ADVERTISEMENT

HBO host says Democrats 'have to answer for' how they 'completely lost control' over schools

Not exactly. They have better graduation rates because the parents who send their kids to private school actually act like parents. They all take their kids' education seriously and don't treat the school like free daycare. I'm not saying that all public school kids' parents are like that, just enough of them to make the school environment counterproductive to learning. All too often, school kids are out of control and the faculty is powerless to do anything. That isn't the case in private school.
It both. Engaged parents and an ability to be selective lead to higher graduation rates. It's a decent system to complement public education.

The reason they have better graduation rates and college placement is the students have wealthier families (not necessarily rich, but enough money to afford private school). If the private schools were required to educate anyone and everyone their graduation rates and placement would fall as well.

I really don't understand why private school advocates don't understand the reason they do better is because of the fact they can exclude kids that are difficult to teach, public schools can not.
It breaks their narrative. They can’t handle being wrong.

Do they? Even the field and is there a real difference? Honestly?
Me thinks not really. Remember in especially urban areas, private schools gave choices and pick those who have advantages built into the academic equation.,
315 u r playing on a field tilted in your favor.
Are you saying I’m playing in a tilted field in my favor bc I went to private school? If so, then why not let someone who otherwise would not have a chance to play on that same field?

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
It breaks their narrative. They can’t handle being wrong.
I completely agree with what he’s saying except the entrance exam part bc in my area none of the schools have entrance exams. I agree with him and that is why I want to see a kid with less opportunities get a chance to have a leg up. I don’t understand why you don’t get that. I guess bc it breaks your narrative and you can’t handle being wrong.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Not exactly. They have better graduation rates because the parents who send their kids to private school actually act like parents. They all take their kids' education seriously and don't treat the school like free daycare. I'm not saying that all public school kids' parents are like that, just enough of them to make the school environment counterproductive to learning. All too often, school kids are out of control and the faculty is powerless to do anything. That isn't the case in private school.
I agree, but I think wealth is tied to parent involvement in many cases. Some parents that are barely scraping by simply don't have the time, energy, or funds to be actively involved. Also many of those poor parents didn't have a good role model for what parenting is supposed to look like. One of the biggest factors in children's success or failure in school is their parent's education level and value for education itself.

I completely agree with what he’s saying except the entrance exam part bc in my area none of the schools have entrance exams. I agree with him and that is why I want to see a kid with less opportunities get a chance to have a leg up. I don’t understand why you don’t get that. I guess bc it breaks your narrative and you can’t handle being wrong.
That isn’t going to happen. We’ve explained this to you a dozen times. Again, I love how people who aren’t in education think that they know more than those who are. You’re one of these ignorant people. We’re telling you what’s going to happen and how it’s going to NOT POSITIVELY AFFECT kids in poverty and with learning disabilities…but no…you think you know better. You don’t.

Are you saying I’m playing in a tilted field in my favor bc I went to private school? If so, then why not let someone who otherwise would not have a chance to play on that same field?
I would IF they took every kid who knocked at their door. The fact is, they don’t. Private schools pick and choose and limit their liabilities.
I have ni problems with private schools… just no tax money should be directed their direction . No public tax money whatsoever……unless they become subject to the sane rules as public schools and agree to be operated by folks from the general public, freely elected.

Considering they have better graduation rates and college placement, I think it’s great they will be given more money to help less unfortunate kids in the area. This is great news!
Lol - you finally said something correct.

Well, maybe some of these people that think of public school as daycare should be encouraged to send their kids to private school.

Kimmie will certainly undertake an public service initiative to educate all parents as to the benefits of school choice. She'll make sure that all Iowans are given equal access to all educational opportunities./s

Reactions: Tom Paris
Nailed it. Private schools do a fantastic job at graduating kids who are already a step ahead of the rest. They also get to skip over kids who have disabilities, those pesky kids who need support, or those kids who are learning English, and whose hard working parents have 3 jobs in order to fund vouchers for other kids.

Explain something to me. Liberals are always asking for more money bc they need to have more “resources” which means pay the teachers more. If pay is a big hurdle for better teachers and therefore better results then why are private schools where teachers make less money don’t have state pensions at private schools produce better results?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
So the problem kid in a public school decides he wants to go to a private school because it's paid for. The private school now has to take him?

I love it when you and others who support this farce completely dynasties when asked simple questions about the execution.

Here's an example - how are private schools going to accept all the public school students who want to attend beyond their capacity?
For profit charter schools will fill the gap. Don't worry. Kimmie has a plan that will best serve Iowa's better off students, and get her national prominence. Maybe even the VP slot in 2024.

So the problem kid in a public school decides he wants to go to a private school because it's paid for. The private school now has to take him?
What type of problem kid? Problem like he’s already kicked out of public school and in alt ed or someone who has a few ISP or OSPs?

Explain something to me. Liberals are always asking for more money bc they need to have more “resources” which means pay the teachers more. If pay is a big hurdle for better teachers and therefore better results then why are private schools where teachers make less money don’t have state pensions at private schools produce better results?
BECAUSE THEY CHOOSE THEIR STUDENTS!

• Haha
A better question would be why is the government's role to make access to a private education "easier".
I’m not sure the government “needs” to but I’m also not sure the government needs to provide for a lot of things that it does. So we are going to pick and choose where we want to government involved why not this? Or is it bc you’re afraid kids will learn religion?

I’m not sure the government “needs” to but I’m also not sure the government needs to provide for a lot of things that it does. So we are going to pick and choose where we want to government involved why not this? Or is it bc you’re afraid kids will learn religion?
Do you agree with the government providing education for our children?

The reason they have better graduation rates and college placement is the students have wealthier families (not necessarily rich, but enough money to afford private school). If the private schools were required to educate anyone and everyone their graduation rates and placement would fall as well.

I really don't understand why private school advocates don't understand the reason they do better is because of the fact they can exclude kids that are difficult to teach, public schools can not.
There might also be something to the belief that some private schools pass along kids because their wealthier parents get cranky if their kid doesn't get top marks. There is a reason Fred Trump sent Donald to a private school.

• Haha
I think public schools should use this as a way to deal with problem students. Kick them out and give them info about the voucher program.

• Haha
Did the local public school provide the resources needed to educate the student? Did your school have a speech pathologist, a special education department, access to occupational and physical therapy in house?

Listen to the clip in the tweet below.

This is the stuff that advocates need to plaster on Facebook, and put into small town media.
I have seen no polling to suggest that the majority of Iowans are in favor of this legislation. You have people like Northern who hate Lib teachers and unions, so they are good with it. You have Pinehawk with his self interested narrative based on straw men and misinformation. But, you can't find polls that say the majority of Iowans want their tax dollars diverted from their public schools to private/for profit schools.

• Haha
I think public schools should use this as a way to deal with problem students. Kick them out and give them info about the voucher program.
They already do. We had several kids at my school who were asked to leave public school and instead of sending them to alt ed our school gave them a chance and free education. Now the school will get a voucher.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
@315hawkfan
There is no use arguing with idiots. You won’t change their mind. They won’t change ours. Just sit back and wait and watch what happens with the bill. If it passes, great! If not, nothing changes. No big deal.

Well that's the debate no matter if anyone likes it or not. My surface opinion would be, why if you're not happy with the current state of play in Iowa public schools why would you want the state expanding it's role in the private sector?

Reactions: gohawks50
Exactly. And they have entrance exams and pick their students so why aren’t you against them?
JFC - they have qualifications within the public school system. Like TAG. Or Special Ed fur that matter. It's not to get in the door for a basic education.

• Haha
Well that's the debate weather anyone likes it or not. My surface opinion would be, why if you're not happy with the current state of play in Iowa public schools why would you want the state expanding it's role in the private sector?
Exactly, if the bill really provides choice for everyone then private schools will be facing the same problems public schools do now. But we both know not everyone will have a choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT