ADVERTISEMENT

Hayden Fry's son passes away

Yes cancer suck I lost my wife on Sept 24 . At her funeral I spoke and said cancer can kiss my ass. How long does this go on. we can send a man to the moon but we can't stop this. I'm working on myself I will see you this fall go Hawkeyes
Whenever you ask a question that appears to have no answer, the answer is money. There is more money to be made in the treatment of cancer than the cure of cancer. I lost my mom to cancer in 1974. Lost my dad in 2003. The only difference in their treatment was the cost. I and too many others share your pain. #CancerSucks

They were all at a game recently. Seems like last year maybe? All his boys were there and introduced in field.
I recall one in particular in the 1980's , I think it might have been randy but it could have been this guy because I recall him being redheaded on TV. used to be the hawkeye games were broadcast on a dallas radio station as an affiliate, when hayden was there

Whenever you ask a question that appears to have no answer, the answer is money. There is more money to be made in the treatment of cancer than the cure of cancer. I lost my mom to cancer in 1974. Lost my dad in 2003. The only difference in their treatment was the cost. I and too many others share your pain. #CancerSucks
I lost both of my parents to cancer too. It rips your heart out to watch them pass that way.

Add insult to injury, the survival rate hasn't improved very much any either.

cancer_sucks_4.jpg

My son had leukemia when he was 16, but beat it. Cancer is a Chinese water torture, I don't know what my like would have been like if he hadn't survived it.

This is where this country's horrible fiscal policies come into place. There is no extra money to fight this hideous disease that takes so many loved ones from us in such an horrific manner.

Believe in science. They will come up with an answer. I saw my mom go through cancer twice. The second time she wasn’t so lucky. Sorry about your wife.
Yeah that's a great thought. Believe in science. Science is all about politics and money for big pharma now. Back when people had ethics it was true. Not any more.
World is screwed.
Follow the science, the new political buzz phrase.

Reactions: RomanHawk
Yeah that's a great thought. Believe in science. Science is all about politics and money for big pharma now. Back when people had ethics it was true. Not any more.
World is screwed.
Follow the science, the new political buzz phrase.
Lmao. You yearn for the good ol days of medical ethics? With very little respect you have no idea what you are talking about. Follow the science isn’t a buzz phrase. It’s a plea for those with very little knowledge or education to trust professionals. You and your ilk make it a buzz phrase.

Yes cancer suck I lost my wife on Sept 24 . At her funeral I spoke and said cancer can kiss my ass. How long does this go on. we can send a man to the moon but we can't stop this. I'm working on myself I will see you this fall go Hawkeyes
The moon is not that far away

Lmao. You yearn for the good ol days of medical ethics? With very little respect you have no idea what you are talking about. Follow the science isn’t a buzz phrase. It’s a plea for those with very little knowledge or education to trust professionals. You and your ilk make it a buzz phrase.
The challenge is that some of the professionals have been shown to have a proclivity for following the money rather than the science. So for the rest of us with very little knowledge or education we worry about people such as yourself that blindly trust the professionals without questioning them. Somewhere between the uneducated masses and the blindly following the 'science' there is a spot where we should be.

100% - If a cure is found, several people become world famous and enjoy the riches that go with that. Until then, countless make fortunes on medications and treatments. As always, follow the money. May he and all others RIP.

The challenge is that some of the professionals have been shown to have a proclivity for following the money rather than the science. So for the rest of us with very little knowledge or education we worry about people such as yourself that blindly trust the professionals without questioning them. Somewhere between the uneducated masses and the blindly following the 'science' there is a spot where we should be.
I am a medical professional (doctorate level), it doesn’t mean my opinion is always right but at least I can appreciate the nuance behind science and critically evaluate it.

Problem with the internet is it lends credence to anonymity. You firmly believe your (by your own admission) uneducated opinion is more valid than mine. Fair enough. That’s a whole other conversation for another day and this is not the appropriate thread for it.

Reactions: Adam Jacobi
I am a medical professional (doctorate level), it doesn’t mean my opinion is always right but at least I can appreciate the nuance behind science and critically evaluate it.

Problem with the internet is it lends credence to anonymity. You firmly believe your (by your own admission) uneducated opinion is more valid than mine. Fair enough. That’s a whole other conversation for another day and this is not the appropriate thread for it.
How much of the science have you critically evaluated? I mean deep dive evaluated.
As far as noticing nuance you may have to brush up on your sarcasm detection. I am not uneducated and I don't believe that my opinion is more valid than yours or others.
It is interesting what we can gather from science. I have a son that had an illness, initial course of action form two hospitals, 4 separate doctors, a 19 year old college athlete would go through the rest of his life with a 15 minute max walking restriction and the restriction to lift up to 25 pounds max for the rest of his life and be on a variety of medicines for his condition.
Thankfully we pursued another direction and another hospital/Doctor who ......while seeing the same science decided against that course of treatment. He was actually surprised that the other professionals looked at the 'science' and essentially gave this kid an incredibly difficult course for the rest of his life. No idea what he did behind the scenes to research what science they others had seen. My son was able to finish his college career without the albatross of the treatment that the other professionals had decided. Were they just being risk adverse? Could be, were they just wrong? could be? was my sons success just a fluke and he got lucky? Could be.
Fortunately in my uneducated state I knew how to evaluate the science, knew people who knew more than I did and knew people who could get my son into one of the top hospitals in the country for his condition. Science isn't infallible, scientists aren't infallible.
I am not always comfortable in knowing that researchers being paid by the ABC company have determined that the course of treatment that the ABC company provides is the best direction we can go. If you are digging into the research and the methodology than good for you. I hope there are people such as yourself doing those things for the rest of us dummies.

I'm a cancer researcher and lost my mom to cancer. It's the only thing that motivates me to go to work every day, 7 days a week. I won't cure anything but I hope to build some foundation.

My sincerest condolences.

Lmao. You yearn for the good ol days of medical ethics? With very little respect you have no idea what you are talking about. Follow the science isn’t a buzz phrase. It’s a plea for those with very little knowledge or education to trust political propagandists. You and your ilk make it a buzz phrase.
FIFY

Your biggest legitimate complaint would be not enough research dollars being spent on the disease. There is no evidence that a would-be cure is being ignored or suppressed.

As for the disease, I think the process was a lot easier for everyone way back when nobody understood what exactly cancer was -- you just got really sick and died pretty quick.

Cancer is an amazing puzzle. I had seven years ago and barely survived and its come back again. It is what it is and fight another day.
Indeed. Perhaps the biggest medical "puzzle" of our time. All of us guys are destined to get prostate or colon cancer if we live long enough. It's just a matter of time. Male cancers of this sort are actually much more prevalant than women's breast cancer. (which is also terrible)

One of our circle of college buds was just diagnosed and has begun treatment. As is often the case...he's one of the healthiest looking of our bunch. Never seems to make sense.

Hope you're well, Budweb.

Yeah, some of us trusted "the science" and lost friends immediately after they received the vaccine.

The above post referencing money nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT