ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks lead the nation in attendance

Todd Conner

HB MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Why is the Hawkeye logo the color of Urine?
Always Sunny Troll GIF

They hold most of their duals in Rec Hall, which holds fewer than 7000. They do the big ones in BJC, which holds over 15,000. I sort of doubt they could sell out BJC everytime, unless someone like Iowa or tOSU is in town.
No. The BJC is not controlled by the athletics department but instead by the PSU Auxiliary and Business Services Unit. The state paid for the vast majority of the facility and as such demanded that it be used for many things to benefit the region such as concerts, etc. So, athletics has to work around the other events including losing the facility for an entire weekend every winter for Thon. This past season there were no openings on weekends so we ended up scheduling Rutgers on Monday night.

No. The BJC is not controlled by the athletics department but instead by the PSU Auxiliary and Business Services Unit. The state paid for the vast majority of the facility and as such demanded that it be used for many things to benefit the region such as concerts, etc. So, athletics has to work around the other events including losing the facility for an entire weekend every winter for Thon. This past season there were no openings on weekends so we ended up scheduling Rutgers on Monday night.
OK, neat. Generally big duals then. As to not being able to sell out any but the biggest matchups, see Rutgers from last February, which was attended by just over 12,000 in BJC.

Reactions: hlstone
OK, neat. Generally big duals then. As to not being able to sell out any but the biggest matchups, see Rutgers from last February, which was attended by just over 12,000 in BJC.
Low comprehension I see. Please say you didn't actually read my post. There were NO open weekend dates at the BJC on a weekend that had an opponent in town. Do you understand that? In addition, they scheduled Rutgers on a Monday night in the winter with a storm. Most travel over 2 hours through the mountains to get to State College. Their is only one BIG team that would travel to State College for a wrestling dual on a Monday and that's Rutgers, who was originally scheduled at Rec for Sunday. Does Iowa wrestle on Monday nights?

Low comprehension I see. Please say you didn't actually read my post. There were NO open weekend dates at the BJC on a weekend that had an opponent in town. Do you understand that? In addition, they scheduled Rutgers on a Monday night in the winter with a storm. Most travel over 2 hours through the mountains to get to State College. Their is only one BIG team that would travel to State College for a wrestling dual on a Monday and that's Rutgers, who was originally scheduled at Rec for Sunday. Does Iowa wrestle on Monday nights?
man quit your crying

Reactions: moosemonster

You are forgetting the fact that the BJC sat empty Friday, February 2nd while Penn State hosted Ohio State in Rec Hall. In fact, There was nothing scheduled at the BJC between the women’s basketball game on Sunday, January 28th until the women’s basketball game on Saturday, February 3rd at 6pm.

Granted, it is possible that when they were finalizing the wrestling schedule in October there was a hold on the BJC for a potential concert on February 2nd. However, Penn State could have moved the Buckeye dual to the BJC if they wanted to.

So the men’s BB team moved out of Rec Hall 28 years ago to play home games at BJC, and the wrestling team has to play second fiddle? Sounds fishy.

So the men’s BB team moved out of Rec Hall 28 years ago to play home games at BJC, and the wrestling team has to play second fiddle? Sounds fishy.

The money from the television contracts allows the men’s basketball program to rent the BJC and still turn a profit. Title IX pretty much requires that the women play their games there as well. No wrestling program turns a profit.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
They hold most of their duals in Rec Hall, which holds fewer than 7000. They do the big ones in BJC, which holds over 15,000. I sort of doubt they could sell out BJC everytime, unless someone like Iowa or tOSU is in town.
This is very close to spot on correct.

All I know is that when PSU has a dual at the big arena, I get to meet up with a bunch of my old wrestling buddies and chat before and after the dual.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
They did in January this year. And notwithstanding the unusual ownership/funding of BJC, the overall point remains that they try to schedule marquee duals there when possible.

Some of you PSU guys are way too thin skinned about everything said on an IOWA board. Just be satisfied with the current level of dominance for once. The attendance thing is cool, but no one here would take that over winning titles. All you had to say to be an effective troll was that there's nothing else for Iowans to do in the winter besides milk their goats, so they flock to Carver en masse.

They did in January this year. And notwithstanding the unusual ownership/funding of BJC, the overall point remains that they try to schedule marquee duals there when possible.

Some of you PSU guys are way too thin skinned about everything said on an IOWA board. Just be satisfied with the current level of dominance for once. The attendance thing is cool, but no one here would take that over winning titles. All you had to say to be an effective troll was that there's nothing else for Iowans to do in the winter besides milk their goats, so they flock to Carver en masse.
What about cornholing?

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Haven't been to one since 19-20

Good for us.
But our wrestlers need to get out of their gray space and inflict actual wrestling upon thine opponent.

Hebrews 11. 1
"Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, convictions of things not seen"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT