. This 2024 class is starting out very nicely. They would all probably be 4 star guys if they weren’t committed to Iowa.
I wouldn't worry about "stars" ... the guys definitely seems like strong talents indeed!

The 2024 class is definitely looking VERY strong!

Reactions: cmhawks99
Now that he he has committed to Iowa he won't get any upgrade on his 3 stars. Should have been a quiet verbal and then he would have had a chance to get to a four. Not a biggie...

Now that he he has committed to Iowa he won't get any upgrade on his 3 stars. Should have been a quiet verbal and then he would have had a chance to get to a four. Not a biggie...
You are probably right. Very good frame (height/reach) and a real fluid athlete. As others have said, huge upside once he focuses on football full time. Iowa has a pretty good track record of when they offer the local guys very early in the process, they turn out to be really good players.

True. Always good to beat out UW for a player. I believe he also high jumped 6'9".

For what it’s worth and I might not be quite as “up to snuff“ on high school and college athletics as I think…but I’m i’m only grabbing bits and pieces over the last what, week or so, he’s committed. I haven’t paid that much attention because it’s still a long way out but we’re talking about a Rangy Midwestern quite rural I think Iowa farm boy and he hit 69… in the high jump…WTH…I knew that was really good but hell I had to go look to see what is considered a good hi jump i”@ D1 college and it’s 7’2”….

He is 6-3, 205, right?

No way he’s getting great “training“ in Iowa high schools in track and field for the high jump…you’re basically talking about pure raw fluidity and athleticism!

That’s impressive stuff…. This staff knows how to find football players and they are getting earlier and earlier in the process of identifying them and finding them and giving themselves a much better chance it’s, pretty insane!!

Reactions: hawkhorn and rchawk
6'9"?

Nice.

Check this out & watch:

WOW!!!……..just wow!! Again I’ll say…to have that kind of fluidity and for those that haven’t periodically watched high jump over the years it’s an insane indicator of just pure raw explosion & in air agility (and I still say fluidity gets it best) that is pretty damn fluid for a Midtown Iowa high school football player who is already 63 and 200+!! Yikes!!

Plus’s, he’s already pretty thick those high jumpers are rail thin!!

SE Valley teammate of Aaron Graves, WR Kaleb Scott, also has high jumped 6'9" this spring.
The guy that scored on blocked punt vs Nebraska last year is also a walk on from SE Valley..
SE Valley has been good to Iowa football.
Hope Scott is another walk on.

Reactions: cmhawks99
What? If you're a guy who already landed at the program you want to be at ... who the hell gives a shit how many "stars" are by your name. They are quite meaningless. Ultimately, for a football player ... the primary thing that matters is how you seize your opportunities and how that translates to the field.

SE Valley teammate of Aaron Graves, WR Kaleb Scott, also has high jumped 6'9" this spring.
The guy that scored on blocked punt vs Nebraska last year is also a walk on from SE Valley..
SE Valley has been good to Iowa football.
Hope Scott is another walk on.
he recently committed to a smaller school for track, Doane

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkjt
What? If you're a guy who already landed at the program you want to be at ... who the hell gives a shit how many "stars" are by your name. They are quite meaningless. Ultimately, for a football player ... the primary thing that matters is how you seize your opportunities and how that translates to the field.
I assume he was joking.

It doesn't mean crap to you but to most people and probably him it matters. Does a 3.5 gpa mean crap or would he rather have a 4.2 and maybe end up at Stanford? Does a 4.3 time in track mean anything in track compared to a 4.7. Does an All American center who has arms 1" shorter than most matter. ( TL) Probably a couple of million of dollars. So yes, a 5 star rating does mean something in long run. JMO Does making a million dollars a year compared to $100,000 mean anything to your wife? Probably not!! Smile

I think Weisskopf is the most intriguing athlete we've landed in a long time. I said that same thing about Buffington too. Reis is also an extremely good athlete, he's just more of a power athlete than Weisskopf and Cam. If we land all 3 of these guys, this defense is gonna be extremely salty.

Perspective is a big thing. He likely isn't too concerned about a potential extra star.
On the other hand, NIL can change a lot of things. That can be real money and can affect things a lot while in college.

That last name is going to get butchered on this board.
Oh come on! A lot of us are old enough to remember the old pro golfer and many more of us have German ancestry to help us out there. Not sure I'd want to be called white head though, it seems a bit derogatory IMO.

It doesn't mean crap to you but to most people and probably him it matters. Does a 3.5 gpa mean crap or would he rather have a 4.2 and maybe end up at Stanford? Does a 4.3 time in track mean anything in track compared to a 4.7. Does an All American center who has arms 1" shorter than most matter. ( TL) Probably a couple of million of dollars. So yes, a 5 star rating does mean something in long run. JMO Does making a million dollars a year compared to $100,000 mean anything to your wife? Probably not!! Smile
Poor analogy. You EARN your GPA ... of course, even a GPA doesn't mean shit if you acquire it by taking a bunch of easy classes. Advanced basket weaving ain't gonna land somebody in MIT or caltech.

If you consider "stars" ... one part of that is perceived potential ... not something that is earned. Another part of it relates to exposure ... that is a reflection of how many camps a kid does, what high school a kid plays for, and what state the kid lives in.

Anyhow, the stars by your name coming out of high school really doesn't play a role in how a guy ultimately develops into a NFL-level talent.

Look at all the stars acquired by Jake Christensen ... did that translate to a big NFL payday? How about Oliver Martin?

In contrast, how about Iowa's Amani Hooker? How about Trey Lance ... a low 3-star coming out of Marshall, MN?

So you admit your wrong again but just love to post to get responses!!!

So you admit your wrong again but just love to post to get responses!!!
Wow ... how did you draw that conclusion?

Firstly ...
  • I deconstructed how caring about a GPA is DIFFERENT ... because GPA is largely something that is earned.
  • A guy can bust his hump on the football field ... and be PROVABLY a tremendous football player on TAPE ... and yet such a guy still might get recognized as ONLY being a 2 or 3-star player (if he's rated at all). That would be like getting straight A's in tough classes ... and yet, for some reason, your high school only reports a 2.0 for your GPA. Such a thing would be a mischaracterization of your abilities and/or accomplishments.
  • This demonstrates that your GPA to star-rating analogy was very poor.
Secondly ...
  • You CLAIMED that the number of stars by your name MATTERS as it relates to what your ultimate pay will become.
  • Your CLAIM only has some merit as it potentially relates to overzealous boosters encouraging NIL deals for highly rated recruits. Mind you ... your argument has SOME merit ... and not NO merit. Small kudos for that ...
  • However, to suggest that the number of stars by the name of a recruit matters as it relates to their NFL aspirations and their EARNING potential in the pros ... you're drawing a FALSE correlation.
  • Elite athletes who develop their skills to become high-level performers ... such guys have the raw tangibles, ability, desire (motivation), and will (work-ethic and fortitude) to succeed. Those are the guys who end up earning the big-money ... and if they demonstrated those attributes in high school too ... then sure, they MIGHT have had a lot of stars by their name too.
  • However, it's just as possible that guys DIDN'T have the stars coming out of high school ... but still had those attributes in college. Hell ... it's possible that the guys may have initially been too immature ... but then possible ACQUIRED those attributes in college. The point being ... once they have those attributes AND have the college game as a platform from which to "audition" for the NFL ... then the rest pretty much takes care of itself.
Thus, the point here being one of causation. You are incorrectly attributing a "payday" to stars by a name rather than the ACTUAL attributes that gave rise to the opportunity in the first place!

ADVERTISEMENT