ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks in the pros

funnyfletcher

HR Heisman
Apr 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
www.funnyfletcher.com
Since the MLB draft starts this evening, here’s a rundown on how the former Hawks, and guys who committed to Iowa, but ended up signing with the pros, are doing. Jake Yacinich was released recently. Was struggling at the plate.

Joel Booker A+ .288, 34 runs, 8 doubles, 12 steals
Malique Ziegler A .275
Nick Roscetti A .326
Jake Adams A .277 11 doubles, 8 homers, 31 RBI
Mason McCoy A .249 7 triples

Ryan Borucki AAA 5-5 3.14/1.24
Matt Dermody AAA 7.20/2.20 he’s been hurt
Tyler Peyton A+ 2-1 1.30/1.27 5 saves
Nick Gallagher A 0-2 4.50/1.60
Blake Hickman A+ 4.18/1.56

Reactions: beahawk and mehawk
Yachinich was an 8th round pick. He even made it up to AAA for a week during his one healthy season. He was injured way too much and just couldn't get it going.

Ryan Erickson still shows active with Great Falls but has no 2018 numbers. His milb numbers are awful in 2017.

Yachinich was an 8th round pick. He even made it up to AAA for a week during his one healthy season. He was injured way too much and just couldn't get it going.

Ryan Erickson still shows active with Great Falls but has no 2018 numbers. His milb numbers are awful in 2017.

Erickson and Chris Comito are teammates. Kendall Coleman is still hanging around with the Yankees organization, too.

I planned to see Adams and Roscetti play tonight in Appleton until seeing Jake was called up this morning. Instead of facing disappointment, I found my way to the hotel bar to help feel better about myself; I’m in Green Bay, after all.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
Here's an update from the Gazette:

How Cedar Rapids area and former Iowa Hawkeye players are doing in pro baseball

Through Friday, June 8, 2018

A periodic look at how former Cedar Rapids area preps and Iowa baseball players are faring in the pros.

Jake Adams (Iowa) — First baseman was promoted last week from low-A Quad Cities to high-A Buies Creek in the Astros system. Adams hit .277, with eight homers and 31 RBIs in 48 games for QC. He is 0-for-10 in three games for Buies Creek.

Joel Booker (Iowa) — Outfielder hitting .271 in 46 games for high-A Winston-Salem (White Sox). Had a four-game stretch last week in which he had seven hits, including his fifth homer of the season.

Matt Dermody (Iowa) — Pitcher remains on disabled list at Triple-A Buffalo (Blue Jays), where he had a 7.20 earned run average in five relief outings.

Nick Gallagher (Iowa/Iowa City West) — In nine games for low-A Lake County (Indians), has 0-2 record, a save and 4.50 earned run average. Has struck out 32 in 30 innings.

Blake Hickman (Iowa) — Reliever for high-A Winston-Salem (White Sox) has no record and 4.05 ERA in 15 games. Has 28 strikeouts in 26 2/3 innings.

Mitch Keller (Cedar Rapids Xavier) — It was six shutout innings against Reading in his last start for the promising right-handed pitcher for Altoona (Pirates). Is 6-2 with a 3.27 ERA in 11 starts this season, allowing just 55 hits in 66 innings and striking out 63.

Mason McCoy (Iowa) — Shortstop with Delmarva (Orioles) of low-A South Atlantic League is hitting .241 in 52 games, with a homer and 17 RBIs.

Nick Roscetti (Iowa) — Infielder also was promoted out of the Midwest League last week, going from Wisconsin (Brewers) to Carolina of the high-A Carolina League. Hit .326 in 39 games for Wisconsin. Went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in his first game for Carolina.

Tyler Peyton (Iowa) — Relief pitcher is 2-1 with five saves and a 1.52 ERA in 17 appearances for high-A Myrtle Beach (Cubs). Picked up three saves last week.

Scott Schebler (Cedar Rapids Prairie) — Cincinnati Reds outfielder has improved his batting average to .291, with eight homers and 23 RBIs. Is 14 for 28 over his last seven games and 20 for 55 (.355) over his last 15 games.

Last edited:
What is happening with the guy from Solon. I think Loveless?? Havent read anything about him. Is he still in pro ball?

Neustrom 2 for 4 last night with a double and the teams only run. Allgeyer made his debut pitching an inning and giving up a run. Daniels just signed so hopefully he will be playing soon. Cropley should be playing soon, too. Lots of Hawks in the minors.

I know Schanuel had leverage for a contract being a Jr, but part of me thinks he should have stayed. Had way too many control issues this year.

I know Schanuel had leverage for a contract being a Jr, but part of me thinks he should have stayed. Had way too many control issues this year.

Professional coaches will be working with him on control. those practices will involve more time and coaching than he is allowed to receive at Iowa, especially during summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT