ADVERTISEMENT

HBO host says Democrats 'have to answer for' how they 'completely lost control' over schools

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Bill Maher says Biden administration 'all in' on pushing trans indoctrination with kids

HBO host says Democrats 'have to answer for' how they 'completely lost control' over schools

"I thought a great subject to talk about would be schools, because they're in the news a lot," Maher began the panel discussion on Friday. "We live in a prison yard in this country, which is everything is tribal. And like anything that has to do with schools or education is something really the Democrats have to answer for because they control it. I mean, when you look at the Democratic Convention, it's like three-quarters of them are teachers. My sister's a teacher. I'm a big defender of teachers, but what's going on in schools is outrageous, and somebody needs to answer for it."

Maher highlighted a recent incident in Virginia where a six-year-old brought his mother's gun to school and shot his teacher and how the school librarian told the press how "routine" teachers, students and other staff are assaulted.

"How did we completely lose control?" Maher asked. "How could any kid learn in this atmosphere when you can't even survive? And these are all schools. This is not just inner-city schools. I hear this anecdotally from people. We've completely lost control of our schools."

"Why does a four-year-old come in, instead of teaching them the colors, you're telling them, ‘Pick your pronoun’? Where on earth did that come from? And who told us it was going to be imposed on children?" Sullivan asked. "More and more, when you look at this curriculum, it's all about that stuff. It's all about identity, it's all about being queer or trans. Children can't understand that stuff, not in kindergarten."

Full article:

What happens when private schools increase their price? Funding to private schools increase too?
So what happens when public funding goes up? If the private school is getting better results for kids shouldn’t you want more money going to them? I don’t get the point.

Reactions: Pinehawk
So what happens when public funding goes up? If the private school is getting better results for kids shouldn’t you want more money going to them? I don’t get the point.
That went way over your head. If the school just raises prices then the funding will just chase that price. Unless the long game is to build private schools all over the state, those schools can’t include everyone so the “financial limits” will never go away. It seems like common sense to just spend money making public schools better.

The problem with your query is that even if it were true that private schools all lap public schools in performance - they don’t in reality; there aren’t enough private schools to support more than a small percentage of kids. So no matter what, it still needs to be addressed on how to fix the issues that do exist in public schools.

Reactions: RileyHawk
What happens when private schools increase their price? Funding to private schools increase too?
Love it when the other viewpoint just makes up something and says ‘well, what about this scenario I just thought up!’

The voucher thing is going to backfire on the big supporters. Because as soon as public money goes into the pot, there’s gonna be strings attached. And those strings are called “quotas”. Which means “bye bye merit based entry exams”. All that’s gonna happen is the birth of “super private schools” that don’t take any voucher money and the current crop of private schools are gonna get saddled with the same problems as the public schools.

Because once you let the same set of crappy parents into the equation, shit’s gonna go down hill quickly,

Another thing someone is sure will happen, that they just thought up.

Love it when the other viewpoint just makes up something and says ‘well, what about this scenario I just thought up!’
I love it when you and others who support this farce completely dynasties when asked simple questions about the execution.

Here's an example - how are private schools going to accept all the public school students who want to attend beyond their capacity?

The voucher thing is going to backfire on the big supporters. Because as soon as public money goes into the pot, there’s gonna be strings attached. And those strings are called “quotas”. Which means “bye bye merit based entry exams”. All that’s gonna happen is the birth of “super private schools” that don’t take any voucher money and the current crop of private schools are gonna get saddled with the same problems as the public schools.

Because once you let the same set of crappy parents into the equation, shit’s gonna go down hill quickly,

Stings attached have to be codified into law. Do you think the proposed bill in Iowa will have strings attached?

That headline should read Des Moines Public Schools are currently taking 10 million in funds for kids they aren’t educating.

The money should follow the student.
The way we’ve been doing things, is not working.

That headline should read Des Moines Public Schools are currently taking 10 million in funds for kids they aren’t educating.

And using some of to build a new and unnecessary soccer and football stadium by the Drake campus.

Public schools are receiving little to no increase for budgets meanwhile private schools have tapped into a new pot of money.
Considering they have better graduation rates and college placement, I think it’s great they will be given more money to help less unfortunate kids in the area. This is great news!

The ones I’m familiar with are more diverse than you might expect.
Great. I’m talking about ones with entrance exams. Many of these schools are dreading the voucher possibility, because they have things exactly how they want them. Shoot, many of them were started during de-segregation for that exact reason. Now they’re gonna be forced to accept the vouchers and soon forced to lower their entry standards.

If that’s not the case, get ready to see those entry standards begin to go up at other schools. Because you’re gonna see “white flight” from those schools just as with everything else. I hear it all the time from people who transfer their kids. “We didn’t like the direction things were going in terms of culture.” Meaning, “They’re letting in too many minorities.”

It’s a shitty outlook but it’s real. I know it because I’ve been fighting my entire career to try to get these places to loosen things up in the name of diversity. Because, there just aren’t many Christian McCaffreys out there.

Maybe the money should follow the tax payer.

I’m not aware of any private schools with ‘entrance exams’ around here.
Maybe that will begin, maybe it won’t?
That’s for the schools to determine in the changing landscape.
But, right now, for Iowa, that’s just a made up hypothetical, to help make your point.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Bill Maher says Biden administration 'all in' on pushing trans indoctrination with kids

"I thought a great subject to talk about would be schools, because they're in the news a lot," Maher began the panel discussion on Friday. "We live in a prison yard in this country, which is everything is tribal. And like anything that has to do with schools or education is something really the Democrats have to answer for because they control it. I mean, when you look at the Democratic Convention, it's like three-quarters of them are teachers. My sister's a teacher. I'm a big defender of teachers, but what's going on in schools is outrageous, and somebody needs to answer for it."

Maher highlighted a recent incident in Virginia where a six-year-old brought his mother's gun to school and shot his teacher and how the school librarian told the press how "routine" teachers, students and other staff are assaulted.

"How did we completely lose control?" Maher asked. "How could any kid learn in this atmosphere when you can't even survive? And these are all schools. This is not just inner-city schools. I hear this anecdotally from people. We've completely lost control of our schools."

"Why does a four-year-old come in, instead of teaching them the colors, you're telling them, ‘Pick your pronoun’? Where on earth did that come from? And who told us it was going to be imposed on children?" Sullivan asked. "More and more, when you look at this curriculum, it's all about that stuff. It's all about identity, it's all about being queer or trans. Children can't understand that stuff, not in kindergarten."

Full article:

Like I said earlier this week- Republicans own Iowa. You say you’re the party of law and order. Make laws that enforce discipline in our public schools. Fix the behavior issues BY LAW. I’m all for it because school board policies are not enforced. Because lawsuits. Change. The. Laws.

Considering they have better graduation rates and college placement, I think it’s great they will be given more money to help less unfortunate kids in the area. This is great news!
The reason they have better graduation rates and college placement is the students have wealthier families (not necessarily rich, but enough money to afford private school). If the private schools were required to educate anyone and everyone their graduation rates and placement would fall as well.

I really don't understand why private school advocates don't understand the reason they do better is because of the fact they can exclude kids that are difficult to teach, public schools can not.

He isn’t wrong. We all know you’re pro private school and don’t give 2 shits about the 95% of Iowa children that won’t be served by them. You’ve made that clear.

• Sad
The reason they have better graduation rates and college placement is the students have wealthier families (not necessarily rich, but enough money to afford private school). If the private schools were required to educate anyone and everyone their graduation rates and placement would fall as well.

I really don't understand why private school advocates don't understand the reason they do better is because of the fact they can exclude kids that are difficult to teach, public schools can not.
Yup. And that’s why entrance exams exist. We boast a 100% college placement rate. But that entrance test lets them know that rate isn’t in jeopardy by letting in a flier.

Not exactly. They have better graduation rates because the parents who send their kids to private school actually act like parents. They all take their kids' education seriously and don't treat the school like free daycare. I'm not saying that all public school kids' parents are like that, just enough of them to make the school environment counterproductive to learning. All too often, school kids are out of control and the faculty is powerless to do anything. That isn't the case in private school.

Do they? Even the field and is there a real difference? Honestly?
Me thinks not really. Remember in especially urban areas, private schools gave choices and pick those who have advantages built into the academic equation.,
315 u r playing on a field tilted in your favor.

You’re effing clueless.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT